Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > 2004 Events > Santa Barbara, CA - May 1

Santa Barbara, CA - May 1

Old 05-03-2004, 05:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 04 GT3, 03 M3, 02 Carrera
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaramill
Hey, this is Gio, we met at the off-ramp of the I-101 Fwy in Encino and you asked me where the caravan was for Bimmerfest. I have the Red M3. Nice to meet you and damn that Porsche GT3 is nice. Next time bring the BMW!

Gio

P.S. - I'm on page 2 Bimmerfest Pics (page 2) withe ///M Power windshield decal
thanx. yea it was nice meetin ya. I was wondering which forum you were on since I forgot to ask. Next time you go autox PM me or somethin because I want to try it out

GT3 Weekend
M3 Show (in the process...)
Carrera Daily
Old 05-03-2004, 05:58 PM
BMWCCA Auto-x Instructor

Mein Auto: Silver 1999 M3 Coupe 5spd
Sure no problem. I usually compete in SCCA events. And if you're a first timer, there is a an auto-x school coming up this month. Go to SCCA - Cal Club Region (Solo2 Division) I also do BMWCCA events when they have them, either for the Los Angeles Chapter or the San Diego Chapter.

Check them out.

Gio
Old 05-03-2004, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Sure no problem. I usually compete in SCCA events. And if you're a first timer, there is a an auto-x school coming up this month. Go to SCCA - Cal Club Region (Solo2 Division) I also do BMWCCA events when they have them, either for the Los Angeles Chapter or the San Diego Chapter.

Check them out.

Gio
Is there an OC chapter?

GT3 Weekend
Carrera Daily
Old 05-03-2004, 07:17 PM
BMWCCA Auto-x Instructor

Mein Auto: Silver 1999 M3 Coupe 5spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3pinoydriver
Is there an OC chapter?
No there isn't. Based on your zipcode when you join BMWCCA, you'll be assigned to a chapter. Anyone in San Diego County goes to the San Diego Chapter. The other chapters are the Golden Gate Chapter (for San Fran area), Central Cali Chapter for Central California, then LA Chapter which encompasses most counties in the SoCal area (except San Diego). So you'd be assigned to the LA Chapter.

Now........the Porsche Club of America does have regions broken up into different counties that are much smaller (i.e. San Gabriel Valley, etc...). So checkout their clubs as well.

Gio
Old 05-03-2004, 08:48 PM

Quote:
No there isn't. Based on your zipcode when you join BMWCCA, you'll be assigned to a chapter. Anyone in San Diego County goes to the San Diego Chapter. The other chapters are the Golden Gate Chapter (for San Fran area), Central Cali Chapter for Central California, then LA Chapter which encompasses most counties in the SoCal area (except San Diego). So you'd be assigned to the LA Chapter.

Now........the Porsche Club of America does have regions broken up into different counties that are much smaller (i.e. San Gabriel Valley, etc...). So checkout their clubs as well.

Gio
cool thanx for the great info. I might just sign up for both

GT3 Weekend
Carrera Daily
Old 05-03-2004, 10:47 PM

Mein Auto: BRAND NEW M3 BABY!!!!!
Talking

LOL man all i can say is whateverz i drive my dream car at 18 W00t! And when im 28 ill be in a Ferrari and still have people flame me because im young! hahaaha
Old 05-05-2004, 05:54 PM

Mein Auto: 97 Motorsport 4Dr.
hey now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16hr Day
I am almost 40 and buying the car as a gift to myself. I went with a friend and as we walked around it seemed that these 60K+ cars where owned by kids in their early 20's! I have always thought of myself as a "young guy" but it was depressing to see basically teenagers driving the car that I am streatching to buy as an adult. I also fear that a good percentage of these kids will wrap their hopped up supercharged M3's around a tree somewhere. Good luck trust fund babies!

YOur totally right, kinda....i am 23 years old, i was 16 when i owned my e28 84' 533i. This thing was a beater, let me tell ya, but i totally loved the design and ride that the bmw offered. I was love. From there on i would go to the dealership and slobber all over the m3, this was the e36 model at the time, but i told myself "someday this baby is going to be mine" I worked my ass off, now 23 i got the chance and bought myself a 97' 4dr motorsport. Now 23, my new fantasy is to drive a car like your own. So maybe when i your age i can afford a 50-55 thousand dollared ride. So i think you can see where im going with this. Basically, if a kid driving a m3, he either loves the car so much he'll work his ass off for it or simply, mommy and daddy open there wallets. And i think most kids got the nice parents who will buy there kid what ever they want. But then again most of those kids cant wipe there own ASS!!

ps bimmerfest was fun, but i think everybody drove too slow, hahah

darius
Old 05-05-2004, 06:44 PM
Victory is mine!

Mein Auto: 03' 330i ZHP, 04' 325ci
I wouldn't say the drive was too slow, but too short...

Maybe we need to go all the way up to pismo beach or something, and do 2 drives to keep out the boredom at around lunchtime
Old 05-06-2004, 10:12 AM
In Driving Heaven

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailwind
I wouldn't say the drive was too slow, but too short...

Maybe we need to go all the way up to pismo beach or something, and do 2 drives to keep out the boredom at around lunchtime
How many more coordination stops would we need? That was the really tough part of the road rally.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Mystic Blue 330i, SP, PP, Nav, Heated Seats, Step -- ED July 10, 2003
Old 05-06-2004, 11:16 AM
Dragon Slayer

Mein Auto: 2004 M3
Interesting thread. I'm 18 and my first car is an '03 325i stripper (ONLY option is Step because I haven't learned to drive a stick ... I know) ... my parents bought it for me, and I payed most of the money I had saved up (around 10% of the total price). I also pay for all mods I do on her, which is only clears right now, and hopefully new wheels in the future.

I do have my own business where I make some modest money that allows me to pay for mods and other things. I never expected to drive a new BMW as my first car, but it just worked out that way (we started looking at used 323s and they were way overpriced). I do all I can to deserve the car, i.e. never getting into trouble (zero accidents or tickets) and making good grades.

Someday, I hope I can be one of those young guys with an M3, but my 325 is plenty good for me right now and through college!

2004 ///M3 - Carbon Black/Cinnamon
Follow me on Twitter: @mnjames
Old 05-06-2004, 11:57 AM
Banned

Mein Auto: 5/01 production 330Cic
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjames
Interesting thread. I'm 18 and my first car is an '03 325i stripper (ONLY option is Step because I haven't learned to drive a stick ... I know) ... my parents bought it for me, and I payed most of the money I had saved up (around 10% of the total price). I also pay for all mods I do on her, which is only clears right now, and hopefully new wheels in the future.
No criticism of you, bud, from my POV I'm happy for you that you get to share in the Ultimate Driving Machine experience.

I think what irks some of those in your parents generation is just that time have changed considerably in this regard. When I was a youth, it was almost unheard of for parents to drop that kind of bank for a new car for their kid. It happened, but usually only among the richest, most spoiled, Academy-attending brats.

The rest of us, if we were lucky, got a hand-me-down when mom & dad bought a new car. Or, saved some bucks and spent a few Gs on a clunker, then transformed it on our own with grease up to our elbows.

Today, parents buying new, or good condition used cars for their kids at 16/17/18, especially high-end "luxury" marquees, seems to be quite commonplace, and it causes congnitive dissonance for us old schoolers.
Old 05-06-2004, 12:14 PM
Officially Welcomed To The 'Fest!

Mein Auto: 2004 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKT BMR
No criticism of you, bud, from my POV I'm happy for you that you get to share in the Ultimate Driving Machine experience.

I think what irks some of those in your parents generation is just that time have changed considerably in this regard. When I was a youth, it was almost unheard of for parents to drop that kind of bank for a new car for their kid. It happened, but usually only among the richest, most spoiled, Academy-attending brats.

The rest of us, if we were lucky, got a hand-me-down when mom & dad bought a new car. Or, saved some bucks and spent a few Gs on a clunker, then transformed it on our own with grease up to our elbows.

Today, parents buying new, or good condition used cars for their kids at 16/17/18, especially high-end "luxury" marquees, seems to be quite commonplace, and it causes congnitive dissonance for us old schoolers.
I hear that. The first car I had was a 1980 Crown Victoria, and I had it in 1993. I lovingly called it the "Death Trap" My next car was a 1986 Grand Am that I bought with my own money. Only now that I have saved up can I get a car like a BMW.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKT BMR

My point exactly. My first car was a 1973 VW Bug, I bought it in 1980 for 1,300 bucks. I painted it Guards Red and that was the closest I ever came to a 911!! now, I grew up in Westchester County NY where we all lived in big houses and belonged to country clubs, but as kids with their first cars, we got the family clunker or as in my case a VERY cheap used car.

Like another poster said, if you are working your ass off to afford an M3, perhaps you are spending too much on your car. Do you own a house or property? what kind of savings do you have? I think most of you guys are missing the point. Just yesterday some little **** in an M3 (smg..*****) came into where I was eating lunch with his High School friends....HIGH SCHOOL!!! 333HP!! Wow, I must be old. I sound like my Dad. He was right!

2011 535i
2003 540i-6 M-tech SOLD
1964 MGB Roadster
1980 International Scout II 345 v-8

2004 M3 Alpine White SOLD 2/14/09 We were in love