Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW 335i M Sport RWD
M Performance Power Kit?

I've just ordered a 2013 F30 335 RWD M Sport. I'm intrigued by the M Performance Power Kit option. I've done some research on the interwebs and looks like it's only just become available and the price is around $1,600 plus installation time? Is that correct?

So I definitely like the idea of BMW standing behind this in terms of warranty, which is why I'm considering it rather than a Dinan or similar.

My next question is: I know with Dinan, sometimes when BMW would issue updates to the ECU program, the updates would zap the Dinan mods and you'd have to go back to Dinan to re-apply. I would assume this doesn't happen with BMW-issued flashes, but does anyone have knowledge on this?

And finally, looks like it can be installed as a Port Installed Option or by the dealer. Any reason to go one way or the other? I'm buying my car outright, no leasing or financing, so rolling into a lease or loan isn't a factor.

Thanks.
Ads by Google
Old 03-23-2013, 07:39 AM

I take back the part about "it's only just become available". It doesn't seem to be available yet, and I don't think I want to be a guinea pig. Since it can be installed after sale, maybe the right approach is to monitor this forum for the early adopter reviews and decide.
Old 03-23-2013, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by HokieXDriver View Post
I've just ordered a 2013 F30 335 RWD M Sport. I'm intrigued by the M Performance Power Kit option. I've done some research on the interwebs and looks like it's only just become available and the price is around $1,600 plus installation time? Is that correct?

So I definitely like the idea of BMW standing behind this in terms of warranty, which is why I'm considering it rather than a Dinan or similar.

My next question is: I know with Dinan, sometimes when BMW would issue updates to the ECU program, the updates would zap the Dinan mods and you'd have to go back to Dinan to re-apply. I would assume this doesn't happen with BMW-issued flashes, but does anyone have knowledge on this?

And finally, looks like it can be installed as a Port Installed Option or by the dealer. Any reason to go one way or the other? I'm buying my car outright, no leasing or financing, so rolling into a lease or loan isn't a factor.

Thanks.
Strongly suggest that whatever you do, get it done at the port.

Why? The mechanics in the dealer don't bother reading instructions. They're like your Dad, who always "knew" how the puzzle went together without anyone telling him. The VPC guys must do it as if they were in the factory -- because they are an extension of the factory.

Want proof? Cars get dinged and damaged on the boat. The VPC fixes 'em up and you'll never see any overspray. How do I know? I dinged both of my ED 3 Series -- and both were fixed after arrival in the US. And both fixes were perfect -- absolutely perfect.

Would you be comfortable with a BMW dealer mechanic reprogramming your $55K car? Or would you prefer the manufacturer to do it? The last chance to get BMW's actual procedures and manufacturing techniques applied to your car is the VPC. After that, it's all downhill.
Redelivered: 2012-09-12
Old 03-23-2013, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
Why? The mechanics in the dealer don't bother reading instructions. They're like your Dad, who always "knew" how the puzzle went together without anyone telling him.
Amen to the part about the mechanics. My Dad, on the other hand, always read instructions and taught me to do the same. But yeah, I hear you, and that's kind of how I was thinking too. But the upgrade doesn't seem to be available anyway, so I may not have any choice.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:56 PM

Mein Auto: f30 335i
Quote:

Thanks.
Besides performance exhaust, what else does/will this include?
Old 03-23-2013, 01:12 PM

Supposedly an ECU flash to increase power and torque. Nobody really knows. It's listed on BMW's M Performance Parts spec sheet, but availability is "March 2013" and no prices given.
Old 03-23-2013, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: E70 & F04
Do it at the dealer. The vpc being an extension of the factory is kinda bs. For paint and dents yes, but this is just a software update. Plus you'll be able to feel the before after difference that way.
Old 03-23-2013, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 X5 Xdrive 3.5d
I hear a lot of praise for and confidence being shown in Port installs. My singular experience with a port installed option had problems. We had the M Performance Brakes port installed on our 335i M-Sport and picked our car up at the Performance Center on a Friday. We left the Performance Center after our day of fun and discovered an awful vibration at speed. We quickly returned to the Performance Center, hoping that a technician was still on site. Fortunately there was, because the brake install needed work. Once complete, the car drove home perfectly.

I am by no means trying to down play the ability of the Port to do a quality job, but they are human and can make mistakes. I do want to give the Performance Center kudos for how they took care of us. We could have had an extended, unplanned stay in Greenville if the timing hand't worked out.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335i M-Sport
Not sure why it would be $1600 unless they are adding hardware or more hp/tq than the present PPK for the N55 (E90 for me), which is around $800-ish. I had mine done at my local dealer and it was priced for about 1 hour of labor time...but you will probably get labor hours all over the map when calling. I would never have done on my car if it cost $1600 and would have gone a different route, probably Dinan. I also bought my vehicle.

Finally, updates are one area of concern for me, even with the BMW PPK installed by my local dealer...this is not my servicing dealer, however. When I took my car in for service last year (again, servicing dealer), they had no record of the PPK install, which was disconcerting. If they would have done a software update, I'm assuming they would have just wiped out my PPK, since it was not in the system. I do have the install paperwork from my local dealer and I know the software was installed (dyno afterwards), but I can't believe it's not in the dealership network system. I called the dealer that installed it and they acted like I was on another planet and gave me some BS about each dealer is independently owned, etc....but you have the receipt. I guess I'm pointing this out because if you get it done at the port, it may show up automatically at all dealers in the US as a port installed option, unlike mine.

Good luck either way and I would recommend the PPK as long as priced under $900. Above that and you're probably better off going with something else or doing a different mod...like dumping the run-flats.

2011 335i M-Sport, BMW Performance Powerkit Version 1, BMW Performance Exhaust, 35% F1 Pinnacle Tint
Old 04-01-2013, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
All the details on the kit have now been release -

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=685449

Tim
Old 04-01-2013, 05:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 335i
Get it port installed.
Have them match the pricing from Tischer.
You can get it for <$1k if you shop around...$1600 is MSRP.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk03 View Post
Not sure why it would be $1600 unless they are adding hardware or more hp/tq than the present PPK for the N55 (E90 for me), which is around $800-ish. I had mine done at my local dealer and it was priced for about 1 hour of labor time...but you will probably get labor hours all over the map when calling. I would never have done on my car if it cost $1600 and would have gone a different route, probably Dinan. I also bought my vehicle.

Finally, updates are one area of concern for me, even with the BMW PPK installed by my local dealer...this is not my servicing dealer, however. When I took my car in for service last year (again, servicing dealer), they had no record of the PPK install, which was disconcerting. If they would have done a software update, I'm assuming they would have just wiped out my PPK, since it was not in the system. I do have the install paperwork from my local dealer and I know the software was installed (dyno afterwards), but I can't believe it's not in the dealership network system. I called the dealer that installed it and they acted like I was on another planet and gave me some BS about each dealer is independently owned, etc....but you have the receipt. I guess I'm pointing this out because if you get it done at the port, it may show up automatically at all dealers in the US as a port installed option, unlike mine.

Good luck either way and I would recommend the PPK as long as priced under $900. Above that and you're probably better off going with something else or doing a different mod...like dumping the run-flats.
New PPK comes with engine plaques and stickers under the hood EVERYWHERE, and it should update with the new keys they have with the F30s...so you'll be fine.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nerd View Post
Besides performance exhaust, what else does/will this include?
No exhaust, just tune, intake, that's all...and stickers.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suneil View Post
Get it port installed.
Have them match the pricing from Tischer.
You can get it for <$1k if you shop around...$1600 is MSRP.
I'm actually within easy driving distance of Tischer. Do they honor their Internet prices (plus tax, of course) if I go there? Anyone know?
Old 04-01-2013, 06:55 PM
///M Sport

Mein Auto: 2013 328i EBII M Sport
Me wants mine!

2013 Estoril Blue 328i M Sport: Premium, Technology, & Lighting PKG, HK Audio, PDC >Backup Camera, Paddle Shifters, Heated Leather Sport Seats
Old 04-02-2013, 07:15 AM
#1 OEM BMW Parts Source

Send a message via AIM to Jason@Tischer
Mein Auto: 2002 Dinan 330ci
Quote:
I'm actually within easy driving distance of Tischer. Do they honor their Internet prices (plus tax, of course) if I go there? Anyone know?
Here's a link to our special on the F30 M Performance Power Kit. You can submit your order online and select 'Local Pick-up' at checkout on the site. We'll hold the order for you here until your installation appointment in the service department. Contact service to set up your appointment once the online order is complete and ready for pick-up.

Thanks!

Email getHelp@getBMWparts.com AIM: Jason at Tischer
Follow us on: FaceBook | Twitter | YouTube
Old 04-02-2013, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@Tischer View Post
Here's a link to our special on the F30 M Performance Power Kit. You can submit your order online and select 'Local Pick-up' at checkout on the site. We'll hold the order for you here until your installation appointment in the service department. Contact service to set up your appointment once the online order is complete and ready for pick-up.

Thanks!

Great, thanks for the response - appreciate it. I will set it up after I take delivery.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason@Tischer View Post

Thanks!

How long is the Internet special of $935 good for?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:26 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
My hypothetical F30 is getting expensive, since I need this kit, the M Performance exhaust, and of course a mechanical LSD ($2500).
Old 04-02-2013, 05:06 PM

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper
anybody (Tim?) know of any release for this for the 330d (European customer)...

Old 04-02-2013, 06:56 PM

Why is there a difference in torque between the AT (+32 lb-ft) and the MT (+17 lb-ft)?
Old 04-02-2013, 09:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i Msport sedan
Quote:
Why is there a difference in torque between the AT (+32 lb-ft) and the MT (+17 lb-ft)?
Perhaps to keep the torque below the mechanical limits? IIRC the AT has 50 lb ft to spare from the stock N55 output to its stated design limit. I haven't seen anywhere that discussed what the clutch was rated to withstand.

Best Regards,
Robert

2013 335i ///M Sport - Estoril Blue/Coral Red - Tech Package- Premium Package - HK Stereo - 6MT
Ordered 12/14/12 - Delivered March 5th 2013
BMWCCA # 471893
Old 04-03-2013, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonmayr View Post
Perhaps to keep the torque below the mechanical limits? IIRC the AT has 50 lb ft to spare from the stock N55 output to its stated design limit. I haven't seen anywhere that discussed what the clutch was rated to withstand.
Hmmm...I thought manuals could safely take MORE torque that AT's because the only stressed part on a manual is the clutch itself....which is a relatively cheap, easy fix when it goes. That's why I'm confused about the difference in torque between the two packages.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Hmmm...I thought manuals could safely take MORE torque that AT's
They're two different things, so I'm not sure how you would make a 1-1 comparison (edit: sounds snarky, sorry, not meant to be). But in general, no - manuals take less torque than automatics and DCTs. Automatics can "throw away" a lot of torque in the torque converter, losing it as friction in the fluid (that's why you can stop without putting the transmission into neutral - the converter is basically throwing away the entire torque output of the engine by just spinning the fluid).

DCTs use friction plates just like manuals, but the speed at which the computer can switch from one clutch to the other lessens the stress on the gearbox. That's why ultra-high performance cars with obscene amounts of HP/torque are not manuals anymore. See Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti, etc. Even the M5's engineers prefer the DCT, which is why the US is the only market that gets a manual (the US is a huge M market and BMW has to satisfy our demands whether they like it or not).

On the other hand, the Hennessey Venom GT uses a manual, so clearly there are specialized manuals that can take huge torque and hp.

Last edited by HokieXDriver; 04-03-2013 at 06:42 AM.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
Quote:
Hmmm...I thought manuals could safely take MORE torque that AT's because the only stressed part on a manual is the clutch itself....which is a relatively cheap, easy fix when it goes. That's why I'm confused about the difference in torque between the two packages.
This is crank torque right? Maybe at the wheels the auto and manual are the same?