Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 04-01-2013, 10:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Question So what's the 411 on 20" rims for the GT and net on the 15K wear problem?

After Ductordoc, I might be the last person around to purchase a GT but in being a laggard, I was hoping to avoid the early adopter headaches. So before the millenials take over with tourings, I have my eye on an M-Sport and it's gorgeous 20" rims. But, I found this thread about 20"ers wearing out on the rear tires that horrifically, appears to not be resolved:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=20+inch+rims

So, rather than do the M-SPort for $3000 and another $1000 to get the 20"s, Can you just get the factory 18"s and upgrade them with something like these for $650 + tires?
http://www.carid.com/akuza-wheels/ax...d-9135547.html

Or is there an issue with speedometer, TPMS, Active steering or whatever so once 18, always 18 etc?
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2013, 12:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335is
Rim size doesn't effect TPMS/AS/Speedo. As long as the outer circumfrence stays the same you can upgrade to anything you want. Hence the bigger rims running lower profile tires. Personally I prefer the ride of a bit more rubber
ED 5/9/2008 335i Graphite Metallic
Old 04-01-2013, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i GT xDrive
The M-Sport 20" comes with the Pirellis, at least mine did, and if you read the thread you linked you'll see that the Pirellis don't have this issue. Plus most of the owners with issues were in the UK.

If you do get the 20" rims get the tire and rim insurance. I just got a nail in my front passenger tire and it was $600!

The 20" M-Sport rims look incredible by the way I highly recommend them and the Pirellis seem to do a good job of staying inflated.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
As long as you follow the standard tire sizes per wheel diameter, everything will be okay. As said, the big thing is to ensure the rolling diameter of the wheel assembly is the same (keeps the gearing, clearances, and speedometer/odometer happy)...this requires you to go to a lower profile tire as the wheel gets bigger in order to do that. Depending on where you live, the road conditions, and your driving style, bigger wheels may not be the greatest thing. Unless you have the dynamic suspension that can adjust, the thin air chamber of a 20" tire assembly doesn't give much. Personally, I can't see them when driving, and don't really care what others think. Many, not all, wheels are setup to allow the TPMS to fit. You want to make sure you get one that is machined inside around the stem hole that one will fit properly. Expect to pay about $60/tire for new sensors if you don't move the ones from your stock rims.

IOW, what you cannot do is retain the aspect ratio as you go with a larger wheel - that would make the whole assembly get larger in diameter.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 550i xDrive GT
Hey Ernest, my CA said that I could not get 18" with M-Sport so I went with 19 as it does seem they will have fewer issues than 20's.
I am hoever, in the mountains and roads are likely worse here than FL.
Old 04-01-2013, 02:32 PM

Thanks all. To clarify, I was only considering 18s without M-Sport and just upgrading rims and tires to 20s as per advice here. I just don't care for the 19" rims so it becomes a $4000 deal to get 20s from BMW albeit with all the other M-Sport stuff.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:59 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
Errnest, couldn't you do better price-wise at Tire Rack?
Old 04-02-2013, 04:50 AM

@fish23, I just did a random search to ballpark some rims. However, I am pursuaded by the posts here that OEM rims are the way to go.
Old 04-02-2013, 06:58 AM

Ernest, I only asked because last fall I was facing an OEM cost if $4500 (with taxes) for a winter tire package. I tried Tire Rack and found a n
OZ wheels and Michelin Alpin A2 Run-Flat tires with TPMS sensors, all installed and balancedwith taxes freight, duty etc for $2465 US which was effectively the same in Canadian funds as the dollars were at par back then.

I had my dealer install them at changeover time and they performed
most capably. Granted the rims listed at $300 eachand I was lucky to get them on clearance for $99 each. I spoke to my salesman and another one and both have recommended
Tire Rack to customers. I was very happy saving over $2000. I am not shilling for Tire Rack but suggesting that you may be able to save some money like I did. In the end it is your call of course. Good luck.

Last edited by Fish23; 04-02-2013 at 07:03 AM.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:02 AM

That's great to know. I'll take a look at that if I decide to go that route.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:00 AM

Ernest, my set had to come from South Bend IN, cross the border (with customs and brokerage handling) and be delivered to Ottawa (two hours west of Montreal by car). All of that was handled by Tire Rack.

I built the package for my GT online (you should only see wheels and tires (RFTs and non-RFTs) that will work for your GT) and from the time I pressed "Submit Order" until I came home to find the wheels piled neatly to the right of my garage door by UPS was 6days to the hour (and that included a weekend). I was most impressed with the entire purchase process and completely satisfied with the product.

I had Tire Rack recommended to me by a colleague whose husband had used them for seven wheelset purchases over a number of years. You may wish to build a package online just for compare and contrast purposes even if you don't buy from Tire Rack. You can also call in to speak to a sales person if you prefer.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
I got my winter tire/wheel set from Tirerack as well. I've bought probably 3-4 sets of tires from them over the years, and always had a good experience. If nothing else, you can see a bunch of different wheels that are known to fit with the TPMS sensors. I do not know what brand (could be OEM BMW sensors) that were on my set, but they synced up fine with the car. Depending on inventory and where you live, they have multiple warehouses, so shipping time is often short.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:50 AM

I configured a set at Tirerack. They had one set of 19". My problem is I don't need winter wheels so having two sets is a waste or something to try and sell. Pretty soon it's a pain in the neck.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:35 PM

I thought you were looking for non-winter tires and that Tire Rack could provide new wheels and tires in the size you wanted. Are you thinking of just paying a differential to the dealer for the larger tires and he would keep the stock tires to sell as a replacement set or as replacements for damaged tires that are under warranty?
Old 04-02-2013, 01:11 PM

Right. I need only one set of rims and tires. It never occurred to me that the dealer might buy the standard 18"s back from me. I suppose I can ask.
Old 04-02-2013, 02:11 PM

He should especially before you take delivery. When
my wife bought her 2010 335xi in Oct 2011, a set of BMW winter tires on rims
the previous owner (or leasee) had purchased were part
of the deal at 2/3 of the MSRP. We took them of course.

I often see new or used sets for sale at my dealer. It is not an extensive
selection but it should be possible for you to trade up. Go ahead and ask.
The worst they can say is no although upgrading to optional
tires should be a dealer-installed option.