Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 08-08-2010, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 525i, 2001 330CI
P0102

I posted earlier today, but was a reply to a thread, so here is a new thread on this.
My 01 E-46 with new head gasket runs great, but turned on the MIL (service engine soon light) and has code P0102, Low voltage at Mass or volume Air flow sensor. I checked all the hose clamps they are tight. I put my hand over the air intake at idle and killed the engine and there was a strong vacuum on my hand for over a minute afterwards so I am sure there is no air leaks. I gently blew off the hot-wire in the MAS, but it already looked clean. This car has a Dinan air cleaner system in it. I don't think it was ever serviced as it was filthy and the paper filter is down in front of the front fender liner, so hard to get to. I cleaned the filter a few weeks ago, but did not re-oil it. Also, I noticed that I put the MAS on up side down previously, (wire connector on the bottom) the air flow was the right way, but since these use hot-wire anemometry to read air flow I thought MAYBE orientation was critical. I have re-mounted it properly, and I am about to oil the filter. One other thing, at about 1500 RPM under load I can hear a whistle, but I am not sure if it is just air coming around the partially open throttle valve or not. And if it IS leaking how can it hold a vacuum when I choke it by hand?

Any insights from the group would be welcome, orientation, oil on the air element? The E46 Fanatics site has a few postings about Aftermarket filters causing this, but I think this was an OEM modification as the studs where the original air box mounts don't even have the paint worn off of them.

The car runs great, but I need it to pass emissions which it won't do with the MIL light on!

Scott
Ads by Google
Old 08-08-2010, 04:54 PM
ROLL TIDE!

Mein Auto: 2004 ZHP Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottshaw View Post
I posted earlier today, but was a reply to a thread, so here is a new thread on this.
My 01 E-46 with new head gasket runs great, but turned on the MIL (service engine soon light) and has code P0102, Low voltage at Mass or volume Air flow sensor. I checked all the hose clamps they are tight. I put my hand over the air intake at idle and killed the engine and there was a strong vacuum on my hand for over a minute afterwards so I am sure there is no air leaks. I gently blew off the hot-wire in the MAS, but it already looked clean. This car has a Dinan air cleaner system in it. I don't think it was ever serviced as it was filthy and the paper filter is down in front of the front fender liner, so hard to get to. I cleaned the filter a few weeks ago, but did not re-oil it. Also, I noticed that I put the MAS on up side down previously, (wire connector on the bottom) the air flow was the right way, but since these use hot-wire anemometry to read air flow I thought MAYBE orientation was critical. I have re-mounted it properly, and I am about to oil the filter. One other thing, at about 1500 RPM under load I can hear a whistle, but I am not sure if it is just air coming around the partially open throttle valve or not. And if it IS leaking how can it hold a vacuum when I choke it by hand?

Any insights from the group would be welcome, orientation, oil on the air element? The E46 Fanatics site has a few postings about Aftermarket filters causing this, but I think this was an OEM modification as the studs where the original air box mounts don't even have the paint worn off of them.

The car runs great, but I need it to pass emissions which it won't do with the MIL light on!

Scott
The whistle is a classic sign of an aftermarket CAI. Dinan or not, it is just gonna do that, tradeoff I guess for the great sound at WOT. The MAF could be dead for a number of reasons, age, dirt, or just whatever.

Check out my YouTube Channel for DIY's and other fun stuff HERE
Check out my BMWBLOG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
now, go burn your Man Card, and buy yourself a Camry....
Old 08-09-2010, 09:12 AM

Thanks smolck! Good to know that the Dinan sounds that way, I figured it must as I certainly could not find any leaks. My son goes to Bama by the way! Roll Tide!

Do you know if there is a spec for the resistance of the two hot wire elements? I have the Bently manual for this car but it does not say anything. I cleared the codes last night and it again lit the MIL this morning. The snap-shot of the even in the OBD-2 reader said that the RPM was at 1200 so it triggered it right at start up. I am surprised that the car performs well if the MAS is really bad, I drove it two weeks ago about 150 miles and it had really good performance and good fuel consumption, but I guess the O2 sensors really regulate steady state cruising more. I am a small engine fuel systems engineer, so i don't work with EFI systems but I have a pretty good handle on how they work. I also have worked with hot wire anemometers before so I know the concepts of how that MAS works. I am scared to just replace it as I have seen so many posts about it not changing anything, I would like to run some more diagnositcs before I jsut swap parts.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:25 PM

It WAS the MAS, I replaced it with an identical Siemens part for half the price of the BMW. Check engine light went off, I passed emissions the next day.
Old 04-05-2013, 10:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 bmw 325i
p0451

i got code p0451 how can i fix
Old 04-06-2013, 11:05 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis0001 View Post
i got code p0451 how can i fix
Start a new thread so people can find it. You will also get maximum responses this way.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:57 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 318ci e46
I've got this problem with p0102
But my car seems to be overheating at first, changed the thermostat and bled the coolant, was ok for 2 days and then cut out when driving, connected my obd scanner an it was 111degrees
When it's cooled down, I keep losing power and jerking n stalling , it's doing my head in ATM, need desperate help
Water pump is working and have no major signs of head gasket either