Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)

F07 Gran Turismo (2010 - Current)
The 5 Series Gran Turismo -- now available in the USA as a 535i, 550i and 550i xDrive model.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: BMW GT5
Exploding Sunroofs

Just googles Exploding sunroofs as that is what happen to me on Saturday. All very odd, brand new BMW 5 GT, less than 500 miles on the clock. Got onto the M25 Motorway and lound bang, front sunroof was no more.

Did not see any flying stones and it did seem that it had indeed exploded on its own. Two other people in the car as surprised as I was.

Lets see what the Garage say on Tuesday when I take it back, I am assume I will be paying unless of course there is a lot of similar instances that you guys have heard about.

Please let me know of any similar instances.

Thanks

Bluehelix
Ads by Google
Old 03-31-2013, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 325i
Hi & welcome. I just registered myself and since no one else says hello, I will. Good luck with your car.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:18 PM

Thanks for the message.

The lack of replies suggests it is NOT a common occurrence so I guess it must have been hit by something.

Bluehelix
Old 04-02-2013, 05:43 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: It has two dipsticks
Welcome, it helps if you post your question in the appropriate forum. I moved it over for you.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535ix-drive GT
Tempered glass is funny stuff...a little nick or chip or something too tight or twisted, and once it reaches a certain limit, it will shatter. It could have been an assembly error or something pinching in the track, or something that hit it...hard to tell, but may be, if you're lucky. Or, it could just have been defective. OUt of curiosity, what was the weather like at the time? Any possibily of something like hail? You never know, you might have been hit by a micrometeor! Happen to be going under an overpass at the time? Some teens think it's great fun to drop things on passing cars.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:39 AM

Expl;oding Sunroofs

Thanks for the reply.

The conditions were bright sun but cold, around zero. I do not think it was caused by any thing nature could be blamed for. We had gone under a couple of Motorway signs so absolutly possible something fell from one of those but none of the three people in the car noticed anything.

The car is now in the garage and I believe they have submitted the repair as a warranty claim, however I do not think it has been approved yet. We will wait and see but the fact they say they have tried to get it covered under warranty suggests they think it may be a fault.

Will keep you updated..
Old 04-03-2013, 04:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 535i GT M Sport
Did it shatter and skatter onto the road or did it come off lock stock and barrel cleanly?
Old 04-03-2013, 04:13 AM

shattered and ended up in lots of tiny pieces, some inside and some outside
Old 04-03-2013, 08:05 AM
Rogue2258

Mein Auto: 2010 550i GT, 2011 535i
I know that the BMW service departments are fairly unapologetic ie my personnel experience with "carbon build up", but I would be a bit more positive about your warranty claim being approved. There is not much you could do to prevent that event. Also a new GT with 500 miles on it is still in it's break in period. Your's quite literally is in it's breaking period. I am sure they will take care of you, but please keep us posted so that we may rattle the boards for you to get BMW on the right track if they fail to take care of you properly. The GT is amazing for the right driver and family. Best of luck.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550I GT
My guess is that they will make it a warranty repair. To little miles on the car.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:29 PM

exploding sunroofs

Just to let you all know that the sunroof has been replaced under warranty.

Good Old BMW never had any doubts !!!!!!!

Thanks to those of you that responded.