Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 01-24-2013, 09:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
HMM, from wiki

FlexRay is an automotive network communications protocol developed by the FlexRay Consortium to govern on-board automotive computing. It is designed to be faster and more reliable than CAN and TTP, but it is also more expensive. The FlexRay consortium disbanded in 2009, but the specifications are still available for download at the FlexRay website. The FlexRay standard is currently being converted into an ISO standard.[1]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaj View Post
We took the car in for the annual service about 1 month ago. I explained the odd behavior to our service adviser. In addition to the poor handling we also had a few steering malfunction messages pop. Right away he said it sounded like a software issue. They ran some scans and found many faults for flex-ray (not sure what they were and I am reading off he service invoice). According to paper work they did an at5100_zgm to resync the flex-ray. They also did the update for the acceleration hesitation at the same time. The car is much much more stable now and the acceleration is much smoother. It feels like a different car and I enjoy driving it now!
Old 01-25-2013, 08:01 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2011 X3 35i
I'm experiencing similar issues with the car both pulling and drifting both left and right most noticible at higher speeds. There is definitely tramlining going on with the grooved highways out here but it's much more than that. The pulling tends to be pronounced when I'm off the gas and the car tends to pull fairly sharply right or left when it tramlines or hits some other road feature adn their is a sharp pulling on the steering wheel. I've been thinking lately that it "feels" similar (not is similar) to tourqe steer in that I have to really hold the wheel or it will turn the steering wheel but it can be left or right. Sometimes it goes fairly straight, but othertimes it just seems to go left or right without any steering input or pulling on the steering wheel. It doesn't track very consistently at all. The dealer didn't find any issues when I brought it in for not tracking straight. I'm at 20,000 mi and my tires are are almost worn out, plus the front drivers side tire is bald on the very outside edge so I would imagine new tires and alignment will help but this is very frustrasting. I've had the car in several times over it's lifetime due to consistenct pulling to the right and unablanced steering feel biased toward the right. They finaly ended replacing the front passenger side spindle which fixed the issue at about 8,000 mi. I brought it in recently to ask about the tire wear and they said they would do an alignment when I got new tires (from them).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama_jo's View Post
bdaj, I am feeling your pain. My 35 is just now a year old with 12,xxx miles. in the last couple of thousand, it seems to have gained a mind of its own in the steering department. it reacts very strangely when crossing seams on the highway, almost as if the tires want to stick to the seam and stay with it. i feel as if there are more lateral forces managing the car's direction than going forward in a straight line. its as if the steering wheel is not in control of the car's direction. very disconcerting, not at all fun to drive, tiring, embarrassing as i feel i am all over the road and someone should call a dwi unit! i took it to the dealer and test drove with the shop foreman. he noticed something was awry and suggested a 4 wheel alignment and a cross-rotation of the tires. on my dime by the way as it is not a covered item under the warranty. the alignment read out showed some things "red" which means they were out of spec, but did not show to what degree. but i went along with the recommended program. no change. i am going in for my annual oil change and will not accept the car back if this is not corrected. it is so disturbing that i am considering another brand. We have four BMW's in the family and i am extremely familiar with them. the '08 X-3 3.0si drives as if it is guided by lasers. its almost a sports car with its spot on handling, brakes, and steering. the new X-3 could be the same if they got this electric steering right. i have Pirelli Cinturato tires. all my other cars run Michelins. if i put the car in sport driving mode, it feels better, but its still not the way i think a BMW should handle. Crosswinds affect the steering as well as rough roads and longitudinal seams. This is very disturbing. my suspicion is its software, or control arm bushings, or possibly tires. my fear is that its the new electric power steering and this is just the way it is. more on this from after Monday or Tuesday when i hear back from the dealer. the new loaner X-3 2.8 is much better, but still has some of that sideways front end tendencies. lots of up and down on the front fenders noticable as you drive. thinking of trading to the new four cylinder but definitely not without a fix on this. otherwise i love the car. First Post!!

Last edited by jdavid2; 01-25-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X-3 35
I forgot to mention the front tires were getting significantly cupped on the outside treads of both tires. With the rear tires now on the front, the steering problem still exists. The car did not have this steering problem when it was new, only after about 10,000 miles. I have not had any visible steering faults in the dash or check control. Can a BMW lose its software after a year or is it just some sort of glitch? I am going to suggest a fault code check as well as the software update. i do not have the engine hesitation problem. i could say there is a very slight hesitation but consider it normal with the turbo.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 and 2011 335d
We haven't noticed any wear issues with the tires...

Mama_jo and jdavid2 those issues sound pretty awful. I too would certainly be considering a different vehicle. I received an x1 as a loaner while the x3 was in the shop and man what a difference in steering feel. Felt more like the old x3. I understand the x1 still has hydraulic steering and the whole thing is based on the e90 platform. I would give up a few mpg's to have that in the new x3.

Have the dealers check out the fault codes but it would take much smarter folks than me to come up with other explanations for what you guys are experiencing. Good luck.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:53 PM

highway steering stability

Took my '12 X-3 35XDrive in today for its first oil change, exactly one year after purchase. also complained a second time about steering being very much out of control. of course, it actually felt pretty normal today?? maybe because all the highways from here to the dealer are new and smooth. They could find nothing wrong. no fault codes, no software updates available, no service bulletins, and they even checked something called the "Round Table". Never heard of that before. But they performed a steering start up and relearned the steering stops and reset the steering angle. Their words on the ticket, not mine. Got back in the car and it feels much better!! feel is a little vague at center, but immediately gets some weight to it off center. the car tracked well on the way home, feeling much more BMW-like. and for some reason, it seemed to coast forever. My son is in the car tonight and reports back that he thinks it is vastly improved. So I am not totally sure what has happened, but it seems to be good. more later if i find out anything else. 12,447 miles. oh, i and i get another oil change in 3200 miles? once a year AND when the service indicator calls for it.
Old 01-29-2013, 07:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 x3 and 2011 335d
Glad to hear it worked out!

You are describing the same driving impressions I had when I got the car back. Hopefully, the steering issue is a thing of the past.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:13 PM

Steering still sucks

Still not happy with this elecric steering. Car still wants to follow seams in the road. it feels like there is an axle with threaded ends, the wheels are on the axle, but the nuts are loose! sloppy steering, difficult to control, not at all like a BMW. not sure what to do next other than take another drive with the shop foreman. Never had a steering problem with the many BMW's i have owned since '95.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:39 PM

Highway stability fixed?

Boy, do i feel stupid. After having the tires rotated and aligned, and back again to have the electric steering stops reset, steering aligned, and software re-learned, and still not getting any satisfaction, I decided to get out the tire gauge. My fronts and rears were about 3-4 lbs low. so i filled them up to the recommended 32 front, 35 rear. voila! The car handles better, rides better, steering is WAY better. no more front end roll and wallow on seams and rough roads. Much more fun to drive. i wonder if i should bump it up a pound or two above recommended??
Old 02-06-2013, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 x35i M-Sport
Quote:
Boy, do i feel stupid. After having the tires rotated and aligned, and back again to have the electric steering stops reset, steering aligned, and software re-learned, and still not getting any satisfaction, I decided to get out the tire gauge. My fronts and rears were about 3-4 lbs low. so i filled them up to the recommended 32 front, 35 rear. voila! The car handles better, rides better, steering is WAY better. no more front end roll and wallow on seams and rough roads. Much more fun to drive. i wonder if i should bump it up a pound or two above recommended??
Always the obvious gets overlooked I guess but good to know. I wonder if RFT (if you still have them) are more sensitive to air pressure. If what you say is true, I can imagine riding on a punctured RFT could be interesting. Anyway, if you look on the plate inside the driver's door there are air pressures listed for higher speeds, so bumping up a little bit probably would not hurt.
Old 02-08-2013, 06:27 AM

Mein Auto: 11 X3 xDrive35i (F25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdaj View Post
We took the car in for the annual service about 1 month ago. I explained the odd behavior to our service adviser. In addition to the poor handling we also had a few steering malfunction messages pop. Right away he said it sounded like a software issue. They ran some scans and found many faults for flex-ray (not sure what they were and I am reading off he service invoice). According to paper work they did an at5100_zgm to resync the flex-ray. They also did the update for the acceleration hesitation at the same time. The car is much much more stable now and the acceleration is much smoother. It feels like a different car and I enjoy driving it now!
Which dealership did you go to get your vehicle serviced?

I too experience some of the behavior you have experienced by chalked it up to driving a boxier vehicle (X3 is my 1st suv type vehicle as I have always driven cars for the last 40 yrs.).
Old 02-08-2013, 07:12 AM

My favorite service advisor is Linda at Autohaus BMW in St Louis. Check your tire pressure often! my car was just 3-4 psi low and it handled very poorly. I wish the TPM would tell exact pressures instead of just differentials between the four. First time for me with Pirelli Cinturato's. I prefer Michelins or Continentals.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535xi 2013 X3 35i
Quote:
I wish the TPM would tell exact pressures instead of just differentials between the four.
US-spec X3's have Direct TPMS, you can tell by the metal valve stem. It does read direct pressure, but it just doesnt display it. 3 to 4 PSI may not be enough to trigger the TPMS alarm. What you can do is pump all your tires 2 PSI or so higher, set the TPMS and then lower it back down. That will give you a earlier warning.
Old 02-08-2013, 08:40 AM

Pressure fluctuates with temp, so although mine were ~3 psi below specified on door jamb plate when cold (i.e. having not been driven for a couple of hours), I left them that way because it was about 15F when I checked (maybe colder). Not sure if documented but pressures need to be correct at "normal" temps (e.g. perhaps "standard temp" used in science (i.e. 25C/77F). I'll check them again when it warms up. In any case, my X3 handles quite well (so far, no erratic handling).
Old 02-08-2013, 10:41 AM

Noke, you should always check the tire pressure cold, meaning not driven for a while and the air inside the tire has cool down.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
Noka, you should always check the tire pressure cold, meaning not driven for a while and the air inside the tire has cool down.
Of course. What I was getting at is that checking at let's say 0F or 100F (to use extremes) would be incorrect to do.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:49 PM

I'm feeling very stupid. After two trips to the dealer, one for alignment and rotation, one for an electronic "re-learning" of the electric steering system, i decided to check tire pressure at home. OMG! i was reading 28-29psi all around. put in the specified 32/35psi and the car now drives like a BMW! No, the TPM did not notify and no one at the dealer thought to check. oh well, I'm a much happier driver!
Old 03-02-2013, 09:52 AM

Mein Auto: X-3 2013
Same big problem

My third X3. Very very dissatified with the stability: completely different than the 2006 and 2009. I would try the different solutions exposed but I am quite skeptic: it is quite clear for me that it is an "hypersensibilty" to the winds. can we add some equipment (like torsion bar) to help? I went to the dealer twice: everything is OK for them! My last Bmw if it stays like that.

Last edited by dbrade; 03-02-2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:24 AM

We just pick up our 13 X3 35i and I must agree with some of the points here in this thread, the X3 does tend to drift at high wind condition when driven over 75 MPH or so. Compare to our last 2 SUV, the Q5 and the Lexus RX450h, the X3 is a bit more unpredictable at high wind. Since it is a BMW, I expected it to be very stable at high speed, I must say I am a bit disappointed. I don't think its the electric steering since our Lexus had electric steering as well and did not behave like the X3 at high wind. The Lexus' suspension was also softer than the X3, so I don't think that is the problem either. I am thinking it must be the aerodynamics of the X3 that is causing the problem.

Last edited by The X Men; 04-07-2013 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:05 AM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by The X Men View Post
We just pick up our 13 X3 35i and I must agree with some of the points here in this thread, the X3 does tend to drift at high wind condition when driven over 75 MPH or so. Compare to our last 2 SUV, the Q5 and the Lexus RX450h, the X3 is a bit more unpredictable at high wind. Since it is a BMW, I expected it to be very stable at high speed, I must say I am a bit disappointed. I don't think its the electric steering since our Lexus had electric steering as well and did not behave like the X3 at high wind. The Lexus' suspension was also softer than the X3, so I don't think that is the problem either. I am thinking it must be the aerodynamics of the X3 that is causing the problem.
Hmmm...not my experience. Yesterday we drove out to the mountains of Western Maryland where traffic usually moves at speeds substantially above the posted limits. Most of my driving was done in sport mode, although I occasionally used comfort. We were both were moved to comment on the quiet competency and stability of the X3 at high speed. My car is a 35i M Sport with DHP built in 2/13. I will have a hightened sensitivity to this potential issue.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:16 AM

Capobranco, If you have DHP and in sport mode, that might be the difference. Was it windy up in the mountains?

Last edited by The X Men; 04-08-2013 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 08:53 AM

We had some pretty high wind conditions in the Boston area yesterday, up to 40 MPH gust. On the highway, the X3 was very unstable at 75 mph under those wind conditions, at 65 mph, it was as stable as any other SUV I have driven. At 75 mph+, it almost seem like the suspension is too soft and the wind is actually lifting the car up and causing it to be unstable. Have anyone here ever experience unstablility under high wind condition? Any solution that anyone here might want to share? Thank You.

Last edited by The X Men; 04-08-2013 at 08:55 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
Wow.. nope, really not my experience. I drove to the mountains again yesterday with my German shepherd and we were really moving. My X3 35i M Sport with DHP felt rock steady. Given your prior post, I was looking for even a wisp of instability. My X3 was fast - responsive - and tracked true. Maybe it's the combination of our stiffer suspension in sport, 19 inch wheels, sport variable steering, and performance control. This has to be very disconcerting and I agree totally out of character from what you would expect from a BMW. I am sure this taints your ownership experience - it would mine. I would definitely discuss with BMWNA.

Last edited by Capobranco; 04-11-2013 at 11:07 AM.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:48 PM

Thanks for yours comments.
The problem is probably less visible with the X-3 35i sport. My car is the 2.8 without any sport adjustment for the suspension. I experience this instability at almost any speed in windy conditions! The four cylinders is lighter and really leave a lot of empty space in the front of the car. I think they didn't make the necessary adjustments for that. Again...not what you expect from a BMW.
Old 04-11-2013, 06:43 AM

Following up on my X3's high wind stability issue, got a 4 wheel alignmant yesterday and the car drives much better and feels much better on the highway and turns. I have not driven it in high wind condition yet, so I am not sure if that problem have been rectified. The tire shop found one of the front wheel's toe out of spec and corrected it. One thing I also notice is that what I use to think was wind noise coming from the side mirrors is now gone. I believe I probably mistaken noise from the tires rubbing to be wind noise. The next time I am on the highway in windy condition, I will report back on the stability issue.
Old 04-11-2013, 07:21 PM

Waiting to read you!