Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-06-2013, 02:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via AIM to toddstaples
Mein Auto: 1995 BMW 318i red
Ok.. i replaced the water pump today... after firing up the car and letting it get to operating temp... i still have no heat at idle and seem to have heat only when reving the engine.

Took a short drive after replacing all the coolant and got some heat for a bit, and then it went away...

i'm really getting sick of this goose chase
Old 04-06-2013, 06:09 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Todd,
Try elevating the front of the car slightly before you bleed. According to this thread, you still have some air in your system.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=413037

If you continue to bleed several times and air is still coming out, you have to have a leak in your system somewhere. Remember after your car heats up, the excess water goes into the expansion tank. When the car cools down, it is supposed to suck this excess water from the expansion tank back into the system. If you have a leak somewhere, it short circuits the process, and instead of drawing water, it is drawing air through the leak. If you really get desperate, you could try introducing ultraviolet dye into the system and then check for leaks with a uv light, but I think you just have an air pocked somewhere.
I know you have replaced a lot of parts, but did you replace the expansion tank cap? It could be faulty and allow air in instead of forcing the system to suck in coolant like it's supposed to. Find someone to swap with to see if that's the problem. BTW. when you bleed, no need to squeeze hoses ect. This may be adding to your problem. Just open bleed screw with heat set on high, (Front of car elevated and pour in coolant mix until it comes out of bleed screw running clear, and then tighten bleed screw. BTW Your bleed screws do not leak correct? If they do, replace. Good luck!

Last edited by SJBimmer; 04-06-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old 05-08-2013, 07:41 PM

Still bleeding... no heat at all... NONE... totally no heat now..

i'm thinking about replacing the climate control unit... what do you guys think? do those ever fail? that's probably the only piece of the system i haven't replaced except for going into the heater core
Old 05-08-2013, 07:47 PM
L4P

Send a message via AIM to MalibuMafiaV
Mein Auto: E60 M5 & Stage 3 Audi S4
I didn't read much but did you replace the FSU?.
BMW 2000 3-series - Supercharged Because race car SOLD
Maserati 2004 M128 GT - HREs/tint/straight piped SOLD
BMW 2006 M3 - stock - SOLD
Old 05-08-2013, 08:00 PM

i didn't replace the FSU.. no.. but isn't that for the fan speed? The fans work.. they're blowing.. but it's cold air when i'm setting the temp to 91 degrees...

i'm going to try bleeding some more the way that's shown in the video.. and i'm going to replace the expansion tank cap too. But here's the facts in summary so people dont have to read this whole thread..

what i replaced:
heater core valve
upper and lower hoses
gasket on lower hose temp sensor
thermostat
water pump
all fluid

What i've done to try and figure out the issue:
replaced heater core valve with straight through pvc pipe.. no change
felt both hoses at the heater core to see if they're hot when the car is at temp... they're hot

Observations:
if the hoses at the heater core are hot... coolant must be going into the heater core.. right?
after car has been running for a while... upper hose is really pressurized.. it's hard.. so i'm guessing no air leaks?
For a while the car had heat on and off.. more heat when i parked and cranked the RPM's up to like 4000.. no heat on highways.. then intermittent heat on backroads.
Lately i haven't been bleeding and when i've checked for heat (today).. i have none.. just cold air blowing.

Bleeding procedure i've been doing repeatedly:
get home from work, turn on heat to full, fans low, park on hill, leave car running, loosen bleed screw. Air and fluid spit out. When i see fluid coming out only, i tighten bleed screw. In the morning i add more coolant and go to work hoping that the heat is working... it's not..

Next steps:
replace expansion tank cap..
do bleed procedure that SJBimmer posted a few posts ago which if i can interpret correctly is
car off, cool engine, key on, fans low, heat all the way up, remove bleed screw, remove expansion tank cap, pour in coolant until it overflows out of the bleed screw... till no more air coming out, suck out some fluid till level is correct, replace cap and screw.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: ist schnell! (03 330i SC)
Heater core may be clogged. but if the return hose is also hot, prolly not. There's also a door in the vent system that will direct the airflow over the heater core. I've only read about it recently. Maybe called vent selector or something like that. If that fails or the motor on it, you will never get airflow over your heater core. I'll see if I can find a thread on it.

You probably needed all the stuff you've replaced so far anyway at least preventively, so don't feel so bad about it. It is frustrating when it takes forever to find the root cause though. Hang in there bro.

Also, I think the proper bleed procedure is to do all you've done with the switch on but engine NOT RUNNING. And, DO NOT overfill the system as this is what causes the expansion tanks and other parts to rupture. There needs to be *some* air in the ET to compress as the system pressurizes. If no air and only water, which does not compress, your tank cap may vent some coolant, but any weak piece may POP!

So I think you do the bleed procedure, run the car for several minutes up to temp, shut it off, wait for it to cool sufficiently for safety and then adjust the level using the floater in the tank. Then don't mess with it anymore.
DIY On deck: Rear Diff bushing. UUC SSK, clutch job eventually, Wavetrac LSD

Last edited by ahull; 05-09-2013 at 07:06 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:51 AM

thanks ahull.. great stuff.. definitely let me know if you find anything about that motor because i'm kind of thinking that might be the problem.. just dont know what it is and where it is...

so no one thinks it's the actual climate control unit in the dashboard right?

i'll give the bleed procedure another shot.

One question though... heater core return hose... where is that? I dont know that i've checked if that's hot.. I've checked the two lines going in and out of the heater core VALVE... but i'm guessing that's not the return hose..
Old 05-09-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddstaples View Post
thanks ahull.. great stuff.. definitely let me know if you find anything about that motor because i'm kind of thinking that might be the problem.. just dont know what it is and where it is...

so no one thinks it's the actual climate control unit in the dashboard right?

i'll give the bleed procedure another shot.

One question though... heater core return hose... where is that? I dont know that i've checked if that's hot.. I've checked the two lines going in and out of the heater core VALVE... but i'm guessing that's not the return hose..
Here you go: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...844&highlight=

I'll edit this post in a minute about the hoses... want to be sure I'm explaining it right.

EDIT: Look at this it's for my 330 but should be same for a 325. Hose 3 is inlet to the core, 5 is outlet from if I'm reading correctly. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...90&hg=64&fg=18 WAIT I see you're a 318. Let me double check, may still be very similar.

Last edited by ahull; 05-09-2013 at 08:13 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:18 AM

OK not similar: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...90&hg=64&fg=18

I entered 1/95 manual 318i.

Looks like hose 7 is your "return" to engine hose. If that one isn't as hot as the inlet hoses when running the heat then your core is probably clogged or there's air in there and not getting good flow.

Last edited by ahull; 05-09-2013 at 08:20 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:54 AM

****.. i never updated my info in my profile.. i have a 2001 325XI... used to have a 95 318i...

Thanks! i'll defintely check these hoses!
Old 05-09-2013, 09:44 PM

Mein Auto: '04 330Ci 6-speed
If waterpump was not working, your engine would be overheating.

Do you bleed when the engine is stone cold?
So you completely remove the bleed screw when bleeding?
Old 05-10-2013, 06:20 AM

I haven't been bleeding when it's cold.. i'm probably doing it wrong..

I get home from work.. engine is at hottest it can be.. i let the car run, get out.. and crack the bleed screw and air spits out.. I let that go until fluid comes out then i tighten it down.

I'm realizing that's the not the correct procedure..
Old 05-10-2013, 01:09 PM

Posting on another thread similar to this one this came up....

"Scanning through the thread I posted (about the vent doors), a couple of other things need to be considered:

1. does your dash show the proper outside temp?
2. you need to vac out the little grille on the climate control panel as it detects cabin temperature. Also, there apparently is a fan that draws the air through that grill that can become blocked/fail and that can cause wacky performance. Have to remove radio and climate control to see the back of it."
Old 05-10-2013, 01:29 PM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by toddstaples View Post
I haven't been bleeding when it's cold.. i'm probably doing it wrong..

I get home from work.. engine is at hottest it can be.. i let the car run, get out.. and crack the bleed screw and air spits out.. I let that go until fluid comes out then i tighten it down.

I'm realizing that's the not the correct procedure..
Todd,

Your killing yourself man! Of course the car has to be cold. Think about it a second. If you bleed when the car is hot, you will not only burn yourself, but you are allowing air into the system. As the hot/warm car cools down, it is no longer drawing coolant from the expansion tank as it is supposed to because the system is open. It is now drawing air through the bleed screw, or if present, a leak. Remember, when you are done, make sure the level in the expansion tank is correct, or you will be back on here with a blown expansion tank.
Old 05-10-2013, 04:57 PM

Thanks guys... man.. dont know what i'd do without you ..

i'm going to give my car some love this weekend...
i'll let you all know what i find..