Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by alextj View Post
tornado? I heard something about this ! but does it really work bmw330pp ?
It improves power and mileage by ten butterfly farts worth....no more, no less. Guaranteed....

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 04-06-2013, 09:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 330Ci 5M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by av98 View Post
If maintenance is up to date drive slower . 10mph slower saves a ton but takes the fun out of driving.
that speed is good for increasing the other mpg (minutes/gallon), but very awful for the normal mpg we are talking about
Old 04-09-2013, 10:24 PM
bmw330pp

Mein Auto: 04 330Ci ZHP, 06 CBR600RR
Quote:
tornado? I heard something about this ! but does it really work bmw330pp ?
As far as mileage is concerned, yes it does work. As far as power, I actually think it lowers it by restricting some airflow.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:22 PM

Mein Auto: BMW e46 1,9l M43
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw330pp View Post
As far as mileage is concerned, yes it does work. As far as power, I actually think it lowers it by restricting some airflow.
I think it can't be that way. Restricting airflow can't lead to better economy.
Better flow = better power = better economy.

Ofcourse it depends on your right foot if you decide to use best power or best economy. Can't use both at the same time, but better efficiency can improve both.

Anyway driver is what makes most difference.

(Ofcourse you didn't buy BMW just for driving like old lady, but we already know it's not easy or cheap to actually improve the car. )

Last edited by lgr122; 04-10-2013 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:38 AM
The UltimatE46 Enthusiast

Mein Auto: 2005 330Ci ZHP
Lose weight.
Get that spare tire out of the trunk.
Old 04-10-2013, 09:37 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Absolute nonsense....

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 04-10-2013, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: 03 BMW 330ci
I get 22.9 on mixed driving. Mostly highway but a lot of traffic too, so that's not too bad. On a traffic free road trip I got ~ 28mpg even though I was driving... let's say I wasn't driving with the most economical speed.

Here is what I say:
1. Change spark plugs, air filter (new air filter adds about 0.5mpg)
2. Make sure your tire pressure is not low.
3. Lighten up the car as much as you can
4. Driving style - try to drive smoothly, keep your distance from other cars and remember, every time you press the brake you are wasting gas. I can now drive with barely ever having to press the brake.
5. Be aware of the terrain - if you are going down hill and then uphill, pick up some speed going down and use the inertia to help you go up the next hill, not the engine.
6. Combine trips - try to optimize your travel so you don't have to drive back and forth multiple times.
7. Help combat global warming. Work from home or car pool if you can.
Old 04-11-2013, 05:16 AM
Cogito Ergo Zoom

Mein Auto: 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by e46_platform View Post
that speed is good for increasing the other mpg (minutes/gallon), but very awful for the normal mpg we are talking about
Can you please expand on this? I've always believed, and measured, that I get better mileage between 75 and 80 mph than I do at 65. The car seems to work less and stays "on top of the gear" better as I roll over hills. Higher speeds allow me to feather the throttle more to which I believe helps mileage. I only use cruise control when my leg gets tired on a long drive. I tried to say this once before though and was roundly criticized.

But I'm sure I'm right. I believe the M54 325 motor is more efficient at higher rpm's.

Flame suit on...

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=...?id=1338939628
"I May Be Going To Hell In A Bucket But At Least I'm Enjoying The Ride"
Old 04-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan2263 View Post
Can you please expand on this? I've always believed, and measured, that I get better mileage between 75 and 80 mph than I do at 65. The car seems to work less and stays "on top of the gear" better as I roll over hills. Higher speeds allow me to feather the throttle more to which I believe helps mileage. I only use cruise control when my leg gets tired on a long drive. I tried to say this once before though and was roundly criticized.

But I'm sure I'm right. I believe the M54 325 motor is more efficient at higher rpm's.

Flame suit on...
You are absolutely correct in your assumption....most seem to forget that these are HEMI engines, and as such, enjoy a very high level of volumetric efficiency, especially once the RPMs get up there a bit. They *do not* respond well to "lugging"....there`s a sweet spot at around 3000 to 3500 where the engine is just about at ideal cruising speed.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:55 AM

Works somewhat like that for my engine also. Between 2500 and 3000rpm is best for normal cruising, under 2000rpm is just waste of fuel without getting anything back.
Old 04-12-2013, 07:37 AM

Mein Auto: 06 Quartz Blue 325Ci
Quote:
Hi I hope you can help me as always , my MPG its 21.9 all the time can you give some advises how to improve this MPG , 2001 325i and icredible 192.000 but runs good ... its old I know its my first BMW and I love it
All things considered, if your maintenance is up to date and everything is working properly, your driving style will determine your MPG. I currently average 30 mpg with 70/30 mix of freeway/stop-n-go driving. I don't drive like a Grandma and I use cruise when I can. I always calculate using miles driven / gallons to fill the tank. I believe it's easier to achieve better mpg with a manual vs auto.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:

Flame suit on...
what i was saying is that... if you go very slow, it's good for mpg (minutes per gallon), which means it takes more time to burn the same amount of fuel, but awful for mpg (miles per gallon), as you could have only covered much less mileage in the same amount of time.

this is pretty much inline with your point.

e.g.

say you drive at 30 mph. after an hour you've covered 30 miles. and your real mpg at that speed is probably 25 mpg. so you've used 30/25 = 5/6 = 1.2 gallon
so that's 1.2 gallon in 60 minutes = 50 minutes per gallon

but if you drive at 70 mph. after an hour you've covered 70 miles. and your real mpg at that speed is about 33 mpg. so you've used 70/33 = 2.12 gallon
so that's 2.12 gallon in 60 minutes = 28.3 minutes per gallon

in this example, if you go slow, you gain 77% on mpg (minutes per gallon), but lose 17% on mpg (miles per gallon)

Last edited by e46_platform; 04-18-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
You are absolutely correct in your assumption....most seem to forget that these are HEMI engines, and as such, enjoy a very high level of volumetric efficiency, especially once the RPMs get up there a bit. They *do not* respond well to "lugging"....there`s a sweet spot at around 3000 to 3500 where the engine is just about at ideal cruising speed.
that's great info!

my highway cruising rpm is usually right at 3000 (i prefer higher, but i want to avoid tickets )
i typically shift at somewhere between 4k and 5k, unless engine is cold, in which case i shift at just below 3k
Old 04-18-2013, 10:43 PM

Quote:

Flame suit on...
Quote:
what i was saying is that... if you go very slow, it's good for mpg (minutes per gallon), which means it takes more time to burn the same amount of fuel, but awful for mpg (miles per gallon), as you could have only covered much less mileage in the same amount of time.

this is pretty much inline with your point.

e.g.

say you drive at 30 mph. after an hour you've covered 30 miles. and your real mpg at that speed is probably 25 mpg. so you've used 30/25 = 5/6 = 1.2 gallon
so that's 1.2 gallon in 60 minutes = 50 minutes per gallon

but if you drive at 70 mph. after an hour you've covered 70 miles. and your real mpg at that speed is about 33 mpg. so you've used 70/33 = 2.12 gallon
so that's 2.12 gallon in 60 minutes = 28.3 minutes per gallon

in this example, if you go slow, you gain 77% on mpg (minutes per gallon), but lose 17% on mpg (miles per gallon)
On one hand, I see and agree with your point. On the other, I say "What Is the point of that?" I mean (with all due respect) who cares how many minutes per gallon you use. The only calculation that matters is Miles Per Gallon. And yes at freeway speeds, BMW engines are very efficient. But you're not going to start your car in the morning and instantly go 85mph. Your driving style is what matters throughout your driving environment. I'm averaging 30 mpg on each tank-full of gas which I think is fantastic. I track my mpg religiously on both my vehicles (other is a Civic Hybrid). The reason I do so primarily is to track vehicle performance. All things considered, if my mpg start going down, I'll know something is wrong. I also note if it was really hot (AC) or really cold, both which can affect mpg. Secondly, I need a little OCD action once in a while...
Old 04-18-2013, 11:05 PM

Some economy driving instructors might say it's always good to use as low rpm as possible, but it doesn't work on these engines.
With these should stay on that best efficiency zone, too low rpm is bad just the same way like too high.
Most efficient speed then depends on gear ratios.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgr122 View Post
Some economy driving instructors might say it's always good to use as low rpm as possible, but it doesn't work on these engines.
With these should stay on that best efficiency zone, too low rpm is bad just the same way like too high.
Most efficient speed then depends on gear ratios.
Good point! Again, it all has to with driving style. In city driving, I'm usually in 4th gear by 20mph and 5th gear by 40mph. When accelerating onto the freeway, I may use 3rd gear to get up to and past 40mph and bypass 4th gear. I also keep an eye on my MPG meter. If it goes below 30mpg while cruising in the city, I'll find a lower more appropriate gear so as not to lug the engine and use more efficient higher rpms.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HacksawMark View Post
On one hand, I see and agree with your point. On the other, I say "What Is the point of that?" I mean (with all due respect) who cares how many minutes per gallon you use. The only calculation that matters is Miles Per Gallon. And yes at freeway speeds, BMW engines are very efficient. But you're not going to start your car in the morning and instantly go 85mph. Your driving style is what matters throughout your driving environment. I'm averaging 30 mpg on each tank-full of gas which I think is fantastic. I track my mpg religiously on both my vehicles (other is a Civic Hybrid). The reason I do so primarily is to track vehicle performance. All things considered, if my mpg start going down, I'll know something is wrong. I also note if it was really hot (AC) or really cold, both which can affect mpg. Secondly, I need a little OCD action once in a while...
all that "minutes per gallon" thing started by a simple joke in post #27 of this thread
jonathan was confused by the joke, so i just drew it out probably with too much details
it's not meaningful in any measure

Last edited by e46_platform; 04-18-2013 at 11:36 PM.
Old 04-18-2013, 11:40 PM

Quote:
all that "minutes per gallon" thing started by a simple joke in post #27 of this thread
jonathan was confused by the joke, so i just drew it out probably with too much details
it's not meaningful in any measure
My bad.....never mind.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:39 AM
bmw330pp

Mein Auto: 04 330Ci ZHP, 06 CBR600RR
Quote:
Absolute nonsense....
What is absolute nonsense?
Old 04-19-2013, 10:58 AM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
What is absolute nonsense?
You started it, so YOU figure it out....

Old 04-19-2013, 05:31 PM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
Quote:
I disagree. Its really easy to test. Find a flat piece of road, and cruise down it in 6th gear at 2000~2500 rpms. Set the cruise, reset the mpg counter, and drive a set distance. Go back to the start, and repeat at the same speed, but this time in 5th gear. You'll find a 1~2 mpg difference in favor the lower rpm/higher gear. I've done this many times.

Also, driving slower gets better mileage. The engine make produce power more efficiently at a higher rpm, but that only matters if the car needs the power and is at WOT.. At moderate throttle settings, things like internal friction matter come into play. Also, fuel usage goes up with the square of speed (horsepower required goes up with cube of speed, but going faster means you spend less time per distance). Anyone that says their car gets better mileage at very high speeds either has something wrong with their car, or is lying to themselves. Last trip home, I measured mileage in 10 mile chunks. I don't remember the exact numbers, but 75mph was around 29mpg, 70mph was around 30, 65mph was around 33mpg, and 55mpg was 38mpg.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 04-19-2013, 06:00 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post

, and 55mpg was 38mpg.Of course, I was drafting that 18-wheeler for the last 20 miles or so....
FIFY

Old 04-19-2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
I disagree. Its really easy to test. Find a flat piece of road, and cruise down it in 6th gear at 2000~2500 rpms. Set the cruise, reset the mpg counter, and drive a set distance. Go back to the start, and repeat at the same speed, but this time in 5th gear. You'll find a 1~2 mpg difference in favor the lower rpm/higher gear. I've done this many times.

Also, driving slower gets better mileage. The engine make produce power more efficiently at a higher rpm, but that only matters if the car needs the power and is at WOT.. At moderate throttle settings, things like internal friction matter come into play. Also, fuel usage goes up with the square of speed (horsepower required goes up with cube of speed, but going faster means you spend less time per distance). Anyone that says their car gets better mileage at very high speeds either has something wrong with their car, or is lying to themselves. Last trip home, I measured mileage in 10 mile chunks. I don't remember the exact numbers, but 75mph was around 29mpg, 70mph was around 30, 65mph was around 33mpg, and 55mpg was 38mpg.
A better and more valid way would be (for those of you who track their cars), use the same track on the same day, using the method described above. I know, I know, folks who track their cars don't a give a flying rats-a$$ about MPG. Just a thought.
Old 04-19-2013, 08:54 PM
Keeping it surreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HacksawMark View Post
A better and more valid way would be (for those of you who track their cars), use the same track on the same day, using the method described above. I know, I know, folks who track their cars don't a give a flying rats-a$$ about MPG. Just a thought.
On the track, if you average more than 6 mpg, you`re considered a pu$$y....

Old 04-19-2013, 09:10 PM

Quote:
On the track, if you average more than 6 mpg, you`re considered a pu$$y....
Probably why you don't see any flying rats a$$es at he track....