Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 04-14-2013, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: 645 ci
Active Roll Stabilization Malfunction

I replaced the license plate bulb to get rid of the annoying gong on start up and ! on the dash. I turned the car on to make sure that the error message went away and was happy to see that it had. But wait, another icon flashes up -- the Red Car with double-sided arrow above it and exclamation point. I turn the car off. Wait. Turn it back on and it's gone. I drive home, about 10 minutes. When i turn the car off, there comes the Red Car/Double Arrow icon again.

I look it up, it's the Active Roll Stabilization Malfunction. Naturally, i come to the forum as i have in the past to get great advice. Only i can't seem to find anyone posting on this issue.

So was it just a quirk? Related to changing the license plate bulb? Or, is there really a problem?

It's a 2005 645ci with 115,000 with i've owned since 2009. Spent more $ on repairs than I'd like to share. The latest was a headlight control module. Thanks for any suggestions.
Ads by Google
Old 04-14-2013, 12:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
You might check your brake fluid level - I believe the ARS, brakes and steering all share the same fluid system.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 04-14-2013, 01:15 PM
BMW master tech

Mein Auto: e30 318
ARS doesn't share brake fluid circuit and don't mix them.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Bimmer App
Old 04-14-2013, 04:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregb View Post
You might check your brake fluid level - I believe the ARS, brakes and steering all share the same fluid system.
Close! Check the Power Steering fluid. It shares with the stabilization. Start with fluid level. One other culprit could be the ARS block failure, I had that one. Lastly, could be steering angle sensor, I had that one also (different time than ARS).
Old 04-14-2013, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2005 645Ci & 2007 750Li
Did you get a Dynamic Drive error? I am currently troubleshooting my problem. If you have disconnected the battery, the ARS must be recalibrated if the Dynamic Drive issues a warning. I was reading up on this last night in DIS, to schedule a test plan. I hope to get time tomorrow to try & do this. As Mark stated, low fluid can cause the Dynamic Drive to suspend its function. It will reset automatically after turning the car off. After x amount of counts, it will throw the error again. The funny thing is the system is temp sensitive! I hope to have more answers tomorrow, but until then?

Good Luck!
Old 04-14-2013, 08:04 PM

I got this error a couple of times during the winter. It accompanied an SES warning due to a rough idle on cold mornings. I figured it triggered from the engine vibrations.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:39 AM
D Woolley

Mein Auto: 05-645 / 14 435I
How do you re calibrate the ARS?
Old 04-15-2013, 05:51 PM

You would need to run DIS under the chassis mode, then set a test plan. It will then check all 4 wheels, & measure the system response. At that point if all sensors respond favorably, the system will reset. I was going to do this today, but I got sidetracked on my 750's AC system. I had to get some Freon, & top it off. I will try & do some screenshots to show the process, then post them. I am hoping that I can put this issue to rest after this!
Old 04-20-2013, 07:11 AM

Updates:

1. Yes, it did give the Dynamic Drive warming. It's done it once more when i turned on my car after sitting 9 hours in the parking lot at work. Turned the car off at a light and it went a way.
2. I check the fluid level and it's not low -- power steering (not brake).
3. About a week before this happened, i had to jump start my car. Had moved the car out of the driveway and went to move it back in 5 minutes later and it wouldn't start. A neighbor jump started it. Do you think that caused this to issue the warning even though i didn't disconnect the batter?
Thanks ya'll.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:35 AM

Until I do a few more test on my car, my problem is starting to look like a alternator/voltage regulator problem. I am getting high voltage spikes, causing terminal 30 to see high voltage. When this happens, my Dynamic Drive is seeing the high voltage, it then goes into failsafe mode. I am going to play with DIS some more today, to run a few more test on the electrical system.

When the engine starts hunting for idle speed, this is when my voltage spikes occur. They only occur when there is very little load on the alternator. If you are experiencing the same idling problems, it would be good for me to know.