Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 03-28-2013, 01:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
How does the F07 access internet for Google search and maps?

I couldn't get a straight answer from the CA on my test drive. Does it use your cell phone's data connection or does it have it's own sim card?

Then there's this thing I found for 2011:
http://www.bimmerfile.com/2011/10/18...s-integration/
Ads by Google
Old 03-30-2013, 05:46 AM

Crickets!!!

I've plowed away at researching this and found a decent bit of confusion on the topic. I think this article clears it up well and has links to a couple BMW videos one of which is another topic that generates the same "What the *^***%^^& is it?": BMW Apps.

Here's the article on iDrive:
http://www.techradar.com/us/news/car...-guide-1085113

Here's a direct link to the BMW video on BMW Apps:

Here's a nice long demo of the 2013 iDrive Professional in a 5 series by a CA in California. The guy runs a website http://askabmwclientadvisor.com/.
Here's his 17 minute iDrive Professional demo video:
Old 03-30-2013, 08:02 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
Ernest, thanks for all those links, proving once again how useful the F07 forum is for us GT 'ers.

I wonder if the Navi Professional software will run with the processor in the older GTs and, if so, will BMW offer that as an after-market product.
Old 03-30-2013, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish23 View Post
Ernest, thanks for all those links, proving once again how useful the F07 forum is for us GT 'ers.

I wonder if the Navi Professional software will run with the processor in the older GTs and, if so, will BMW offer that as an after-market product.
In all my research, your question was inevitably asked and the answer is no. Like computers, the new system has hardware requirements in processing power and memory but most importantly in graphics rendering. There seems to be a lot of people for whom the infotainment and Navi is important and are going to Audi or waiting for BMW model years that get the iDrive Pro. The X3 is a case in point.

I realize I failed to mention that as to how the GT accesses the internet with only a satellite connection, the answer is that it does in fact have a built in 2G EDGE data connection and it uses the shark fin antenna to lower in cabin radiation levels. For the the gotta-have-the-latest crowd, that's pretty ancient connectivity. The Audi MMI has had 3G which is fast enough for Google Earth maps. They also build in a WiFi hotspot for the car occupants. LTE or 4G is the fastest and greatest. But I happen to have an iPhone on T-mobile and am used to 2G only data services. It's actually quite tolerable.

The WiFi hotspot device is actually a stop-gap (kudos to BMW) that has it's own LTE (I think) sim card and data plan that puts out a wifi. That connection *may* be accessible by the iDrive to grab stuff off the internet but I'm not sure.

I've seen articles about the MY 2014 GT getting a new internet connection. Not sure about the iTouch.

Last edited by ErnestHouse; 03-30-2013 at 05:46 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 535xi GT
Thanks for the very comprehensive response that did not surprise me (that is why I said 'if so', half expecting that answer). I won't have to ask my dealer now.

I find the current Nav system to be very good (plus I have a fairly good sense of direction - my wife often refers to me as a 'human compass' or 'map boy'). Still, being able to upgrade to latest version would have been nice but the inability to do so won't detract from me enjoying my GT.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550I GT
I have the iPhone 5 and when I plug it in with the cord to the usb port it can't connect. I can connect via bluetooth but I don't get all the features then.

Any suggestions?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:06 AM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2011 535i
Ernest big time thanks! Absolutely outstanding that you took time to lay the information out for those such as myself that do not do all the research necessary to disseminate properly all of the features of our GT's. You helped me to love my GT even more than I already do. I have a 2010 model and I sometimes feel like my GT's features are not current because of my ignorance of software updates or features such as coding. I continue to be gifted with more and more helpful knowledge because of our F07 forum. Best wishes to all. Again thank you sir.