Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 04-01-2013, 08:26 PM
notjustatob

Mein Auto: 2013 535i GT
Integral Active Steering coding

My custom built 535 GT is arriving this week....I'm very excited. After I test drove a hard to find F07 w IAS, i was hooked. Absolutely makes the car handle tighter and easier. A must have, IMO, so I ordered it of course.

But I stumbled on a European BMW site that said the IAS turns the back wheels in the opposite direction up to 60 kmh, and the same direction above 60 kmh. In the US, back wheels in opposite direction up to 30 mph, same direction over 55 mph. Can my new GT be coded to allow the "low" speed IAS effect to extend to 45 mph, so that it will the tight steering response on virtually all city turns?

Thanks all...
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2013, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 535GT
is there any thing confuse?this function is based on the road's condition,Used no different
Old 04-02-2013, 12:09 PM
notjustatob

thx. but not really...IAS has nothing to do w road conditions....it tightens steering at low speeds, eases steering at high speeds. back wheels turn either with or opposite front wheels to implement each effect, no matter the road condition.

Just want to know if car can be coded differently to allow slow speed effect to engage up to 45 mph, and not just up to 30 mph....
Old 04-02-2013, 12:13 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
At some point, the stability of the vehicle starts to come into play...my guess is that the utility of the transition point on how the steering reacts takes that into account, and it would not be a good idea to try to overcome that. That being said, there are huge numbers of things that can be changed in the computer operations...maybe a visit to the coding forum might elicit a more informed response. Keep in mind that forces increase at the square of the velocity, so bumping that transition point up by 50% increases the forces by 225% (1.5^2), which is a lot. You might end up hitting on the stability logic program's triggers, which would be very disconcerting...it's a balanced system, and arbitrary changes have the potential of doing bad things.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:49 AM
notjustatob

thx.....but curious as to why european models have rear wheels turn opposite up to 60 kmh and not at slower speed like U.S model's? Are the european cars built differently, or have their stability triggers altered?

i will check on the coding forums....thx much for your response.