Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-04-2013, 07:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2015 535xi 2013 X3 35i
All the newer BMW's auto headlights are design to have the headlights on when there is bright sunlight, the idea is that it is safer to have the headlights on when other drivers might experience solar glare. Leave it to BMW to over think everything.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0d M-Sport (2013)
Which is exactly how I persuaded my wife to keep the daylight lights on - my arguement - at least people will see you are there - can't argue with that.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
All the newer BMW's auto headlights are design to have the headlights on when there is bright sunlight, the idea is that it is safer to have the headlights on when other drivers might experience solar glare. Leave it to BMW to over think everything.
So they turn on when dark and when bright,... and turn off only when it is moderately light out? My MB C300 had auto lights that worked perfectly, but not like that. I leave my X3 lights on auto all the time and never noticed if they are on in bright sunlight. I'll have to pay attention.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noka View Post
So they turn on when dark and when bright,... and turn off only when it is moderately light out?
It drives me crazy too in my F10, I feel stupid driving around with the headlights on when its bright out.
Old 04-04-2013, 05:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Are you opposed to safety?

I drive my motorcycle with the high beams on during the day and normal lighting at night.

It's beyond me why many of the States I've visited don't require day time running lights. The lack of day time running lights is VERY obvious to us Canucks when we travelling south of the border.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
It drives me crazy too in my F10, I feel stupid driving around with the headlights on when its bright out.

Last edited by lbjgh; 04-04-2013 at 05:22 PM.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 X35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjgh View Post

I drive my motorcycle with the high beams on during the day and normal lighting at night.

It's beyond me why many of the States I've visited don't require day time running lights. The lack of day time running lights is VERY obvious to us Canucks when we travelling south of the border.
I thought that's the point of daytime running lights - to run during the day. That's different than headlights that turn on when its dark out. If BMW engineered the headlights to come too early and shut off too late, then maybe they should have taken it a step further and allowed you to turn off that feature through iDrive.

I think it's kind of silly to have headlights turn on in bright daylight - almost embarrassing. Talk about over engineering something. BMW should come up with a software patch. Just think about all the wasted energy going into powering the headlights that shouldn't be on in the first place.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:57 AM

Mein Auto: X3 3.0d M-Sport (2013)
On my X3 - you can turn off the daytime running lights - its an option in the idrive under menu>settings>Lights. However, your auto lights are (as everyone is aware) turned on/off by the light switch on the dash which obviously uses the sensor. My old 330d used to put side lights on when getting dark and then full lights on when it was dark. I haven't tested if the LED angels come on when it is getting dark but when you have the daytime running light option set to "off" - will do that this weekend unless someone else knows. If its only the side lights coming on when its sunny, then I am happy with that, but if its the full lights then that is different.
Old 04-05-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:

I am all for safety, thats why I have DRL on, but we are talking about headlights here, not DRL. In my opinion, the BMW DRL are bright enough that there is need for headlights to be on to over come solar glare.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
I don't understand the concern about the automatic headlights being on at (or around) dusk and dawn.

This really is a non-issue with the only impact being a safety benefit. I could understand if the auto headlights never turned off but does it really matter if the headlights stay on for an extra 10-15mins.

In my opinion it's great to be more visible.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:28 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
I don't understand the concern about the automatic headlights being on at (or around) dusk and dawn.

This really is a non-issue with the only impact being a safety benefit. I could understand if the auto headlights never turned off but does it really matter if the headlights stay on for an extra 10-15mins.

In my opinion it's great to be more visible.
They are not complaining that they are on just before dusk or dawn. The lights come on all different times...sometimes 12 noon, sometimes 2pm, 10 am, whenever they feel like it. I just keep mine off the auto setting and drive with the DRL (rings) on and switch over to headlights when needed.
Old 04-05-2013, 02:50 PM

That is correct, the auto headlights are design to come on when the sun is strong and the possibility of solar glare exist.