Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 04-04-2013, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: M35
Red cog-Clutch Adaptation Active

Hi there I am looking at buying an 06 M5 e60 smg with known clutch issues. It has 43K miles. They are discounting the price for the need of repairs.
The car runs a little rough in low gears but not terrible. In up gears and higher rpms seems to really pull nicely.. It has the red cog and beeping constantly with "Clutch! adaptation active" on the screen.
They took it to an indy mechanic that apperently tried to reset everything or adapt- not sure that he had the corrrect software, but said the adaptation would not take.. not sure what the codes there were. He saaid he tested the pump pressure and that it seem fine.
They would not let me try the 2 paddle reset while I was driving it... but with red cog not sure that would would anyhow...
Any thoughts...The indy mechanic said it looked like someone had been in the tranny recently and may have replaced the clutch and fly wheel but didnt know unless he takes it back apart...
So long story short, are there any suggestions has anyone seen this "clutch! adaptation active". posibble fixes or worst case scenarios..
Is there any amatuer type scanner software that I could try out prior to spending the big bucks on new clutch-flywheel?
I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks

Last edited by gtwhale; 04-04-2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: bad grammar
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2013, 04:30 PM

Mein Auto: M5
Other than bringing it to BMW I think you are wasting your time. So much on these cars are proprietary to BMW that without the factory diagnostic tools and software for issues like this, no one other than BMW can fix it. I believe an SMG pump replacement is 4K. I think the entire tranny is $6700. Point is, this could be a very expensive fix. In My opinion, I would not touch this car.
Old 04-05-2013, 07:23 PM

Mein Auto: M35
If all else looks good with the car, I could offer them $10K off the going price for a low mileage '06...Which is about what I have discussed with them.
Old 04-06-2013, 02:48 AM

Mein Auto: M5
I think if you can get the car with a 10K 'cushion' let's say under the appraised value, you should be OK. I would still run all this by a service manager at your local BMW dealer. Even better, if the seller lets you bring it to them for a repair estimate. It's well worth the few hundred bucks they would charge you to go over the car even if you don't buy it. These cars are very expensive to fix. Good Luck! keep us posted.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:20 PM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtwhale View Post
Hi there I am looking at buying an 06 M5 e60 smg with known clutch issues. It has 43K miles. They are discounting the price for the need of repairs.
The car runs a little rough in low gears but not terrible. In up gears and higher rpms seems to really pull nicely.. It has the red cog and beeping constantly with "Clutch! adaptation active" on the screen.
They took it to an indy mechanic that apperently tried to reset everything or adapt- not sure that he had the corrrect software, but said the adaptation would not take.. not sure what the codes there were. He saaid he tested the pump pressure and that it seem fine.
They would not let me try the 2 paddle reset while I was driving it... but with red cog not sure that would would anyhow...
Any thoughts...The indy mechanic said it looked like someone had been in the tranny recently and may have replaced the clutch and fly wheel but didnt know unless he takes it back apart...
So long story short, are there any suggestions has anyone seen this "clutch! adaptation active". posibble fixes or worst case scenarios..
Is there any amatuer type scanner software that I could try out prior to spending the big bucks on new clutch-flywheel?
I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks
Is there anything you can try out before spending the big bucks??? The car isn't even yours! Why would you even consider spending money?

I would let this one go. The seller sounds like he's full of ****. There are plenty of M5's on the market.

When you find one have it inspected. I would recommend having it inspected at an Indy found through bimrs.org. Join up at BMWCCA while your at it.

Don't buy someone else's problem. If they don't want to fully disclose the problems and have the car fixed IMO it's not worth it.

Good luck.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614