Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-06-2013, 09:09 PM

Mein Auto: 328i coupe
Tinting 328i coupe

Wanted to ask the populace whether I should tint the front and back windows the same level or make the back darker. Thanks for your input.
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2013, 09:30 PM
Shani Patel

Mein Auto: 2007 335i coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by shwaycool View Post
Wanted to ask the populace whether I should tint the front and back windows the same level or make the back darker. Thanks for your input.
definitely make the front and the back the same . IMO it looks weird when the back is darker than the front.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan_y33zy View Post
definitely make the front and the back the same . IMO it looks weird when the back is darker than the front.
I agree, although I didnt do it, I had mine as dark as legally possible where I live and the back can be darker than the front,. '
Old 04-07-2013, 11:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 328iX Coupe
Personally, I think it's safer to keep the front windows lighter than the back - night vision is compromised more by darker tints, and you use the front windows to look out more often for traffic . In back, feel free to go maximum tint that's legal - in front, consider a bit lighter.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:35 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 E92; '07Lexus GS350
Research your state regs on degree of tint. I've read the CHP will stop people and remove their tint if it's too dark.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:33 PM
wooohooo

Mein Auto: '08 335i coupe 6MT sport
Go with the same. IMO, the only reason to go darker, anywhere, is for privacy. I suppose some people think darker looks better, I personally do not, well it really depends on how it matches the paint and interior, but that has as much to do with hue and reflectivity as the % of visible light transmission. Have samples thrown up.

So unless you're going to be chauffeuring VIPs around, I don't see the need for darker in the back, because it's not like it's affording you more privacy at the driver's seat. Darkness has little to do with UV or heat rejection, at least if you're willing to splurge for better technology. My own is super light with 78% visible light transmission, but is top of the class with UV, has high reflectivity, and matches the total solar rejection of the same brand's 15% premium dyed tint. Good luck, there are tons and tons of threads regarding tint, you won't believe it, just run a search, I've posted in double digit of them already myself I'm sure.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:34 PM

Thanks everyone. If I was going to make the tints the same I was going to make them both light cause California sucks. But if they were different than back would definitely be darker.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:37 PM

Thanks ilovemycar. I was wondering how long ur tint has lasted? Also did they have to mess with ur brake light to install on the back windshield?
Old 04-07-2013, 05:45 PM
wooohooo

Quote:
Thanks ilovemycar. I was wondering how long ur tint has lasted? Also did they have to mess with ur brake light to install on the back windshield?
Still good. No. One cosmetic issue you reminded me of however is that coupes have a dot matrix at the rear windshield, where you can get undesirable bubbling so to speak. I totally forgot about my own, until this post now. I keep my car in pretty great shape, and this is really a very easy thing to live with for me. The amount of bubbling will depend on the unit to unit variation of the rear windshield. Many people have some black vinyl cut out, but this will be totally opaque to you. At one point I did wonder about cutting vinyl, but the owner of the most famous tint store in my area totally convinced me not to. And I know it's not because of the greater work involved, he really believed it was the better wtg.

Here is one pic of my car. You can how reflective even a 78% nano ceramic can be. The mftr spec stated is 99% UV rejection, but the shop owner says it has the best UV rejection of his entire selection among the various brands at 99.9%. He used to be a rep in the industry before opening his own shop, he does commercial and residential, so I don't know whether to believe him or the mftr pdf.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:24 PM

What brand tint is that ilovemycar? I noticed u didn't tint ur front windows. Does that affect heat reduction of the back windows at all?
Old 04-07-2013, 08:52 PM
wooohooo

Quote:
What brand tint is that ilovemycar? I noticed u didn't tint ur front windows. Does that affect heat reduction of the back windows at all?
You noticed incorrectly, I have it wrapped all the way around. Your total heat build up is obviously cumulative, if that's what you mean, so in that sense your total reduction will be lowered as you tint less windows, but otherwise the heat rejection of any given window remains the same, but... this seems like common sense, no?

There is a thread somewhere here Nordic Kat uses the same stuff, but only on the two side windows, and I think she posted the different temps she found before/after. I'm sure if she tinted yet more windows, there would be greater reduction of heat- that would only make sense, right?