Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)

E90/E92/E93 M3 (2008 - 2014)
4th generation E90 M3 sedan, E92 M3 coupe and E93 M3 convertible. The last of the naturally aspirated M3s, powered by a 4.0 liter V8 making 414hp and 295 lb-ft of torque.

Old 04-03-2013, 06:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 M3 coupe ZCP DCT
Quote:
Originally Posted by slave2gravity View Post
As to your other question - I'm a short 10min drive from the base of the Santa Cruz mountains and access to hundreds of twisty, flowy, picturesque miles of coastal mountain roads. That said, I probably can't even access all the power of a 335 safely, but at least I can access a greater percentage of it compared to an M3 or my old M5!
With access to this type of road, IMO, this is where the M3 would shine vs. the 335i. Power aside, it's the ability to effectively control it with better handling, steering and braking. Plus the induction and exhaust sound adds to the visceral experience.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:08 PM
Eye of the Wolf

Mein Auto: M3 ZCP, X3 35i M Sport
I often drive in a "spirited" manner on rural mountain roads in the mountains of western Maryland and West Virginia, but I would consider it reckless to try to fully explore the capabilities of my M3 on public roads. I do not think you have to be at 8/10s or above to appreciate the M3 experience. The defining characteristic that makes the M so special for me is a feeling of sensual connectivity - a sense of oneness that my M3 is an exquisitely sensitive synapse that connects me to the road. I owned an e93 335i and appreciate its fine driving experience - I adore my M3 at any speed.

Last edited by Capobranco; 04-03-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:05 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
The S65 is a gem. I routinely like to stretch her legs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:51 AM
Fight On!

Mein Auto: BMW M3, Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Yeah, I don't like EPS, either. I walked away from Audi b/c of it, and even on the new 911 it's a bit of a disappointment. The 3 felt fine in terms of weighting, but didn't feel great in terms of feedback. Oh well, the march of progress cannot be slowed...

As to your other question - I'm a short 10min drive from the base of the Santa Cruz mountains and access to hundreds of twisty, flowy, picturesque miles of coastal mountain roads. That said, I probably can't even access all the power of a 335 safely, but at least I can access a greater percentage of it compared to an M3 or my old M5!
If you live so close to the Santa Cruz mountain, the M3 decision should be a no brainer. I would take her to those twisties every day just to listen to her sing @ 8000+RPM.

BMW CCA Member #xx4477
2006 Z4 M Coupe (e86) 6MT
2013 M3 Coupe (e92) 6MT
Old 04-04-2013, 07:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 E92 M3
Quote:
Well balls...this thread is making me second guess my decision to order a new 335i M-Sport last week... I sold my e39 M5 sedan due to age, miles and a pending newborn (our first) in August. I'd debated a CPO M3 in order to get the sedan, but couldn't find any manuals available and so I rationalized that I can't use 414hp on the road fully (and my wife will only let me track motorcycles, not our daily drivers).

Bugger...
They're all amazing cars dont worry. You can't go wrong with the 335. DId you get the e92 or the F30? I am assuming the F30 no?
Old 04-04-2013, 08:35 PM
Brakes?!?!?!

Mein Auto: 335i, Outback, '62 Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by johndong888 View Post
They're all amazing cars dont worry. You can't go wrong with the 335. DId you get the e92 or the F30? I am assuming the F30 no?
Yup, ordered last week, expecting delivery late May / early June. I pinged my brother this morning who's got an '09 M3 and a new baby girl, and he told me there's no room in the car for the baby seat and I made the right choice ordering the 335i b/c of the extra room alone. I offered that we swap cars depending on our availability to go on sporting drives.

I also spent time digging up *old* reviews of the 335i, which reminded me that I'm still getting a pretty darn sweet ride.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
Yup, ordered last week, expecting delivery late May / early June. I pinged my brother this morning who's got an '09 M3 and a new baby girl, and he told me there's no room in the car for the baby seat and I made the right choice ordering the 335i b/c of the extra room alone. I offered that we swap cars depending on our availability to go on sporting drives.

I also spent time digging up *old* reviews of the 335i, which reminded me that I'm still getting a pretty darn sweet ride.
No room for a baby seat? Is your brother and wife 7ft? I'm 6'1 and have the biggest child seat known to mankind ( Britax Regent ) with my four year old behind me and my 8 year old is in a Britax Parkway booster behind my wife. It works fine but there's no unnecessary space so if they are very tall it could be a challenge I guess.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:53 PM
Brakes?!?!?!

Mein Auto: 335i, Outback, '62 Vette
I think for rear facing child seats its an issue(?). I'm still learning about this whole parenting thing in prep for my daughters birth in August. I've also heard from an e90 335i owner that his kids were able to kick the back of the drivers seat, which was annoying enough to him to promptly trade in for a 5 series (he's also not an enthusiast).
Old 04-04-2013, 08:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2015 F80 M3
Quote:
I think for rear facing child seats its an issue(?). I'm still learning about this whole parenting thing in prep for my daughters birth in August. I've also heard from an e90 335i owner that his kids were able to kick the back of the drivers seat, which was annoying enough to him to promptly trade in for a 5 series (he's also not an enthusiast).

Not a problem. Rear facing means very small baby so no feet sticking out. And the safest spot for a small one is in the middle due to larger distance to the outside, I.e crumble zones. Congrats btw, parenthood is awesome and what better way to celebrate than with a new car!

Btw kids can kick the 5 series seat easily ( I had the E60 and F10 ). The prevention is discipline not a bigger car I was toying with the idea of putting my kids in a 911 but sadly realized that it's a bit tight and they get the rear speakers right up on them.

Last edited by solstice; 04-04-2013 at 09:05 PM.
Old 04-07-2013, 10:17 PM

Mein Auto: AW E92 335i
Went from a N54 FBO+Meth --> Stock DCT M3.

Yes, the M3 felt very underwhelming in straight lines at first; I'm at an elevation of around 3500-4000 ft, meaning the N/A S65 suffers more than my old car.

On the other hand, the engine sounds, looks and handling of the E92 M3 go some way to make up for it. I have to work the gears and make the engine scream to go fast, whereas a tuned 335i will pick up speed easily in any gear.

Power delivery is much different too; my old car had a double thump in the chest and really felt like a jet aircraft taking off. The M3 is much more linear; it feels gutless, but the speedo tells a different story.

Last edited by bigup; 04-07-2013 at 10:18 PM.