Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 04-03-2013, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 325i
Factory Amp HELP AUDIO TROUBLE

Car:1995 BMW 325i Sedan

Basically I've been having trouble with this audio system after installing 2 12" Kennwood Subs.
The stock amplifier is just running my speakers inside the car not the subs.
I installed a separate Amp just for the subs and spliced in on the start up wire to get power to the new amp.

Everything was fine then one day my speakers quit working but my subs still work so I'm wondering whether the stock amp blew or the wires are bad and I'm not sure tried finding the same exact amp but had no luck considering its 18 years old. I called BMW and they want $600 for the new amp so that's not happening if anyone can point me the right direction even wiring all the speakers to my aftermarket headunit i heard was a good idea or if anyone can help me find that same stock amp or if there are converters to connect the wires to a newer amp thanks alot!
Old 04-04-2013, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: 1996 328is
So the turn-on wire that turned on the factory amp has been spliced to turn on both the factory AND aftermarket amp?

Problem: The aftermarket amp turns on, but the factory amp won't turn on.

First place I'd look at is the splice. Take the wire that turns on the aftermarket amp (since you KNOW that wire works) and connect it to the factory amp - does it turn the amp on (when the head unit is turned on)? If so, then it was a bad splice job. If it still doesn't work, then check all of the connections to the factory amp (power, ground, etc). If still nothing, and if the amp really is fried, the factory amp is crap vs a quality aftermarket one so its time to upgrade