Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 1 Series / 2 Series > E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)

E82 / E88 1 Series (2008 - 2013)
BMWs throw back to the iconic 2002, with a renewed form and function. The smallest car in BMW's line up but still packs a punch. Available in coupe or convertible, powered by either an inline 6 in the 128 or the twin turbo rocket sled 135.

Old 03-28-2013, 03:26 AM

Mein Auto: E46 323i
Angry What have i done!? Car on Hoist Red Symbol 118i

Hi everyone,
Tonight i thought id play around with my OBC on my 06 e87 118i and i think i f*cked up!

Ok so every time i start the car i get an orange service light coming on. So I reset the symbol with a fan to the right and what looks like a radiaotor in the middle. After i did the reset and that seemed to make it go away.

However i think i might of reset too many things. I noticed that there was a few icons with mileage that was less then what the odometer reading so i thought that would need to be reset too (idiot)

After i reset a few of the icons i get this icon with no numbers..there did use to be numbers now just blanks.

Anyway each time i remove the key i get this symbol. I noticed there is an exclamation with 30 next to it. Is the car counting down?

This is what i see when i first insert the key.

Please help me cause the mrs thinks i f*cked up the car!! How do i remove the red symbol? ECU reset? Or does something need to be replaced?

Thanks to all who can contribute.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:25 AM

Ok i just took it for a drive and the red park brake light doesnt come off even if the hand brake is disengaged. What have i done??
Old 03-28-2013, 05:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 5
maybe bring it to a dealer? The fan with the radiator means need coolant. The hoist means bring it in for check up. The red brake light means something is wrong with the parking brake. The service light means bring it in for service.

I am not a DIY er though. The lights come on I drop it off.

Last edited by pony_trekker; 03-28-2013 at 05:24 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:22 AM
Driver

Mein Auto: Z4 Coupe, 118iSE
Doh Doh

Have a GOOD read of your Owners Manual and find out what you did, then read it again to find out how to reset your fiddle.
Moral; Don't be a wally.
Good luck.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:35 AM

Update: I inspected the rear pads and to my surprise they actually do need changing! Was the light coming on a coincidence?

kiwiz4: My car didnt come with a manual and if it did it would not explain any of reset procedures i performed as they are sub functions of the OBC. Im sure that IF you have read the manual yourself you would know this.

The solution to this would be to change the pads and wear sensor.
Old 03-31-2013, 01:39 PM
Driver

Mein Auto: Z4 Coupe, 118iSE
Red face

Haynes Service & repair Manual. BMW 1-Series. 2004 - 2011.
ISBN 978 1 84425 918 2
Manual # Haynes 4918.

No offence intended
Cheers.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 130i & E92 325i, E90 SOLD
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRjayr View Post
Hi everyone,
Tonight i thought id play around with my OBC on my 06 e87 118i and i think i f*cked up!

Ok so every time i start the car i get an orange service light coming on. So I reset the symbol with a fan to the right and what looks like a radiaotor in the middle. After i did the reset and that seemed to make it go away.

However i think i might of reset too many things. I noticed that there was a few icons with mileage that was less then what the odometer reading so i thought that would need to be reset too (idiot)

After i reset a few of the icons i get this icon with no numbers..there did use to be numbers now just blanks.

Anyway each time i remove the key i get this symbol. I noticed there is an exclamation with 30 next to it. Is the car counting down?

This is what i see when i first insert the key.

Please help me cause the mrs thinks i f*cked up the car!! How do i remove the red symbol? ECU reset? Or does something need to be replaced?

Thanks to all who can contribute.
1st pic : you need to check fornt brake pad.... new pads , 2 rotors and one sensor about $400-$500 job

2nd Pic : you car needs a service soon

3rd Pic : next service is in 13000km or Feb 2014 what ever comes first
06 130i - ROCK SOLID Performer
07 320i - SOLD
08 E92 325i - Blue SOLD
Bicycles: Giant TCR Advanced Zero SOLD, Argon 18 Krypton, Argon 18E114, Trek Madone COMING
BOUGHT : MY11.5 X1 Xdrive25i

New car... Estoril Blue Car

Last edited by SilverX3; 03-31-2013 at 02:23 PM.
Old 03-31-2013, 07:47 PM

Kiwiz4. None taken. Cheers for the manual product code.

Silverx3; Thankyou this is what i was waiting for. I thought the pictures represented front and rear pads as i toggled through them as you can see a distinction between the pictures, just needed some confirmation.