Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 03-30-2013, 07:10 PM
dmoney

Mein Auto: 535i Sport,335is vert
13.6 miles on the new car and it went blotto

I just picked up a new 2013 328i xDrive M Sport sedan today, signed all of the paperwork, left the dealership and was exactly 3.6 miles away when the car died while going about 40mph. I was able pull over and restart it. The display was OIL PRESSURE DANGEROUSLY LOW, PLEASE DO NOT DRIVE ...or something like that. I was able to drive it to the dealer, and after about an hour, they said that it required a software upgrade that would take 3+ hours. (This was late in the afternoon today and their service was closed.)

Talk about FRUSTRATING. Before this happened, I was so thinking about spending another 5k and getting the 335i xDrive (which the dealer had NONE in stock and they would have to get one for me from a dealer up in NY.). I talked myself out of the 335 with the help of the dealer talking me out of the 335...

Now I am left without my brand new car for awhile. (They gave me an X5 loaner.)

Thoughts on what to do???

Has this ever happened to any of you? This car only had 10 miles on it when I left the dealership...and most of that was my test drive from the day before.
And then various other BMWs over the years including M5, 540i, 530ix, 740i Sport
Ads by Google
Old 03-30-2013, 07:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Sport Sedan
Years ago, we bought a Suburu Outback. Very next day, we took a trip to Grandmas house, and it broke down on the way there. We were stranded with 2 kids and totally pissed off. We had to call a tow truck, and we got our neighbor to pick us up (an hour away from our house).

Turned out to be the transmission, but after that, that car may have been the most reliable car we ever had...
Old 03-30-2013, 07:26 PM
///M Sport

Mein Auto: 2013 328i EBII M Sport
Sorry bro, terrible QC! Don't know what some dealers get paid for, they're worse than useless. My dealer, Rusnak, sold me a $53K F30 with corroded seats. If it wasn't for my own due diligence I'd never have known. Love my car but I have genuine concerns about BMW's quality control.

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats
Old 03-30-2013, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Pipes View Post
Sorry bro, terrible QC! Don't know what some dealers get paid for, they're worse than useless. My dealer, Rusnak, sold me a $53K F30 with corroded seats. If it wasn't for my own due diligence I'd never have known. Love my car but I have genuine concerns about BMW's quality control.
How did you find out that the seats were corroded?
Old 03-30-2013, 07:34 PM
///M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieXDriver View Post
How did you find out that the seats were corroded?
Noticed some rust on seat hinges, Googled it, discovered it was known issue, photographed under my seats with iPhone, and voila...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4285.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	368997  

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats
Old 03-30-2013, 07:38 PM
dmoney

So is there anything I can / should do?? Should I dump the car, although technically, once it hits the curb, it is mine. (I think the dealer would be somewhat sympathetic and might work with me.).
Should I suck it up and swap it out for a higher priced ($5k) 335i xDrive or should I swap it for a sport line alpine white with RED interior (I liked the look of the M sport better and the Dakota black leather better but had misgivings about the lack of fog lights on the M sport)...or should I just stick with the one that I signed the papers on...? It is a sharp looking car and for the 3.6 miles that I drove (not counting the test drive), it is fun to drive.
And then various other BMWs over the years including M5, 540i, 530ix, 740i Sport
Old 03-30-2013, 07:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnemer View Post
So is there anything I can / should do?? Should I dump the car, although technically, once it hits the curb, it is mine. (I think the dealer would be somewhat sympathetic and might work with me.).
Should I suck it up and swap it out for a higher priced ($5k) 335i xDrive or should I swap it for a sport line alpine white with RED interior (I liked the look of the M sport better and the Dakota black leather better but had misgivings about the lack of fog lights on the M sport)...or should I just stick with the one that I signed the papers on...? It is a sharp looking car and for the 3.6 miles that I drove (not counting the test drive), it is fun to drive.
I'd stick with it, but research your state's lemon laws. If it keeps happening, you may need to lemon it. But stuff happens, unfortunately, and maybe they can fix it for good.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:49 PM
///M Sport

3+ hours for a software upgrade? Pure speculation here but something smells fishy. Perhaps someone who experienced a 3+ hour software upgrade will chime in? Diagnosing the oil pressure and changing the oil could also take 3+ hours. I don't know what legal options you do or don't have or if the dealer will cooperate with you alternative scenarios. Good luck and use your radar!

Old 03-30-2013, 07:59 PM
dmoney

Pappy Pipes, I know, that is what I thought (re 3+ hours for a sw upgrade)...but this was after an hour waiting for them to diagnose (most of this done in service with one of their techs who was on the phone because service was closed.). A that point I was livid and just wanted to get the hell out of there.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:04 PM
///M Sport

Have a doobie, a wine, or whatever rings you chime, and take a deep breath. Tomorrow will be a better day. Perhaps it is a software glitch and nothing to worry about. Just use you BS detector!

Old 03-30-2013, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: 330i
We had the identical problem with my wife's 335 xdrive M Sport. 5 miles after taking delivery at the Performance Driving Center and we got the low oil pressure warning. This was late on a Friday afternoon. Called the PDC people and they told us to drive back over for diagnosis (they said that it was safe to drive). Turned out to be a bad oil pressure sensor. One hour later we were on our way. It's been a month an about 1200 miles and not problems. Maybe they had a bad batch of sensors. Ours was a late december 2012 build from Munich.

Last edited by jacques; 03-31-2013 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:20 PM
dmoney

Yep, Pappy, you are right. I am just having major buyer's remorse because of it. ...wondering if I will get used to car with annoying little things like no fog lights and this is crazy, but I can't believe the alarm doesn't chirp when the car is locked (like all of my other BMWs have.) This will take some getting used to...especially when I can't remember where I parked and I use the chirp as a homing signal in a bus parking lot.

The whole issue when I drove away from the dealer set me off.

Last edited by dnemer; 03-30-2013 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 08:35 PM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Quote:
Yep, Pappy, you are right. I am just having major buyer's remorse because of it. ...wondering if I will get used to car with annoying little things like no fog lights and this is crazy, but I can't believe the alarm doesn't chirp when the car is locked (like all of my other BMWs have.) This will take some getting used to...especially when I can't remember where I parked and I use the chirp as a homing signal in a bus parking lot.

The whole issue when I drove away from the dealer set me off.
Unfortunately the chirp when car is locked comes only with anti-theft alarm option in 328i(standard in 335i).
Old 03-30-2013, 08:43 PM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Whichever one of those you prefer. If you want out of it and you are firm about it they can unwind the deal with no detriment to them or to you.

Quote:
3+ hours for a software upgrade? Pure speculation here but something smells fishy. Perhaps someone who experienced a 3+ hour software upgrade will chime in? Diagnosing the oil pressure and changing the oil could also take 3+ hours. I don't know what legal options you do or don't have or if the dealer will cooperate with you alternative scenarios. Good luck and use your radar!
BMW software updates are usually multi-hour affairs. Nothing out of the ordinary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques View Post
We had the identical problem with my wife's 335 xdrive M Sport. 5 miles after taking delivery at the Performance Driving Center and we got the low oil pressure warning. This was late on a Friday afternoon. Called the PDC people and they told us to drive back over for diagnosis (they said that it was safe to drive). Turned out to be a bad oil pressure sensor. One hour later we were on our way. It's been a month an about 1200 miles and not problems. Maybe they had a bad batch of sensors. Ours was a late december 2013 build from Munich.
this

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

BMW CCA member #388003 - www.bmwcca.org Use me as a referral, you could win a one day ///M Driving School!
Old 03-30-2013, 10:17 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
3+ hours for an update is normal, been this way since at least the E90. when they do an progman (before)/ista (now) update, they update all eligible modules in the car, to bring them all to a compatible code level.

dealers will usually hold a car overnight for programming, its fairly common for module updates to fail initially and have to be restarted. the car basically cant be moved for the duration of the programming, and is connected to a power supply as the battery cannot sustain the needed voltage for the time programming takes.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:

Last edited by Orient330iNYC; 03-30-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:35 PM
Bimmefest Plasti-Dip Guru

Send a message via Skype™ to Teemo Panda
Mein Auto: E53, E46-M3, E70, F25-X3
ahh man, that must've sucked. I'm Glad you you and your passengers didn't get into an accident especially in a new car
Old 03-30-2013, 10:39 PM
///M Sport

@ Orient330... Thanks for the info!

Old 03-31-2013, 02:26 AM

Mein Auto: '13 335i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by namelessman View Post
Unfortunately the chirp when car is locked comes only with anti-theft alarm option in 328i(standard in 335i).
If you have the option, there's an idrive settings screen to turn the chirp on or off.

2013 335i Sport Line PPK | Alpine White/Coral Red | ZDH | ZCW | 2TB | ZTP | ZPP | 508+3AG | 5AC
Old 03-31-2013, 04:03 AM
dmoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques View Post
We had the identical problem with my wife's 335 xdrive M Sport. 5 miles after taking delivery at the Performance Driving Center and we got the low oil pressure warning. This was late on a Friday afternoon. Called the PDC people and they told us to drive back over for diagnosis (they said that it was safe to drive). Turned out to be a bad oil pressure sensor. One hour later we were on our way. It's been a month an about 1200 miles and not problems. Maybe they had a bad batch of sensors. Ours was a late december 2013 build from Munich.
Sounds the same....but you didn't have to do the software upgrade. Re your M Sport, does it bother you at all that there are no fog lights? (Or is it not a problem?)
Old 03-31-2013, 07:08 AM
Apay Kapoy

Mein Auto: 13 335i 02RSX5MT 06ML350
Quote:
I just picked up a new 2013 328i xDrive M Sport sedan today, signed all of the paperwork, left the dealership and was exactly 3.6 miles away when the car died while going about 40mph. I was able pull over and restart it. The display was OIL PRESSURE DANGEROUSLY LOW, PLEASE DO NOT DRIVE ...or something like that. I was able to drive it to the dealer, and after about an hour, they said that it required a software upgrade that would take 3+ hours. (This was late in the afternoon today and their service was closed.)

Talk about FRUSTRATING. Before this happened, I was so thinking about spending another 5k and getting the 335i xDrive (which the dealer had NONE in stock and they would have to get one for me from a dealer up in NY.). I talked myself out of the 335 with the help of the dealer talking me out of the 335...

Now I am left without my brand new car for awhile. (They gave me an X5 loaner.)

Thoughts on what to do???

Has this ever happened to any of you? This car only had 10 miles on it when I left the dealership...and most of that was my test drive from the day before.
Sorry about what happened.

This hasn't happened to me but I sure was expecting it.

I would have had it towed unless the dealer told me to drive it back.

It is frustrating...why can't dealerships do the software upgrades before they hand over the keys and save customers this aggravation?

If I were you I'd get another 328/335 xi unless you want to carry that memory. I'd wait even if it took a month. If they were a good dealership, they "should" give you something for your troubles (if I was the manager I would); if they don't, be happy they replaced it.

Good luck.
My 1st BMW-bought fr inbound inventory: Munich 2013 F30 335i, RWD, Alpine White, Black Leather, M-Sport Line/Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Prem Pkg, Tech Pkg, 403M (Potenza S001 RFT 225/40, 255/35 R19), Sport auto w/paddle shifters, Heated front seats, Harman Kardon, Aluminum Hex Trim matte EB accent, Anthracite headliner
Std: Xenon Adaptive Headlights/Sunroof/Alarm
Mods: Tint/DIY lower intake grill guard/ASS recoded
22K mi Jul14
Hergestellt in Deutschland
Old 03-31-2013, 09:43 AM

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Sounds the same....but you didn't have to do the software upgrade. Re your M Sport, does it bother you at all that there are no fog lights? (Or is it not a problem?)
Not having fog lights is not a big deal to me. I understand the reasons behind it.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:03 AM
dmoney

Update

FYI, the GM of the BMW dealer is a stand-up guy. When I was signing the papers, I had asked about the cost of the Wheel/Tire insurance...and when I was advised the cost, I passed. (I had tried to negotiate that into the deal, but that was a showstopper.)

The Monday after this happened, the BMW dealer GM let me know that because of my inconvenience with the car (just leaving the showroom floor and having it go kerplunk), he was including that wheel/tire insurance at no cost to me.

Here is what wrong and what they did to fix. (I am not sure why this software wasn't checked/updated before I took delivery of a brand new spankin' car. It does make me wonder about BMW QC):

It was a software issue that had to do with the reading of an external oil pressure sensor. The dealer did the s/w update and also replaced the sensor.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:

A totally annoying reality with no evident cause. Possibly they use 300 baud handset connections.

BMW, please. Move up. All the way up. Join us in the 21st Century.
Old 04-05-2013, 08:20 AM
dmoney

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Possibly they use 300 baud handset connections.

BMW, please. Move up. All the way up. Join us in the 21st Century.

;-)
Old 04-05-2013, 08:40 AM
Brakes?!?!?!

Mein Auto: 335i, Outback, '62 Vette
Quote:
Yep, Pappy, you are right. I am just having major buyer's remorse because of it.
This is exactly it, and something I bet we're all guilty of after writing a $40k+ check. I wouldn't start looking for a reason to get out of your car just yet.

Quick reality check is that something glitchy happened with the computers, not the mechanicals (the most important part!) and the dealer is getting it fixed for you. One time is a datapoint, twice is still just datapoints, 3 or more and you may have a trend. Just enjoy the car, don't sweat it and enjoy your 4 year warranty. If things get worse, lemon laws are there to protect you, and based on the experience of a friend, BMW is really good about taking care of customers in a "lemon" situation.