Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 01-09-2013, 07:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 Dinan 550xi
Well the project is now complete... the car is back to working order with the latest software and having the DVD changer is kinda fun... in the sense that the kids are distracted in the back seat so I don't have to pull over as often on road trips to change the disc for them!

My advice for anyone considering the rear seat entertainment option - buy yourself a few ipads and some holders for them!

I still can't find the value in having the screens built in, but they were pretty useless to me without the dvd changer upfront for my passenger to change the disc for the younger kids (for older kids that can reach the floor of the car where the rear player is this is not an issue).

At least now with the changer I can make use of the screens! knowing what I know today - I would have NOT got the rear seat screens, and opted for a nice ipad mount that could be removed when not needed and saved some really serious money on this....

either way, there is enough left to buy some more Dinan Stuff!
Old 01-13-2013, 09:33 PM
FORCED AIR FTW

Mein Auto: 12 X5M, 04 E46 & 74 tii
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmguy View Post
Well the project is now complete... the car is back to working order with the latest software and having the DVD changer is kinda fun... in the sense that the kids are distracted in the back seat so I don't have to pull over as often on road trips to change the disc for them!

My advice for anyone considering the rear seat entertainment option - buy yourself a few ipads and some holders for them!

I still can't find the value in having the screens built in, but they were pretty useless to me without the dvd changer upfront for my passenger to change the disc for the younger kids (for older kids that can reach the floor of the car where the rear player is this is not an issue).

At least now with the changer I can make use of the screens! knowing what I know today - I would have NOT got the rear seat screens, and opted for a nice ipad mount that could be removed when not needed and saved some really serious money on this....

either way, there is enough left to buy some more Dinan Stuff!
Did you ever get the part number for the actual wiring harness? I have the changer that I purchased on eBay to install in my X5M. I have the bracket and the mounting hardware but no wiring.

Thank you
Old 01-13-2013, 09:50 PM

I'm it sure the exact part number for the cable itself... However here is the part numbers for the stuff that was ordered, there was however a video switcher that was needed in my car because of the setup... I don't have that part umber handy right now but here is the other 3 part numbers

51-16-9-177-572 bracket for DVD changer (I suspect each car would have a different one based on install location so double check your requirements) cdn list $81
65-12-9-272-349 DVD changer retro (I was told that this kit had the required cable) cdn list $1450
65-12-2-183-731 retrofit kit cdn list $93

I would check real oem see if thy have more details as to what's in these parts as a second source of confirmation for your need.

I update this post with the video switcher part number I needed to add for this to work in my car when I find that invoice

I should add that they assign some programming to to the car to enable the DVD changer... I don't know exactly what they did to enable it as they installed it for me, it was a little surprising that any programming needed to be done to enable it. I should have paid better attention it I thought I saw a DVD changer iconic the source selection that was greyed out before they added the changers....

Last edited by bmguy; 01-13-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:49 PM

Just an update to this (just when you thought I was done with this!)

I got around testing this feature back in the middle of march and was very horrified to learn that the system was ONLY playing movies from the 6 disc changer to the front navigation screen... not the rear seat entertainment like was expected...

so the car has been in the shop for a laundry list of updates, and corrections (sure love the money I'm saving between my 528 and 550 - its 11.1 l/100km vs 12.8 l/100 on the last 2 weeks of reporting per km so not much savings which is a total surprise! but thats a different topic).

Anyway, I guess BMW agreed that the system should play the movies in the rear, and they are building a custom cable for the car to redirect the video to the rear system also. Parts of course on back order at this point so when the other issues are resolved I get my car back until they have a chance to build this cable then to return and install it...

I have to say despite this being painful and stupid expensive, the dealer and BMW have both been very good so far to resolve this issue. I cant believe they have to, let alone will build the wire harness required to enable the feature.

Just to ensure this thread eventually get closed off with a success or failure, I will post the final outcome when its resolved - but I didn't want to leave this thread hanging as "functionally" in case someone was crazy enough to try to do this to later learn there was an issue..

fingers crossed - but this may in fact work by the time they are done... I have to admit not having cable all over the place and the factory look is very cool - I'm sure the second gut to do this will at least not have the challenges I had when they bit this bullet....
Old 04-02-2013, 01:19 PM
FORCED AIR FTW

I am finally getting the install kit (wiring, etc) coming from the UK for the 6 disk changer. I do not have the rearl entertainment system, so that is not a concern.

I will want "movie in motion" playback ince wired and coded

thank you for your updates
Old 04-02-2013, 01:32 PM
Dark Knight

Mein Auto: '13 BMW 535i M Sport
I always assumed the CD Player in the dash doubles as a DVD Player as well?

Ex M-B's: '11/'10/'06 E350's w/ AMG Sport Package, '02 S500 w/ Every Option.
Old 04-02-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330i ZHP View Post
I am finally getting the install kit (wiring, etc) coming from the UK for the 6 disk changer. I do not have the rearl entertainment system, so that is not a concern.

I will want "movie in motion" playback ince wired and coded

thank you for your updates
I can tell you that part works you can self code the "video in motion" as we call it - or buy the disc from "video in Motion" and you can play movies on the nav screen with the 6 disc DVD changer... I think your expectations are inline with what the system actually deliveries so you should not run into any problems....

p.s. it didn't look like a fun install the dash had to come apart to mount it and connect wire harness together.... I had my dealer do it, so I only saw it the one time when I needed to grab something from the car... they even had the rear seat out for my install, likely related to the rear seat entertainment you said you didn't have...

Last edited by bmguy; 04-03-2013 at 07:10 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-02-2013, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-A View Post
I always assumed the CD Player in the dash doubles as a DVD Player as well?
As stupid as this sounds, I never actually tried that.... it would laugh my ass off if it played DVD's in the rear as I didn't need the changer, just access to a second player that the kids could swap discs or my passenger could do while moving....

I will have to try that when the car comes back to me...

Last edited by bmguy; 04-02-2013 at 02:36 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:32 PM
FORCED AIR FTW

the single player does do dvd movie in motion - not sure if plays in rear
Old 04-02-2013, 07:16 PM
Brevity = soul of wit

Mein Auto: F10
Correct, when present (for instance in the M5 or M6), it is located in the glove compartment, center left and pulls down from the ceiling.