Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-04-2013, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Dealer wanted to charge me $1200 for this fix

CYL head cover leaking oil reseal 6.50 oil filter housing leaking oil re vibrol oil leaks.

What it this.
Advertisement
Old 04-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
What in the sweet mother of good is that...is that English? Is that what it said on the receipt?
Old 04-04-2013, 11:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiHoTTo115 View Post
What in the sweet mother of good is that...is that English? Is that what it said on the receipt?
Yea. I think they purposely made it ambiguous so that you would go back to the dealership.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:06 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
IF they made it plane english then you would take it to your indy.
You have the right to call them and ask them to explain it. If you don't understand why would you pay

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Random Helpbot

Mein Auto: 2011 E93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracer028 View Post
CYL head cover leaking oil reseal 6.50 oil filter housing leaking oil re vibrol oil leaks
I'll guess... Cylinder head cover and oil filter gaskets leaking, requiring replacement and oil change with 6.5 liters of oil.

If so, I can't see how that would be a $1,200 job.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verts4Ever View Post
I'll guess... Cylinder head cover and oil filter gaskets leaking, requiring replacement and oil change with 6.5 liters of oil.

Let's see, $50 for parts, $500 for having to write up that receipt, $200 for having to waste the ink to print it, remaining $450 to actually change it.

Reasonable.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:25 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Translation is not included. $725.95 to translate

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Chicks dig Wagons!

Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
Translation is not included. $725.95 to translate
Unless you purchase the optional translation insurance when you first take delivery on your car.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Valve cover gasket + Oil filter housing gasket+ 6.5L of oil. $1,200 sounds about right for an N52 at the dealer.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:49 PM
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK

Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Look for a DIY, there is probably less then $100 in parts involved.

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport MPPK/MPE
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Old 04-04-2013, 02:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verts4Ever View Post
Doing the job. $100
Knowing how to do the job. $1100

Frederic

Powered by corn.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Better with Butter

Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
Seriously? For a valve cover gasket?!? What, does one have to disassemble the upper half of the engine bay to get to it or something?

Call it....$900 in labor. At the dealership I go to (Habberstad) I think the going rate is $125/hr. Thus....7 hours of labor.

Old 04-04-2013, 06:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Write "F U" on the quote, return it and look up your nearest Indy.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
Seriously? For a valve cover gasket?!? What, does one have to disassemble the upper half of the engine bay to get to it or something?

Call it....$900 in labor. At the dealership I go to (Habberstad) I think the going rate is $125/hr. Thus....7 hours of labor.
Dealers like to quote prices using the "flat rate" which is a reference tool which supposedly details how long each repair should take. In actuality, any technician/mechanic worth a darn can do the repair in about 1/3 the time. So what happens is that the dealer invoices about 20 hours for each tech, each day. Yup, he bills out $2500 a day for each tech, and that's before he marks up the parts you're buying from him too.

Not bad for the dealer. Often raw deal for the consumer.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
IF they made it plane english then you would take it to your indy.

Furb! You da geeter wit da heater? Zaz South Street speak....
Old 04-05-2013, 05:53 AM
IntarWeb Stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsome View Post
Dealers like to quote prices using the "flat rate" which is a reference tool which supposedly details how long each repair should take. In actuality, any technician/mechanic worth a darn can do the repair in about 1/3 the time. So what happens is that the dealer invoices about 20 hours for each tech, each day. Yup, he bills out $2500 a day for each tech, and that's before he marks up the parts you're buying from him too.

Not bad for the dealer. Often raw deal for the consumer.
I know the manuals you are referring to, and I don't disagree with your time assessment, just the thought (that i read into) that pricing should be lower.

There are manuals out there, for pretty much every car, that states what is the typical labor hours to do a specific job. Better mechanics will take less time, worse mechanics will take more time. Now how fair would it be:
1) New mechanic scenario -> Book value is 2 hours for a job, but a new mechanic, who has to take longer will be working for 3 hours. Should you pay the penalty so the new guy can learn? No, you would be annoyed and demand the expert mechanic
2) Expert mechanic scenario -> Book value is 2 hours for a job, but the expert mechanic can do it in half the time. Should the expert mechanic only make half as much money because he is better at his job? Should he make less then the new mechanic? No - that is ridiculous.

We could argue all day if the book values are correct (or not), but it is a standard way to price item. Now if it's an outrageous amount (and it may be) then obviously move along. I doubt their hours are incorrect, but their hourly rate is probably much higher then indy shop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Furb! You da geeter wit da heater? Zaz South Street speak....
Don't hate, regulate

Because I can.
-
Quote:
I agree with furby
Quote:
Quote:
Old 04-05-2013, 06:21 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
CYL head cover leaking oil reseal 6.50 oil filter housing leaking oil re vibrol oil leaks.

What it this.
You live very close to EMW. Just take it there and see what John says.
Old 04-05-2013, 04:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528
Quote:
I know the manuals you are referring to, and I don't disagree with your time assessment, just the thought (that i read into) that pricing should be lower.

There are manuals out there, for pretty much every car, that states what is the typical labor hours to do a specific job. Better mechanics will take less time, worse mechanics will take more time. Now how fair would it be:
1) New mechanic scenario -> Book value is 2 hours for a job, but a new mechanic, who has to take longer will be working for 3 hours. Should you pay the penalty so the new guy can learn? No, you would be annoyed and demand the expert mechanic
2) Expert mechanic scenario -> Book value is 2 hours for a job, but the expert mechanic can do it in half the time. Should the expert mechanic only make half as much money because he is better at his job? Should he make less then the new mechanic? No - that is ridiculous.

We could argue all day if the book values are correct (or not), but it is a standard way to price item. Now if it's an outrageous amount (and it may be) then obviously move along. I doubt their hours are incorrect, but their hourly rate is probably much higher then indy shop.

I agree. That why we can always negotiate anything at dealerships (including service costs). Ask and you should receive at least 10%. 20% or 30% if you are good or have a good case.
Old 04-05-2013, 06:37 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:

Very good points. However, having taken some auto mechanic classes years ago, I can tell you that the time allotment for most repairs is very, very generous. Maybe it has changed since then and time allotments have become become more realistic. Though I'd be mildly surprised if this were true.

Also, in your expert mechanic scenario -- the expert would still be rewarded for his quick work because (1) he will be installing many more (highly marked up) parts over the same period of time (2) he will gain a reputation as an expert who provides speedy service, thus his business should prosper.

Anyway, there's clearly a valid reason to apply a flat rate, but that in itself does not prove that such rate was fairly developed nor that is it being applied reasonably and appropriately.
Old 04-06-2013, 12:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i
Quote:

What it this.
I have been quoted $1000 by the dealer for my oil filter housing gasket in my X5, my indy confirmed that it was challenging to get to...since I have never had to add oil outside of oil changes, I decided to monitor, and not replace.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92; '07Lexus GS350
Who is your indy in Phoenix, and how would you rate their work? I'll be researching to find one after my warranty expires.

Thanks
Old 04-08-2013, 12:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufthansa View Post
Who is your indy in Phoenix, and how would you rate their work? I'll be researching to find one after my warranty expires.

Thanks
Hello Lufthansa...just sent you a PM
Old 04-08-2013, 01:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2010 E92; '07Lexus GS350
Got it - thank you for the information.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E91 328i touring
The oil filter housing is a pain in the ass by virtue of location...the real bummer is that it is literally an O-ring that they wil be replacing...like the $5 part that blew up the space shuttle challenger. The valve cylinder cover is also a VERY cheap part that is not hard to get to. I would think a trusted Indy could replace the two for half that....at least one you have a good relationship with. Are you actually getting any dripping, or is this leak what they call "seepage?" Beyond about 75000 miles, that oil filter housing seeps on all N52s. Also, some seepage at the valve cover is pretty normal with some miles. Both of these are kind of like prostate cancer...slow growing, best simply monitored, and ultimately not the cause of death.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSPlunkett View Post
The oil filter housing is a pain in the ass by virtue of location...the real bummer is that it is literally an O-ring that they wil be replacing...like the $5 part that blew up the space shuttle challenger. The valve cylinder cover is also a VERY cheap part that is not hard to get to. I would think a trusted Indy could replace the two for half that....at least one you have a good relationship with. Are you actually getting any dripping, or is this leak what they call "seepage?" Beyond about 75000 miles, that oil filter housing seeps on all N52s. Also, some seepage at the valve cover is pretty normal with some miles. Both of these are kind of like prostate cancer...slow growing, best simply monitored, and ultimately not the cause of death.
Gaskets on a BMW, and prostate cancer. I now know everything.