Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 04-06-2013, 09:48 PM
Chingerbunnies

Mein Auto: 2005 X3 and 2006 325cic
Cool should i buy.....325i convertible

Hey Everybody....

I found a 2006 325i convertible with 52K miles on it and a clean carfax.....should I buy it? What do I need to be aware of? Any help/advice is much appreciated! thanks
Ads by Google
Old 04-06-2013, 10:01 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
1. Read the E46 Wiki !

2. Get a PPI performed....I will cost you an hour`s labor (approx.), but you can use their findings to negotiate a more favorable price.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 04-06-2013, 10:06 PM
Chingerbunnies

Thanks....
Old 04-07-2013, 08:40 AM
Living Life At The Beach

Mein Auto: 2004 325 Convertible
I can tell you that I love my 2004 325 vert. Don't expect fast though. The engine has just enough power to be a little bit of fun, but you sure won't win any stoplight races. The E46 vert has a classic look IMO.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 01 325i automatikgetriebe
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJBimmer View Post
I can tell you that I love my 2004 325 vert. Don't expect fast though. The engine has just enough power to be a little bit of fun, but you sure won't win any stoplight races. The E46 vert has a classic look IMO.
I hope you get a good report on your pre-purchase inspection and negotiate a favorable price. I like the 2.5 engine in my '01 325i - it is fast enough to pass other cars with ease and gives you a smile on a heavy-footed takeoff. Gas mileage is good and I think the car is more than adequately powered. I really like the 2.8 or 3.0 I6, but the 2.5 holds it own. Thankfully, a 325 convertible should not be fast enough to get you into any real trouble (like the ticket I got for doing 112MPH while passing a line of cars on I-16 north of Savannah, GA in my wife's Porsche Cayman.)

You will likely need to do the 60k mile service (mainly fluid changes?) and then think about replacing some wear items (cooling system, control arm bushings, belts, pulleys and hoses) around 100k. I know that sounds like a lot of money, but parts are cheap and many of the jobs are easy DIYs. Good luck - I know you will enjoy the car if you get it.
Old 04-07-2013, 11:33 AM
Chingerbunnies

Thanks for the help.....I will get a PPI, and the carfax shows last service this past January at local BMW dealer. As for 325, not looking to blow the doors off people, I'm past that, just want a nice stylin' ragtop, with decent mpg's.

Maybe I should've asked earlier but, as for Extended Warranties, any ideas? I know I will buy one but, should I get it myself online or go with what dealer offers? Any recommended companies?

Thanks again.

Last edited by chingerbunnies; 04-07-2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-07-2013, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chingerbunnies View Post
Maybe I should've asked earlier but, as for Extended Warranties, any ideas? I know I will buy one but, should I get it myself online or go with what dealer offers? Any recommended companies?

Thanks again.
You will find much debate on this board regarding warranties. Some say you will not need it with a car of your mileage, but others will tell you its not bad money to spend. If (God forbid) your convertible top system were to die, you might be glad you had the warranty.

From what I have experienced, GMAC is one of the best warranty companies. I paid about $2000 for 2 years on a bumper-to-bumper warranty for a Land Rover Discovery. They did a couple of hard to do jobs (pretty sure I broke even +saved $400) and even reimbursed me for towing. GE offers good warranties. If perchance you are old enough, AARP offers warranties. I also think COSTCO offers auto warranties.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Keeping it surreal

Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci ZHP 3 pedals
Quote:

Thanks again.
If you actually DO find someone who will give you an extended warranty on a *9-year-old* car, you can be assured that they will jam it up your ass with the price.

My suggestion?
Take the $3500 or whatever the warranty company was gonna charge you, and put that money in an ING Direct or other interest-bearing account, then stick a few bucks a month (or whenever you can afford to) in that account to build up a nice little slush fund.
In the event you need repairs, the money will be there.
If you DON`T, all the better....the money is still in *your* pocket.

*Please support the Wounded Warrior Project*

When faced with choosing between two evils, always go with the one you`ve never tried before....
Old 04-07-2013, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 650i 330cic X5d MINI
^^^. This. Some warranties have a provision for pre existing conditions. With a car that age, it gives them an out on practically every claim. Get it inspected, get what they find fixed or walk away from the deal. If you buy it save the ret of the dough and enjoy the ride.

Old 04-08-2013, 12:55 PM

Fast Bob and FreedoinSF are both right. You could set aside the cash for the price of a warranty and use it when necessary. Or, you may not get much coverage if you do get a warranty. I do know that most warranty companies will cover cars under 100K miles, but the age of this car could be a factor. Still, I'd be interested to see what kind of quote and coverage you could get.

Last edited by vandyboy; 04-08-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:35 PM
Displaced Charger Fan

Mein Auto: 330Ci Convertible
Quote:
Hey Everybody....

I found a 2006 325i convertible with 52K miles on it and a clean carfax.....should I buy it? What do I need to be aware of? Any help/advice is much appreciated! thanks
Do it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
1. Read the E46 Wiki !

2. Get a PPI performed....I will cost you an hour`s labor (approx.), but you can use their findings to negotiate a more favorable price.
After you do these^^

Iím usually a ninja, but my Spidey-senses told me he was going to take a fall, so I saved his life. - Martellus Bennett
Old 04-09-2013, 01:32 AM

Mein Auto: 05 330i convertible
Love my vert, don't kid yourself, no BMW is going to be king of the drag strip. Verts have the same problems as any other e46, with the added complication of the top. However, top problems seem fairly rare, and are usually initially caused by an obstruction. I have an aftermarket warranty from Compass. In hindsight, I wouldn't do it again. However, they have been very good about covering things. My mechanic says they are the best warranty company he has ever dealt with. I have used about $1,800 of the $2.300 I paid for it w/ 1.5 yrs to go. Time will tell if I did OK on the deal,
Old 04-10-2013, 06:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet31 View Post
Love my vert, don't kid yourself, no BMW is going to be king of the drag strip. Verts have the same problems as any other e46, with the added complication of the top. However, top problems seem fairly rare, and are usually initially caused by an obstruction. I have an aftermarket warranty from Compass. In hindsight, I wouldn't do it again. However, they have been very good about covering things. My mechanic says they are the best warranty company he has ever dealt with. I have used about $1,800 of the $2.300 I paid for it w/ 1.5 yrs to go. Time will tell if I did OK on the deal,
I did some research on warranties and Compass came up several times with good reviews. Thanks for the info - the bumper to bumper just expired on my wife's car and we are looking for a new warranty.
Old 04-10-2013, 08:05 PM

Mein Auto: 05 330i convertible
^ They covered my front bushings and oil filter housing gasket, I was shocked, they could have argued these were wearable parts, but didn't. My warranty says I have to have my service done by the place that sold me the warranty. In this case, it was the BMW dealer, which I'm fine with. I don't mind the higher prices when the warranty company is paying. Also, the dealer has leverage with Compass, because if they get too much run-around, the dealer will get blamed for selling a bad warranty.