Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)

X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)
The newest sport activity vehicle from BMW is a crossover-coupe style and is expected to appear sometime in 2008!

Old 04-09-2013, 02:28 AM

Mein Auto: X6 50i
Post X6 50i Brakes & Dust Build Up

Hi Folks,

My new baby will soon require the brakes to be given a refresh - from the prior service history I know that the following parts apply:

Front:
34116791514 <- Front Brake Pad Set
34356789502 <- Front Brake Pad Sensor
34116793243 <- Front Brake Disc

Rear:
34216768471 <- Rear Brake Pad Set
34356789505 <- Rear Brake Pad Sensor

A few questions for those who have been through this before, as I intend to source the parts myself:
  1. I'm guessing, but is the Rear Brake Disc part code 34216793246? (I've checked the fantastic realoem website and this appears to be the part, but as there are three to choose from, I'm not entirely certain).
  2. I hate the dust build up on the rims - it happens very quickly and I've found that changing the pads for one that are low dust can give excellent results. Has anyone got a recommendation about alternative pads that they can suggest?

Further to the last question - a Google search seems that folks solve the dust problem (on other cars) using ceramic brake pads. I'm interested in whether other X6 forum users have experience here:
  • Do the ceramic brake pads work well (and have the same life) as the regular brake pads?
  • Do I need special Brake Discs to get the benefit of the ceramic brakes (and if so what should I use)?
  • Is there a recommendation for a particular ceramic brake product that seems to work best on the X6?
  • In the case of specific ceramic brake products, do they simply snap into place as would the regular pads, without requiring anything additional (i.e. the BMW pad sensor works as before)?

Having being a previous X5 owner for 8 years, I know how these heavy cars can chew through brakes, so I wanted to better manage the process from the start rather than wincing when the dealer calls to tell me that the brakes all need replacing

Thanks all for your help/suggestions!

Cheers,
David
Advertisement