Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 03-30-2013, 08:31 AM

Mein Auto: E36 & Z4
Ticking Noise - Proportional to acceleration pedal depression.

Afternoon All!

Firstly, its my first post, so hello its nice to be here, took some time considering which BMW Forum to join, hopefully I've made the correct choice

My E36 (1995) 318is has had a ticking noise for sometime now, however just haven't got round to having a look at it, or fixing it! I have another car so its not been a driving issue to get to the bottom of it, and the ticking noise also doesnt seem to effect performance;

The noise sounds like a bit of plastic has got stuck in your bike spokes... (when you were a kid...) the faster the wheel goes, the faster the click... or even like a leaf getting caught in a blower.

It does make the noise when idleing - although its frequency and volume is quite low
When the car is moving (no acceleration), you cant hear it much (there is a very slight ticking noise but not much in terms of volume)

When you depress the accelerator, the ticking increases significantly both in terms of frequency and noise, however if you take your foot of the pedal, the noise stops, (even if the engine is still at high revs.

It only makes this noise when the gear is engaged... so I thought I would jack the car up...
to replicate the noise whilst the wheels are in the air, to allow me to have a closer look at it while the engine is going, however there is no clicking noise when its jacked up... most bizarre... as if its only making the clicking noise when there is a rolling resistance (I dont know...)

...any ideas would be much appreciated, I purchased the car to learn how to "fix" things with a car, so kind of against taking it to a mechanic to fix...

I've heard things like "change your oil" "engine mounts" "cracks in manifolds" but these were all for "similarly described" noises, hopefully my description will help some boffin point out my flaw! any ideas are welcome...

Many thanks

Ads by Google
Old 03-30-2013, 09:48 AM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
Welcome! And thank you for posting a cleanly and clearly written inquiry!

I suppose we'll have to start troubleshooting this by asking some questions. Firstly, can you tell where the noise is coming from? Is it in the engine bay? And if so, is it coming from the front of the engine, or the top of the engine? Or elsewhere?

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback
Old 03-30-2013, 09:59 AM
The Canadian Prick.

Mein Auto: '96 328is Cosmos
From what you've said so far, it seems that the noise in proportionate to vehicle speed, but bot engine speed. I'd look to see first off I'd try walking along side/jogging along side the car to see if it is coming from a particular wheel and/or front or rear. Also see if there are any bits of the heat shield coming in contact with the drive shaft.

Welcome to the 'Fest, and post pics!

Ed.

HAS KEN HAD HIS MEDS YET?
Old 03-30-2013, 10:03 AM
Fireballs inc.

Send a message via AIM to Mr Gusta
Mein Auto: big turbo hellrot sedan
So if the car is stoped and in neutral and you rev the motor it doesn't make the noise?

Turbo lag is just a headstart because the chase is more exciting than the win - Abraham Lincoln
Old 03-30-2013, 10:35 AM

THanks for the responses guys,

answering your questions:

the noise is coming from the rear of the engine (within the engine bay) I've yet been unable to replicate the 'acceleration click' noise whilst the car is stationary (I get the slow click on idle when its stationary, and it sounds like its coming from the back end of the engine @ drivers side) I think that may be the same source as the other click...

jonesin, the noise isnt proportional to the vehicle speed, or revs... (well it is with revs, but I can be at high rev and not hear the noise) its only on acceleration that I hear the loud clicking.. for example:

I can be stationary - put my foot down, as the revs climb the clicking gets faster,
as soon as I remove my foot from the acceleration, there is no longer a clicking noise... (ie, enginer revs are still high, vehicle speed is (relatively) unchanged, its just the lack of acceleration. -- I must admit, the heat shield one is I did think about, I've had a look, perhaps something else I need to look at

MR Gusta, yea thats right, if im stationary and the car is in neutral and I hit the gas, there is no clicking, just the sweeeet sound of a BMW engine

I'm going to go out just now and record the noise, hopefully that will help!

Cheers for the responses guys!

Last edited by thesuperiorone; 03-30-2013 at 10:36 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:40 AM

Unfortunately the 'driving video' didnt pick up the sound of the clicking - which is annoying since thats the noise thats giving me the most annoyance (absolutely no performance issue, just a really annoying click)

I'll upload the 'stationary' clicking video to Youtube then post the link here...

Again thanks

Apologies about the dodgy video, I dont even know if you can hear the clicking noise....
If it helps, it helps... apologies about dodgy film editing, not something ive ever done before!

Last edited by thesuperiorone; 03-30-2013 at 12:21 PM. Reason: addition of YouTube link
Old 03-30-2013, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: 323i E36
I have a ticking noise, it was and still is the Mass air flow sensor. I applied this fix which made it quieter but its still there. Touch the sensor and you can feel the ticks. http://jackassofalltrades.com/ticker.html
Old 04-04-2013, 01:12 PM

Appreciate the responses guys, I'll be working on it again at the weekend! unfortunately busy at work so havent had a chance since I last posted, cheers for your hints and tips... I'll report back with my findings
Old 09-09-2013, 04:37 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E36 320i 1996
Hey guys, I found this thread through Google and I'm now new to this forum too!

@thesuperiorone, I have the exact same problem you describe. I have a 1996 320i with a M52B28 conversion with the standard 5 Speed Getrag gearbox, rather than the M3 gearbox (Yes, its not the best for high speed driving). Anyway, at idle; it barely makes a peep, if not at all. As soon as you take it up to any speed it makes a noticeable clicking noise, really only under acceleration. No matter how much or how little, it will make the noise. As I was reading your first description I previously used the same comparison with the cardboard/plastic in bicycle spokes. Thats exactly what its like. It sounds as if it coming from the very rear of the engine, maybe just under the center console. It makes no affect to power or handling. It is becoming more pronounced after only 2 days of driving. I also assumed the same thing with the drive shaft, maybe its touching something?

I jacked the rear of the car up and put it on stands. Took the wheels off and ran the car in gear and jumped underneath. It will not make the noise at all. As you say, its like it needs some kind of rolling resistance. I have run my hand over every moving part underneath. Not a thing is touching the drive shaft, nor is the drive shaft touching anything ( I thought maybe the flex disc was touching the bottom of the shifter due to worn gearbox mounts, but nothing!)

I put the wheels back on and got my brother to spin it by hand without the noise of the engine. It makes a very slight noise! It makes a faint clicking noise- actually inside the drive shaft. Like there is a loose weight or something. If I jerk the wheels back and forth vigorously, it makes it more pronounced, it seems strange and unlikely?. I checked the gearbox oil in case it was low. It is less than 2000kms old and the level is fine. The selector is fine and the ticking is almost too far forward to be the center shaft bearing. (I have a new one in-case).

Has ANYONE experienced this? What else could it be that I'm not thinking off. I completely rebuilt the M52 from top to bottom and have done everything on my car myself. This is the first time I am completely stumped. Next might be changing the drive-shaft not looking too forward to trying that!
Old 09-10-2013, 06:25 AM
BMW CCA Member

Mein Auto: 328i, M3, 325is M-Tech
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesuperiorone View Post
Unfortunately the 'driving video' didnt pick up the sound of the clicking - which is annoying since thats the noise thats giving me the most annoyance (absolutely no performance issue, just a really annoying click)

I'll upload the 'stationary' clicking video to Youtube then post the link here...

Again thanks

Apologies about the dodgy video, I dont even know if you can hear the clicking noise....
If it helps, it helps... apologies about dodgy film editing, not something ive ever done before!

That clicking sound in the video sounds like the lifters. Which is normal. You can go to a higher weight oil to get rid of that sound (which is what most people do).

But as far as the clicking sound during acceleration while driving on the road, when was the last time you checked your drive shafts? Does the frequency of the clicking increase as you go faster (as in proportionate to the speed)?

As far as the drive shaft is concerned, have you checked the bolts and lock nuts on the flex disk down there? Have you tried wiggling the driveshaft to see if there is any play?

Let's knock out the obvious things first.
Harry // 1995 Avus Blue M3 - 1994 Alpine Weiss 325is M-Tech (converted to a true M3 prototype) - 1998 Hellrot 328i // BMW CCA #453346 - North Capitol Chapter
My 325is M-Tech Restoration Thread
Old 09-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 M3
whats your oil level like? if your running low your lifter will tik and make all sorts of noise...
Old 09-12-2013, 09:59 PM
WYKDBMR

Mein Auto: BMW E39 6 Speed
Ticking can also be a snapped or loose spark plug. Just swapped all of mine yesterday since I had experienced this ticking before and as soon as I took out the second spark plug it was loose, as in the ceramic part was snapped from the metal hexagon part of the plug. The plug was still in tact and together but you could literally shake it in your hand and hear the clicking .
Old 09-12-2013, 10:36 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
^ Excellent suggestion! I'd forgotten about the loose plug syndrome.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 09-13-2013, 07:59 PM
WYKDBMR

Mein Auto: BMW E39 6 Speed
Yup also changed out a bad ignition coil that would make my bimmer bogg down and cry when I would accelerate lol. All happy now!
Old 09-15-2013, 12:33 AM

Mein Auto: BMW E36 320i 1996
Well! I figured it out. I know about the hydraulic lifters ticking and whatnot- but like I was saying, it wasn't the engine making the noise. I was something in the drivetrain. After a day's mission of taking off the exhaust, drive shaft and replacing the center bearing and getting it back on the road... the noise continued. Being fed up, I figured I'd remove the diff and take a look. Sure enough, it had a problem! Hope this helps someone else if they every have a similar problem. Refer to images! Lesson I learnt today: DONT use Royal Purple in your diff...

Last edited by Bentzen53; 09-15-2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 09-15-2013, 08:16 AM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Just how did you conclude that Royal Purple was the cause of that?

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?