Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-04-2013, 10:25 AM
bracer028 bracer028 is offline
Registered User
Location: Arcadia
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Dealer wanted to charge me $1200 for this fix

CYL head cover leaking oil reseal 6.50 oil filter housing leaking oil re vibrol oil leaks.

What it this.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 04-04-2013, 10:52 AM
BiHoTTo115's Avatar
BiHoTTo115 BiHoTTo115 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 667
Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
What in the sweet mother of good is that...is that English? Is that what it said on the receipt?
__________________
2006 330xi | 6AT | Navi | Premium | Cold Weather
]
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-04-2013, 11:05 AM
bracer028 bracer028 is offline
Registered User
Location: Arcadia
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 35
Mein Auto: 2007 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiHoTTo115 View Post
What in the sweet mother of good is that...is that English? Is that what it said on the receipt?
Yea. I think they purposely made it ambiguous so that you would go back to the dealership.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-04-2013, 12:06 PM
furby076's Avatar
furby076 furby076 is offline
IntarWeb Stalker
Location: 95 Feet Under
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,088
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
IF they made it plane english then you would take it to your indy.
You have the right to call them and ask them to explain it. If you don't understand why would you pay
__________________
"Booberry" -ED 2013 335xi | B45 | ZMM | ZDA |Heated Seats | HK |EBII
My Drive Style

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-04-2013, 12:14 PM
Verts4Ever's Avatar
Verts4Ever Verts4Ever is offline
Random Helpbot
Location: Phoenix West Valley
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 933
Mein Auto: 2011 E93 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracer028 View Post
CYL head cover leaking oil reseal 6.50 oil filter housing leaking oil re vibrol oil leaks
I'll guess... Cylinder head cover and oil filter gaskets leaking, requiring replacement and oil change with 6.5 liters of oil.

If so, I can't see how that would be a $1,200 job.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-04-2013, 12:24 PM
BiHoTTo115's Avatar
BiHoTTo115 BiHoTTo115 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 667
Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verts4Ever View Post
I'll guess... Cylinder head cover and oil filter gaskets leaking, requiring replacement and oil change with 6.5 liters of oil.

If so, I can't see how that would be a $1,200 job.
Let's see, $50 for parts, $500 for having to write up that receipt, $200 for having to waste the ink to print it, remaining $450 to actually change it.

Reasonable.
__________________
2006 330xi | 6AT | Navi | Premium | Cold Weather
]
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-04-2013, 12:25 PM
furby076's Avatar
furby076 furby076 is offline
IntarWeb Stalker
Location: 95 Feet Under
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,088
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Translation is not included. $725.95 to translate
__________________
"Booberry" -ED 2013 335xi | B45 | ZMM | ZDA |Heated Seats | HK |EBII
My Drive Style

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-04-2013, 01:34 PM
Kilgore Trout's Avatar
Kilgore Trout Kilgore Trout is offline
Chicks dig Wagons!
Location: Stuck in traffic south of Burbank
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4,836
Mein Auto: E91
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
Translation is not included. $725.95 to translate
Unless you purchase the optional translation insurance when you first take delivery on your car.
__________________
2009 E91 Montego Blue w/ Gray Dakota 6AT ZPP/Logic7/Sirius/Idrive/Butt warmers/6FL/PCD/CA/6NL/Xenons
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-04-2013, 01:37 PM
jburke4689 jburke4689 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ellicott City, MD
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 602
Mein Auto: 2007 335i
Valve cover gasket + Oil filter housing gasket+ 6.5L of oil. $1,200 sounds about right for an N52 at the dealer.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-04-2013, 01:49 PM
bear-avhistory's Avatar
bear-avhistory bear-avhistory is offline
2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Location: NC - USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,192
Mein Auto: 2014 435M-Sport/MPPK
Look for a DIY, there is probably less then $100 in parts involved.
__________________
Kevin

CURRENT:
2014 BMW 435M-Sport MPPK/MPE
2013 BMW 135is 6MT convt
2009 Ford Expedition 4X4 EL - 2009 V-Star
2003 Nissan Xterra 4X4 - 1998 Ford Ranger 4X4 Splash
FFR Cobra Mk-IV work in progress
PAST:
Very, Very Long List
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-04-2013, 02:07 PM
TXFred TXFred is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Austin, TX
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 236
Mein Auto: 2008 335i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verts4Ever View Post
If so, I can't see how that would be a $1,200 job.
Doing the job. $100
Knowing how to do the job. $1100

Frederic
__________________
Any idiot can be fast in a straight line. The corners are what separates the drivers from the commuters.

Powered by corn.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-04-2013, 04:45 PM
galahad05's Avatar
galahad05 galahad05 is online now
Better with Butter
Location: Long Island, NY
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,275
Mein Auto: 335i sedan 6MT
Seriously? For a valve cover gasket?!? What, does one have to disassemble the upper half of the engine bay to get to it or something?

Call it....$900 in labor. At the dealership I go to (Habberstad) I think the going rate is $125/hr. Thus....7 hours of labor.
__________________
Don't resent growing old. Many are denied the privilege.
-- Irish Proverb

Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-04-2013, 06:07 PM
Bemo's Avatar
Bemo Bemo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,072
Mein Auto: 2011 328xi
Write "F U" on the quote, return it and look up your nearest Indy.
__________________
2011 328xi
2011 535xi GT
BMW CCA
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Drewsome Drewsome is offline
Registered User
Location: NY
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 79
Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by galahad05 View Post
Seriously? For a valve cover gasket?!? What, does one have to disassemble the upper half of the engine bay to get to it or something?

Call it....$900 in labor. At the dealership I go to (Habberstad) I think the going rate is $125/hr. Thus....7 hours of labor.
Dealers like to quote prices using the "flat rate" which is a reference tool which supposedly details how long each repair should take. In actuality, any technician/mechanic worth a darn can do the repair in about 1/3 the time. So what happens is that the dealer invoices about 20 hours for each tech, each day. Yup, he bills out $2500 a day for each tech, and that's before he marks up the parts you're buying from him too.

Not bad for the dealer. Often raw deal for the consumer.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-04-2013, 07:30 PM
CALWATERBOY's Avatar
CALWATERBOY CALWATERBOY is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Francisco
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 10,007
Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
IF they made it plane english then you would take it to your indy.

Furb! You da geeter wit da heater? Zaz South Street speak....
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-05-2013, 05:53 AM
furby076's Avatar
furby076 furby076 is offline
IntarWeb Stalker
Location: 95 Feet Under
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 9,088
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewsome View Post
Dealers like to quote prices using the "flat rate" which is a reference tool which supposedly details how long each repair should take. In actuality, any technician/mechanic worth a darn can do the repair in about 1/3 the time. So what happens is that the dealer invoices about 20 hours for each tech, each day. Yup, he bills out $2500 a day for each tech, and that's before he marks up the parts you're buying from him too.

Not bad for the dealer. Often raw deal for the consumer.
I know the manuals you are referring to, and I don't disagree with your time assessment, just the thought (that i read into) that pricing should be lower.

There are manuals out there, for pretty much every car, that states what is the typical labor hours to do a specific job. Better mechanics will take less time, worse mechanics will take more time. Now how fair would it be:
1) New mechanic scenario -> Book value is 2 hours for a job, but a new mechanic, who has to take longer will be working for 3 hours. Should you pay the penalty so the new guy can learn? No, you would be annoyed and demand the expert mechanic
2) Expert mechanic scenario -> Book value is 2 hours for a job, but the expert mechanic can do it in half the time. Should the expert mechanic only make half as much money because he is better at his job? Should he make less then the new mechanic? No - that is ridiculous.

We could argue all day if the book values are correct (or not), but it is a standard way to price item. Now if it's an outrageous amount (and it may be) then obviously move along. I doubt their hours are incorrect, but their hourly rate is probably much higher then indy shop.


Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY View Post
Furb! You da geeter wit da heater? Zaz South Street speak....
Don't hate, regulate
__________________
"Booberry" -ED 2013 335xi | B45 | ZMM | ZDA |Heated Seats | HK |EBII
My Drive Style

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-05-2013, 06:21 AM
Pasa-d Pasa-d is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CA
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 245
Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracer028 View Post
CYL head cover leaking oil reseal 6.50 oil filter housing leaking oil re vibrol oil leaks.

What it this.
You live very close to EMW. Just take it there and see what John says.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-05-2013, 04:35 PM
hadokenuh hadokenuh is offline
Registered User
Location: Houston, TX
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 16
Mein Auto: 2008 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
I know the manuals you are referring to, and I don't disagree with your time assessment, just the thought (that i read into) that pricing should be lower.

There are manuals out there, for pretty much every car, that states what is the typical labor hours to do a specific job. Better mechanics will take less time, worse mechanics will take more time. Now how fair would it be:
1) New mechanic scenario -> Book value is 2 hours for a job, but a new mechanic, who has to take longer will be working for 3 hours. Should you pay the penalty so the new guy can learn? No, you would be annoyed and demand the expert mechanic
2) Expert mechanic scenario -> Book value is 2 hours for a job, but the expert mechanic can do it in half the time. Should the expert mechanic only make half as much money because he is better at his job? Should he make less then the new mechanic? No - that is ridiculous.

We could argue all day if the book values are correct (or not), but it is a standard way to price item. Now if it's an outrageous amount (and it may be) then obviously move along. I doubt their hours are incorrect, but their hourly rate is probably much higher then indy shop.

I agree. That why we can always negotiate anything at dealerships (including service costs). Ask and you should receive at least 10%. 20% or 30% if you are good or have a good case.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 04-05-2013, 06:37 PM
Drewsome Drewsome is offline
Registered User
Location: NY
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 79
Mein Auto: 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
I know the manuals you are referring to, and I don't disagree with your time assessment, just the thought (that i read into) that pricing should be lower.

There are manuals out there, for pretty much every car, that states what is the typical labor hours to do a specific job. Better mechanics will take less time, worse mechanics will take more time. Now how fair would it be:
1) New mechanic scenario -> Book value is 2 hours for a job, but a new mechanic, who has to take longer will be working for 3 hours. Should you pay the penalty so the new guy can learn? No, you would be annoyed and demand the expert mechanic
2) Expert mechanic scenario -> Book value is 2 hours for a job, but the expert mechanic can do it in half the time. Should the expert mechanic only make half as much money because he is better at his job? Should he make less then the new mechanic? No - that is ridiculous.

We could argue all day if the book values are correct (or not), but it is a standard way to price item. Now if it's an outrageous amount (and it may be) then obviously move along. I doubt their hours are incorrect, but their hourly rate is probably much higher then indy shop.
Very good points. However, having taken some auto mechanic classes years ago, I can tell you that the time allotment for most repairs is very, very generous. Maybe it has changed since then and time allotments have become become more realistic. Though I'd be mildly surprised if this were true.

Also, in your expert mechanic scenario -- the expert would still be rewarded for his quick work because (1) he will be installing many more (highly marked up) parts over the same period of time (2) he will gain a reputation as an expert who provides speedy service, thus his business should prosper.

Anyway, there's clearly a valid reason to apply a flat rate, but that in itself does not prove that such rate was fairly developed nor that is it being applied reasonably and appropriately.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 04-06-2013, 12:29 PM
CALLAWAY845 CALLAWAY845 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: phoenix
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 276
Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bracer028 View Post
CYL head cover leaking oil reseal 6.50 oil filter housing leaking oil re vibrol oil leaks.

What it this.
I have been quoted $1000 by the dealer for my oil filter housing gasket in my X5, my indy confirmed that it was challenging to get to...since I have never had to add oil outside of oil changes, I decided to monitor, and not replace.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 04-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Lufthansa Lufthansa is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 779
Mein Auto: 2010 E92; '07Lexus GS350
Who is your indy in Phoenix, and how would you rate their work? I'll be researching to find one after my warranty expires.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 04-08-2013, 12:21 PM
CALLAWAY845 CALLAWAY845 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: phoenix
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 276
Mein Auto: 2007 x5 3.0...2009 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lufthansa View Post
Who is your indy in Phoenix, and how would you rate their work? I'll be researching to find one after my warranty expires.

Thanks
Hello Lufthansa...just sent you a PM
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 04-08-2013, 01:22 PM
Lufthansa Lufthansa is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Arizona
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 779
Mein Auto: 2010 E92; '07Lexus GS350
Got it - thank you for the information.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 04-11-2013, 10:46 AM
PSPlunkett PSPlunkett is offline
Registered User
Location: Charlotte, North Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 18
Mein Auto: 2007 BMW E91 328i touring
The oil filter housing is a pain in the ass by virtue of location...the real bummer is that it is literally an O-ring that they wil be replacing...like the $5 part that blew up the space shuttle challenger. The valve cylinder cover is also a VERY cheap part that is not hard to get to. I would think a trusted Indy could replace the two for half that....at least one you have a good relationship with. Are you actually getting any dripping, or is this leak what they call "seepage?" Beyond about 75000 miles, that oil filter housing seeps on all N52s. Also, some seepage at the valve cover is pretty normal with some miles. Both of these are kind of like prostate cancer...slow growing, best simply monitored, and ultimately not the cause of death.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 04-11-2013, 10:50 AM
BiHoTTo115's Avatar
BiHoTTo115 BiHoTTo115 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NH
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 667
Mein Auto: 2006 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSPlunkett View Post
The oil filter housing is a pain in the ass by virtue of location...the real bummer is that it is literally an O-ring that they wil be replacing...like the $5 part that blew up the space shuttle challenger. The valve cylinder cover is also a VERY cheap part that is not hard to get to. I would think a trusted Indy could replace the two for half that....at least one you have a good relationship with. Are you actually getting any dripping, or is this leak what they call "seepage?" Beyond about 75000 miles, that oil filter housing seeps on all N52s. Also, some seepage at the valve cover is pretty normal with some miles. Both of these are kind of like prostate cancer...slow growing, best simply monitored, and ultimately not the cause of death.
Gaskets on a BMW, and prostate cancer. I now know everything.
__________________
2006 330xi | 6AT | Navi | Premium | Cold Weather
]
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms