Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:00 AM

Mein Auto: RIP 2011 X5 50i
Question 550 GT Model Changes 12-13?

I'm helping a relative shop GT's and wonder if one of the experts here could provide some info. They test drove a '13 yesterday (loved it), but also noted that the dealer had a number of '12 550 GT's on the lot with massive discounts. They were new cars (ie: 30 miles on one odo), and loaded to the gills with features.

The basic question is, can someone help me identify exactly the model changes between the US 2012 and 2013 550 GT's? I'm aware of the engine hp update (already dealing with sales reps insisting the '12 engine is identical to the '13), but am also looking for more hard-to-note features (like the black panel display, A.S.S., LED headlights, etc).

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by sddjd; 03-19-2013 at 01:06 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 03-19-2013, 06:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
I am not an expert but I suspect that there is very little in the way of difference. If you can get a new, loaded '12 at a great price them that is a great value-proposition. If it were me, I 'd go that route. It will be interesting to see what others weigh in with. Good luck.
Old 03-19-2013, 07:10 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
They made some fairly significant increases in standard equipment between 2011 and 2012, but I don't remember much of anything between the 2012 and 2013 models. Then, I didn't look too hard.
Old 03-20-2013, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive GT
Buying a 2013 550i xDrive

Nav Pro started with the July 2012 roll-outs and from what I have read is significant.
The bump of 45 bhp that you noted in the 550 and of course the torque.
It has ECONO-PRO mode that I don't think was on the 2012's if that's important to them.

You may like to look here too:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=691429
Old 03-20-2013, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 535i GT
When did they intorduce the touch pannel on the iDrive? Or has that happened yet? That is one thing I would really like to have (but not enough to ditch my '12...)

FWIW
DLM
Old 03-20-2013, 01:40 PM

From reading, not hands on, my understanding is that the touch panel ( the surface of a slightly larger i-drive "puck" controller) will be touch responsive to pinches and finger movements. It is released in CHINA and may hit the USA on the next release.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/07/11/b...ion-infotainm/
Old 03-21-2013, 08:18 PM

Send a message via ICQ to GTitis2013
Mein Auto: 2014 335i GT,2010 Audi S4
Not an expert, but I read somewhere that the touchpad will come for most models in July with the MY2014. The 2013 engine update though does not only provide more torque/hp, but should get significantly better fuel efficiency due to Valvetronic (at least on paper) and it has the ecopro option.
Old 03-21-2013, 10:41 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 535GT
'13 have the intenet .....hehe,very easy
Old 03-23-2013, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 M5

All Models

Please note the following changes applying to all MY13 July production models:

- The “snowflake” button for air conditioning will be changed to “A/C”
- The “CD” button on the iDrive controller will be changed to “Media”
- xDrive badge will be re-located from the front fender to the left side of the rear trunk lid for all Sedans, Coupes, and Convertibles.

Navigation system updates (609)

Starting as of July 2012 production, the next generation Navigation Professional system (609) will be available on the 5 Series Sedan, 5 Series Gran Turismo, 7 Series Sedan and ActiveHybrid 3.

This new system offers faster processing and an enhanced design over the current system and incorporates several great new features:
• Streamlined radio/media menu structure
• Improved navigation submenu structure
• Advanced Real-Time Traffic Information
• Weather information in navigation map
• POI enrichment*
• GoogleTM autocomplete*
* requires BMW Assist Convenience Plan.
Old 03-23-2013, 11:04 AM

Question on Tailgate

Hi tonyscv ... I saw the hands free tailgate listed for the F07 too but my CA says not so for USA model builds. My 550i xDrive GT is in production. Have you heard from any west coast CA's if infant it will be on it. I did order Exec package which includes Comfort Access.. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 535iX GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ductordoc View Post
Hi tonyscv ... I saw the hands free tailgate listed for the F07 too but my CA says not so for USA model builds. My 550i xDrive GT is in production. Have you heard from any west coast CA's if infant it will be on it. I did order Exec package which includes Comfort Access.. Thanks.
Shhhhh, don't tell the guys at the factory. My MY13 535i, built Aug '12, most certainly has the hands-free tailgate.

2010 535i: Deep Sea Blue | Natural Brown | ED: 6-Aug-2009 | 2013 535iX GT: Neptune Blue | Venetian Beige | ED: 31-Aug-2012
Old 03-24-2013, 04:09 AM

WOW .. i'mma keeping my fingers crossed. BTW your car look beautiful; we go get ours in 3 weeks and are very anxious.

Last edited by Ductordoc; 03-24-2013 at 04:12 AM.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:14 PM

Thanks! To me, the GT is a gorgeous car. There are countless "love it or hate it" threads, so no need to belabor that point.... For what The Mrs and I wanted in this car -- size, comfort, cruising ability, performance -- it is the perfect blend for us.

2010 535i: Deep Sea Blue | Natural Brown | ED: 6-Aug-2009 | 2013 535iX GT: Neptune Blue | Venetian Beige | ED: 31-Aug-2012
Old 03-27-2013, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
This is a very informative thread. Iwas going to wait for the 2014 to get the Pro Navi and hands free tailgate but I see they are in the 2013.

@simiclyde Your photo is one of nicest photos on the Neptune Blue I've seen. Can I ask why you picked that color? Living in Florida, I can't really go with that interior color as I'm not old enough. :-) Since you shopped that exterior color, do you think Neptune Blue goes with the Cinnamon interior?
Old 03-27-2013, 09:46 AM

I would double check with your CA as here in Asheville, NC they still say that the hands-free tailgate is NOT an option an dis NOT included with Comfort Access.
I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprised when I get it but am preparing for no hands-free tailgate. Thre have been articles saying Active Steering is also available on the GT XDrives (previously only the RWD) but my CA says it is not an option.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErnestHouse View Post
This is a very informative thread. I was going to wait for the 2014 to get the Pro Navi and hands free tailgate but I see they are in the 2013.

@simiclyde Your photo is one of nicest photos on the Neptune Blue I've seen. Can I ask why you picked that color? Living in Florida, I can't really go with that interior color as I'm not old enough. :-) Since you shopped that exterior color, do you think Neptune Blue goes with the Cinnamon interior?
@ernesthouse: The previous car was Deep Sea Blue, with "Natural Brown" leather. Since I'm a bit lazy when it comes to washing the car, I wanted a lighter color that would do a little better job of hiding the dirt between washes. However, I didn't want to have yet another white/silver/grey car, like all the rest here in "The Raider Nation". The chameleon nature of the color -- more grey when the sky is grey and more blue when the sky is blue -- makes it a pretty cool color, IMHO. She Who Must Be Heard was of the opinion that Cinnamon Brown was "too brown" to go with Neptune Blue. She used a little coarser comparison, but the sentiment was clear....

Now, you know what might be really cool -- Estoril Blue, with a Coral Red Interior as part of an M-Sport configuration. Allegedly you can do such custom things, albeit with no small amount of effort. However, I'm not that patient.

Yup, I'd order that up if it were readily available.

Back to reality land.... I wasn't so sure on the color combination of Neptune Blue w/Venetian Beige, but had a chance to see Neptune Blue w/Ivory, and "She Who" was sold.

One consideration for Cinnamon, Ivory and Black interiors -- they are black for the lower half of the interior (lower door panel, floor, carpet), and so do a very good job of hiding dirt from the Boss Lady's shoes. Interestingly, the kids don't create near the mess.....

As a consequence, several people have equipped their cars with a nice durable set of interior mats. I'm about ready to order a set myself (see cocomats.com).

Sorry for the ramble, but hopefully some of this is useful....

Old 03-29-2013, 05:09 PM
God is on vacation

Mein Auto: BMW 535 GT
hands free

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimiClyde View Post
Shhhhh, don't tell the guys at the factory. My MY13 535i, built Aug '12, most certainly has the hands-free tailgate.

MINES A 2011 and I have the handsfree tailgate, if thats means using my key to open n shut without touching the tailgate
Old 03-29-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devgil View Post
MINES A 2011 and I have the handsfree tailgate, if thats means using my key to open n shut without touching the tailgate
The Touchless or Hands-free tailgate I'm referring to requires your key on your person and a foot wave under the rear bumper. No hands, no pushing a fob button. It has been available for a couple years on the sedan and is included in the sedan build web page when you highlight comfort access. It is, obviously, only capable of opening the tailgate. To be used when your hands are full. There have been reports that it is now on the MY2013 GT but my CA does not agree, in fact says that it is not an option. Two other bloggers here, however, say that their MY2013 GTs do have it..

Last edited by Ductordoc; 03-29-2013 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:50 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
Simi, I laughed out loud at your "She Who Must Be Heard" reference. I take it that is one level below "She Who Must Be Obeyed". I can also guess that her description of the brown colour referred to what can come out of the south end of a northbound baby. Am I right? ( I call it BSB if you know what I mean

That said, all the interior colours look good in a GT IMHO but mine came with black Nappa Leather (as a BMW Canada executive-driven vehicle) which does not show marks that the lighter colours can. If I was ordering one I would likely opt for black mainly for practical reasons - with Comfort front seats, of course.