Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E39 M5 (1998-2003)

E39 M5 (1998-2003)

Old 04-02-2013, 01:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 e39 M5
CEL Multiple Misfires

I recently replaced the VANOS solenoid board. Got the car the running again and it drive s smoothly there was no hesitation. No weird knocking or tapping sounds. Then the car threw SES light this weekend. I was driving on the highway, nothing crazy, and noticed the SES come on. The car has a slight vibration that can only be felt at idle. The vibration was present prior to the car throwing vanos codes. When I scanned for the codes today it pointed to misfires. The vibration is not violent, and can only be felt when the car is still. The car drives smoothly, and feels fine despite the vibration at idle.

Here is the list of codes
// 1) 47 Knock sensor, Cyl #7-8
// 2) CD Misfire during warm-up, Cyl #1
// 3) CE Misfire during warm-up, Cyl #2
// 4) D1 Misfire during warm-up, Cyl #5
// 5) D2 Misfire during warm-up, Cyl #6
// 6) D3 Misfire during warm-up, Cyl #7
// 7) D5 Misfire during warm-up, multiple cylinders
// 8) B3 Catalyst system efficiency, Cyl #5-8
// 9) B2 Catalyst system efficiency, Cyl #1-4

I've been a little paranoid because my friend just had the timing chain come undone on her mini cooper due to a failed chain tensioner. I just replaced the chain tensioner on the beast not too long ago.
Any ideas on what can still be causing the misfires since the solenoid board was replaced? plugs were replaced about 20k miles ago. TPS? CPS?
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2013, 11:16 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
You posted this on m5board, right????

What are your fuel trims? I am thinking air leak intake/plenum... fuel filter condition? CPS would throw different codes.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 e39 M5
Yeah, I posted on the board originally. Didn't get any feedback. I'm thinking the codes were caused because the car's been running rich for some time. I haven't taken it to a tuner to see what the fuel trims are, but last time the car smogged (@87k), it barely passed and it was running on the rich side. I was suspecting CPS too, I don't think those have been replaced yet. Where would you suspect the air to be leaking from the plenum? between the cover and the bottom plate, or where the plenum attaches to the throttle bodies? I'm going to work on replacing the thermostat this weekend. The engine's been running cool at 78C (highway).
Old 04-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
By far you've got the best E39M5 diagnostic minds on the internet in your thread. Lets see what is added.

A