Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 04-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 750LXi Individual
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrischeung View Post
Can you manually (I mean physically) push the mirrors out as an override.
Never tried; but this is a design flaw with serious consequences.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 ActiveHybrid 7 SWB
I would be very careful. I'm not sure you could win a lawsuit if you had an accident. I agree it's a flaw. But if you knowingly drive the car when you know there is an issue, there is negligence involved. I'm not a lawyer, but I could imagine an example. Say your wheel is loose because of a design flaw. You knowingly drive it. It comes off, hitting another car, causing death. BMW may shoulder some responsibility, but you likely would as well. A design flaw doesn't absolve you of all responsibility.

3/12 ED 7 - thread ID 610350
1/11 ED 6 - thread ID 5767556&postcount=175
4/10 ED 5 - thread ID 453501
5/08 ED 4 - thread ID 290679
3/07 ED 3 - thread ID 201013
3/06 ED 2 - thread ID 136454

Last edited by chrischeung; 04-15-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 08:30 PM

Quote:
I would be very careful.
Of course.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:33 AM

New battery being goodwilled jointly by BMW and dealer.

Any way to tell whether or not it's been replaced?

Last edited by dbs600; 05-09-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: '10 740Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbs600 View Post
New battery being goodwilled jointly by BMW and dealer.

Any way to tell whether or not it's truly been replaced?
You can try and see the build date; batch no etc. on the battery. It's accessed relatively easy. It's right under the trunk mat which is removed by releasing two plastic nuts on each side.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaranE View Post
You can try and see the build date; batch no etc. on the battery. It's accessed relatively easy. It's right under the trunk mat which is removed by releasing two plastic nuts on each side.
When free, can you please post a picture of the nuts you're referring to? Thanks!
Old 05-10-2013, 04:29 PM

here ya go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	375839   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	208.5 KB
ID:	375841   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	375842   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	375844  
Old 05-10-2013, 06:26 PM

Hmm. Thanks. Thought more of the lining had to come out. Guess not!
Old 05-10-2013, 06:28 PM

Nope very easy. I can even remove those two plastic nuts by hand without any tools.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:09 PM

I am again starting to experience the early signs of a battery problem; car does not recall the radio station I was last listening to, as itís on 87.7 FM when I start it up, not every time yet, but more and more so. Has BMW come up with a solution to its battery problems yet!? What gives!?
Old 11-14-2013, 03:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750LI Xdrive
What is the life of the battery? Buying a 2011 750LI Xdrive. The car is being prepared for me. Its a CPO vehicle.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 11' 750i, 14' Bentley GTC
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestbmwguy View Post
What is the life of the battery? Buying a 2011 750LI Xdrive. The car is being prepared for me. Its a CPO vehicle.
Battery life on most BMWs are awful. On my e92 m3 the battery lasted less than a year because I rarely drove my car during the winter. The more you drive your car the better the chances your battery will last. On my f01 I got a battery charger which I keep hooked up and it seems to be doing the trick so I would investment in one.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Fastpaddler

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW528i
Quote:
Potential solutions for BMW:

1. Add bigger batteries
2. Add integrated power cords
3. Remove electronic and electrical features from cars
4. Run more items off the engine than electric motors (like steering)
5. Have features draw less power (be more efficient)

Any others I'm mssing?
Dump regenerative braking.OK for my golf car batteries; improve alternator output which should charge up a battery to 90 percent in 10 minutes!!! LOL
Old 11-14-2013, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwestbmwguy View Post
You went for it!? Good luck, I suppose? Get ready for $500-700 every year or two for a battery. Ludacris!

Quote:
Originally Posted by f01driver View Post
Battery life on most BMWs are awful. On my e92 m3 the battery lasted less than a year because I rarely drove my car during the winter. The more you drive your car the better the chances your battery will last. On my f01 I got a battery charger which I keep hooked up and it seems to be doing the trick so I would investment in one.
Unacceptable; no excuse for a battery not lasting a solid 4+ years, advanced tech or not. BMW has become a joke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpaddler View Post
Dump regenerative braking.OK for my golf car batteries; improve alternator output which should charge up a battery to 90 percent in 10 minutes!!! LOL
I think you're right! It's the bs regenerative braking that's contributing to this problem, which is useless in and of itself.

Last edited by dbs600; 11-15-2013 at 12:14 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 750LIX M sport
was having trouble with mine (2011 with only 7,000 miles - not my daily driver). got the bmw trickle charger and it is easy to connect and has made a major difference. I was getting "battery discharge" failures - but, no more. as I have Dinan stage 2 I did not want to lose the battery as I think that erases things from the ECU. I think the charger was $70. I have similar unit from my 911, but decided to go with the BMW version (why risk it?). the beauty of the Porsche solution is it trickles through the cigarette lighter with one wire vs. BMW having to lift the bonnet and make 2 connections.

also, my understanding is that due to "efficient economics" our batteries only charge on braking and deceleration. so, driving 150 mph down I-95 does NOT help charge your battery. some redundant info, but I hope helpful.
Old 11-15-2013, 06:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 740Li
Is this battery discharge issue only occuring on the N63 (750i/Li) models. I have a 2011 740Li with the N54 and was curious as to whether this is a problem I should expect. I hope not, and frankly no BMW owner should expect to experience this level of battery problems.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:25 AM

BTW, this is what the BMW site says about the Regenerative Braking. I highlighted what I thought were the important points:

Make use of every watt: by charging the battery only when your BMW is braking, coasting or decelerating, Brake Energy Regeneration improves fuel efficiency by up to three percent and ensures that the full power of your engine is available for acceleration.

Today's vehicles require much more electrical energy than older models, due to the much wider array of electric and electronic on-board comfort and safety systems. This energy is created by the generator (also known as the alternator) which converts the engine's power output into electricity. In conventional systems, the generator is permanently driven by a belt connected to the engine.
BMW's Brake Energy Regeneration operates differently: the generator is activated only when you take your foot from the accelerator or apply the brake. The kinetic energy that would otherwise go to waste is now used efficiently, converted into electricity by the generator and stored in the battery.Producing electricity in this highly efficient way delivers an additional advantage: when you apply the accelerator, the generator is deactivated - so the full power of the engine can be directed to the drive wheels. Brake Energy Regeneration thus increases fuel efficiency while simultaneously enhancing driving dynamics. As a safety precaution, the Brake Energy Regeneration system monitors the level of battery charge and will, if necessary, continue to charge the battery even during acceleration to prevent a complete discharging of the battery.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:38 PM
Fastpaddler

[QUOTE=Missile;7958392]BTW, this is what the BMW site says about the Regenerative Braking. I highlighted what I thought were the important points:

Make use of every watt: by charging the battery only when your BMW is braking, coasting or decelerating, Brake Energy Regeneration improves fuel efficiency by up to three percent and ensures that the full power of your engine is available for acceleration.

Today's vehicles require much more electrical energy than older models, due to the much wider array of electric and electronic on-board comfort and safety systems. This energy is created by the generator (also known as the alternator) which converts the engine's power output into electricity. In conventional systems, the generator is permanently driven by a belt connected to the engine.
BMW's Brake Energy Regeneration operates differently: the generator is activated only when you take your foot from the accelerator or apply the brake. The kinetic energy that would otherwise go to waste is now used efficiently, converted into electricity by the generator and stored in the battery.Producing electricity in this highly efficient way delivers an additional advantage: when you apply the accelerator, the generator is deactivated - so the full power of the engine can be directed to the drive wheels. Brake Energy Regeneration thus increases fuel efficiency while simultaneously enhancing driving dynamics. As a safety precaution, the Brake Energy Regeneration system monitors the level of battery charge and will, if necessary, continue to charge the battery even during acceleration to prevent a complete discharging of the battery.[/QUOTE

Yes.Understand that. It would work very well with earlier BMWs without a plethora of electronic gadgetry sucking battery resources like a parasitic drain occurs with a dead short or other source pulling power. Since the battery is normally used mainly to start the engine and provide minimal charging to top up the battery, clearly either the alternator is not kicking in enough or the regenerative braking facility only works competently when you are driving in stop and start traffic and not out on the road with your right foot down. While the regen system monitors battery level DOES IT ensure the battery is maintained at peak level and not somewhere around 40 to 60 percent as acceptable. That was what mine showed after 3 hours of load testing:44 percent. Obviously, something is wrong with the application in the real world if this architecture is supposed to function to optimize the battery, I drive a lot, both short and longer distances and that should have kept the battery charged up,. It did not do so and seems to be a common failure. BMW is silent on the issue so far. I really wonder if it is due to battery drain while the car is parked and turned off and,someone suggested, the car is not locked so is using power while waiting for you to open the door and get in. I lock my car now, just in case.

Last edited by Fastpaddler; 11-15-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-16-2013, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpaddler View Post
I know you, yourself is upset too, but I'm not laughing. :|

Last edited by dbs600; 11-17-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:15 AM

Mein Auto: 740Li (F02)
as my car reached its 4th year, i started to have battery problems last september. bought a new battery and still had problems. i had a new alternator installed today and dealer wanted $1000, good thing Bmw Philippines made a goodwill warranty on my car
Old 11-18-2013, 09:55 AM

Fastpaddler, I included the description only to show how the system is supposed to work. It seems to me unnecessarily overly complex, but who am I, certainly not a German engineer. They've created this regenerative braking and a freewheeling alternator, except when needed, to save some parasitic drag on the engine? I don't know how much engine power is robbed by the alternator (even a big one required to support the high number of electronic gadgets included on these cars) but it doesn't seem to be worth it, especially if people are having issues with what are very expensive vehicles.

I'm kind of hoping this is an issue reserved for the 750 and doesn't affect the the 740, but logic tells me the systems would be the same on both vehicles. Only time will tell.

Last edited by Missile; 11-18-2013 at 11:23 AM. Reason: fixed typo
Old 11-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Happy as a snapping clam

Mein Auto: 06 750Li
Big defect, simple solution?

Can BMW be so clueless??

It is hard to believe. The solution seems simple: the alternator should always be on when the battery charge level is < x.

My guess is that x should be between 85-95%, but determining the correct level is BMW's problem.

If this is not a simple fix, then there is a serious design problem with their software.

My 2006 750Li battery was trouble free for 6 yrs, despite light use. Now we drive it for at least 25 mi. one day per week. No trickle charging used.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750LI Xdrive
Picking up a CPO 2011 750LI on Tuesday. What should I look for on the battery ?
Old 11-18-2013, 07:26 PM
Fastpaddler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missile View Post
Fastpaddler, I included the description only to show how the system is supposed to work. It seems to me unnecessarily overly complex, but who am I, certainly not a German engineer. They've created this regenerative braking and a freewheeling alternator, except when needed, to save some parasitic drag on the engine? I don't know how much engine power is robbed by the alternator (even a big one required to support the high number of electronic gadgets included on these cars) but it doesn't seem to be worth it, especially if people are having issues with what are very expensive vehicles.

I'm kind of hoping this is an issue reserved for the 750 and doesn't affect the the 740, but logic tells me the systems would be the same on both vehicles. Only time will tell.

Any BMW with the regenerative feature may suffer a shorter battery life. Lead Acid batteries with heavy discharging do NOT usually enjoy long lives. Deep cycle batteries suffer deep discharges more readily with fewer consequences. As my battery was showing 44 percent after sustained loading/testing it was obviously not being charged fully and therefore I received intermittent but infrequent "low battery' warnings and other complaints from the OBS. I have a long history in electronics/engineering and the nature of batteries was the 'Battery 101 course after "Basic electronics Course One"'.
Cheers

Al

Last edited by Fastpaddler; 11-18-2013 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:10 AM

Agreed, and my question is what is the gain? More gadgetry, and little less parasitic drag on the engine, possibly membership in the eco club or something because we are recycling lost braking energy? Just doesn't seem to be worth it but I also don't have all the details or knowledge around this system either. I guess they just need to fix it.