Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 03-30-2013, 07:20 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 89 E30 Cabrio
Radian we get that you love BMW. No one is saying BMW didn't do a good job, or that any of us can do better. The point to suspension running is to tailor the car to your driving style.

Saying stay OEM is like saying go buy a suit at Ross, the one size fits all method. But there is a reason the best suits are all tailored to fit.

I see all cars as just that an expensive unfinished suit that you should make adjustments to.

Remember BMW has to design the suspension to be as sporty as possible but not so on the edge that it kills the average Joe driving home or hurts your wallet on tire wear. The best I can say to you is try it out, you'll be surprized at what you can do and how much you can change your car from a good driving car to an extension of your body.. a car you setup is unlike anything you've ever driven. That feeling of being one with the machine makes you feel very confident, and makes you turn faster lap times.

You'll also start discovering your limits. When you take a corner at 60mph and the front scrubs speed you go tinker then take the same corner at 5mph higher and the car just sticks, not even a tire squeel, you now know the limit of the car has risen so you need to have the confidence to go. Even faster cause the car is capable of it

Last edited by 3star; 03-30-2013 at 07:24 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:29 AM
The Ornery Old Man

Mein Auto: GTI
These cars have ONLY a toe adjustment. Messing with it isn't going to gain you a darn thing contrary to the above. To adjust camber you need to install adjustable camber plates. Running a bunch of negative camber on the street is only going to serve to wear out tires. Caster would also require the ability to move the strut at the top. More caster = better straightline stability and stronger steering wheel centering.

I run my car stock for good reason. It is extremely well thought out and functions wonderfully. I run stock sized wheels and tires for the same reason, though I would like to grab a set of e38 16's to increase my tire choices.

I have modified and driven Porsches on the racetrack for years. The track is a COMPLETELY different place, requiring completely different settings. If you think track settings are going to help you on the street, you are fooling yourself. Precious little translates from track to street and vice versa. You SHOULD NOT be practicing oversteer and understeer on the street. Fact is, 99% of people are not qualified to make the reccomendations being made in this thread. Radian has it right, and has throughout the thread, be carefull when messing with success (the e34 chassis) you stand a better chance of taking it backwards in performance than forward.

My advice is to freshen up the stock suspension and avoid the listed suspension fashion statements. I would gladly entertain a race across the mtn roads here against someones "upgraded suspension" in my stock version. I bet you can't keep up In the end it is much more dependant on driver skill than the machine. If you want to enjoy driving your car more, attend school and LEARN TO DRIVE, because if all you did was take DE in HS and have been "learning" on your own since, you are missing a huge set of skills and your ride is an inconsequntial part of the fast driving equation.
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5
Old 03-30-2013, 10:37 AM

That's how a tire behaves in cornering notice the tire takes a second to react to the input from the steering knuckles and steering wheel. This effect increases with higher profile tires low profile and stiffer side walls reduce that.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: '91 535i 5-spd
If you want to discuss tires and how they relate to the E34, how about starting another thread?
Old 03-30-2013, 05:29 PM
Habitual User

Mein Auto: E39 540i, E39 M5, E34 535
Gentlemen,

I admit, I'm fascinated by the varying opinions, and information about different set up's, etc.

3star and Radian, I thank you for your input, as well as your passion.
It's what the 'fest is all about.
I have to admit, I feel that special tingle when Andy jumps in the fray as well….

Sled, thank you, as always.
I just heard if you rinse your fuel filter with OJ….oh h*ll, never mind!

I will consider all points, then move forward, updating as I go.
As the car just turned 150k, it's still a pup, and has many tires in its future.

Mahalo to all!
Tom
Old 04-01-2013, 08:13 AM
Habitual User

Radian,

You were spot on about the tires.
Upon closed examination of the sidewall, I read (with the help of a magnifying glass) the proper inflation to be 51 psi.
I thought that was the "seating" pressure, but no.

I had been running 35 in the back, and 32 in the front.
NOW, I run 45 in the back, and 40 in the front, and handles WAY better.
Still a bit soft, but I have to think about my spine, too.

Thanks again to all who contributed.
I will keep her stock, and rely on the wisdom of the BMW engineers on this one.

3star, don't get me wrong, your input was highly educational, and you have done your research, no doubt.
It's just that I am past the age of experimenting with my car.
If there was overwhelming support for the mods, I might have considered it.

Once Again, I have been skooled.

Mahalo!
Tom
Old 04-01-2013, 08:59 AM

No worries man just glad I could help. Handling is a very driver specific thing, for you all you needed was to change tire pressures for me I need a bit more work to get it where I want it.

We are all unique as are our driving preferences.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:18 AM
Habitual User

3star,

Sorry for the mis-understanding.

I am changing out the entire front end, hence, the original question.
Tire pressure was just a by-product of the discussion.

Thanks again.
I learned a HEAP!
Your knowledge is very much appreciated.

T