Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 04-02-2013, 10:00 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 M3 coupe
2006 M3 sounds like a motorcycle at idle

Yes, I'm not kidding you, my M3 has started to sound like a motorcycle at idle. It's got that weird beat noise. The valve adjustment was done at 12K miles and the car now has 25K miles. It almost sounds like it's coming from the water pump. Any ideas?

Paul
Ads by Google
Old 04-02-2013, 05:29 PM

Mein Auto: 1997 M3 coupe
It sounds like the M3 in this video. The cam gear bolts are being checked to see if they're loose. Most likely, they are.

Old 04-03-2013, 05:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to shadowless
Mein Auto: '06 M3 coupe, '07 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by piancu View Post
Yes, I'm not kidding you, my M3 has started to sound like a motorcycle at idle. It's got that weird beat noise. The valve adjustment was done at 12K miles and the car now has 25K miles. It almost sounds like it's coming from the water pump. Any ideas?

Paul
Quote:
Originally Posted by piancu View Post
It sounds like the M3 in this video. The cam gear bolts are being checked to see if they're loose. Most likely, they are.
i would not drive the car.
if yours sounds like the one in the vid, it is most likely your cam bolts. unfortunately, to remove them and replace them with much stronger ones, one will need to remove the vanos.

mine sounded a lot less subtle than that.

did the sound come on slowly or all of a sudden (as best you recall)?

you can use a long screwdriver and listen to see if the source of the sound is anterior. if so, it is most likely your cam bolts.

my car had about 31-32k mi at the time. she is an 06. i had 1st valve adjustment done. my sound came on slowly and got a bit louder over time. this was at the time when the issue was not well known. it was caught by don @ mr. m car. he saved my motor. he had happen to read about it on the private bmw shop "forum" and picked up on it immediately.

water pump is unlikely but it is something to consider. if i had to bet on it, it is your camshafts. my exhaust side had gotten so loose that you could but a screwdriver under it and literally lift with minimal effort. one of my cam bolts was broken and backing its way out.

good luck!

'06 M3 with VF-Engineering stage 2 SC, LIGHTWERKZ TFX retrofit 4300k 55W, Kreis-sieg, 3.91 diff, BBS LMs wrapped in F1s, Alcon, and a few other goodies....
452whp/322.7wtq on mustang dyno using 93 oct
'07 X3 3.0si with tint on front side windows only