Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-06-2013, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: Car
Vacation: What to do with X3

i'm going on a vacation for a few weeks and am wondering what should i do to keep the x3 in tip top condition when i come back. i know that there's something to be done with the battery - can this be done by ourselves or would we have to have the beemer people do it?

i hear it's a matter of hooking up the battery to a power outlet. will the hood be open all the time? or will it be discreet.

any help on this, i appreciate, thanks!
Advertisement
Old 04-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
park it and forget it... the car will be fine upon your return
Old 04-07-2013, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
+1 -- of course "a few weeks" is a bit unclear. If you mean no longer than three weeks then you should be good to go -- as long as you don't have other problems with battery drain. If it were me I might invest in one of those $30 portable start packs, charge it up and leave it in the car just in case. I would also familiarize myself with the jump start terminals under the hood -- not a bad thing to know anyway. Then I would forget about it and enjoy my vacation, come back, jump in the car and drive off with a smile and a lightened wallet.
Old 04-07-2013, 07:48 AM

Mein Auto: -
Hand a set of keys to a trusty neighbor and request them to let the engine run a couple minutes once a week? ("Just turn the engine on, don't go for joyrides!" :P)
Old 04-07-2013, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Interestingly, I put a lithium-ion battery for my motorcycle which is amazing. I disconnected the battery terminal last fall. I didn't charge the battery all winter and it was left outside. Yesterday I hooked up the terminal and it started the bike after almost 5 months untended and in sub zero temps. Maybe BMW needs to replace it's AGM batteries with light weight lithium-ion.

Here is a video I made of the first start... temps were -5c the night before. The old bike is somewhat temperamental being air cooled and carbureted.
Old 04-07-2013, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnixer View Post
i'm going on a vacation for a few weeks and am wondering what should i do to keep the x3 in tip top condition when i come back. i know that there's something to be done with the battery - can this be done by ourselves or would we have to have the beemer people do it?

i hear it's a matter of hooking up the battery to a power outlet. will the hood be open all the time? or will it be discreet.

any help on this, i appreciate, thanks!
I sometimes leave my X3 parked for two weeks at a time, and have never had a problem when I return.
Old 04-09-2013, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
+1 -- of course "a few weeks" is a bit unclear. If you mean no longer than three weeks then you should be good to go -- as long as you don't have other problems with battery drain. If it were me I might invest in one of those $30 portable start packs, charge it up and leave it in the car just in case. I would also familiarize myself with the jump start terminals under the hood -- not a bad thing to know anyway. Then I would forget about it and enjoy my vacation, come back, jump in the car and drive off with a smile and a lightened wallet.
it should be about four weeks to maybe two months depending on the situation. your recommendation sounds good - i can't leave the keys to a neighbour either so the battery pack sounds good. do i need to prop the hood up? worried about theft and all if the hood happens to be open.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:08 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
No, just get the pack (they are self contained) be sure its fully charged then put it in the back storage area until you need it. It basically is a small battery, some even have a air pump built in, that is useful for emergency power to start the car or fill up a flat or anything inflatable. Car is fully locked, hood down. You only hook up the pack when you need it to start the car. Perfect for those long trips in winter for peace of mind.To get an idea of what one looks like, go to www.sportsmansguide.com and look under item C3X2-285097.

Last edited by UncleJ; 04-10-2013 at 04:03 PM.