Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-16-2013, 06:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 540i BMW
Please Please, need help. I dont know what else to check

Hello, I am having issue after issue with my 2001 540I. A few months ago, I went through the car wash then it died on me and a message came on that said, engine fail safe prog. The car would start but turn off right away. After checking it with an OBD2 reader it gave me throttle body P Codes. I was convinced it was the throttle body so I bought a new one from the dealer. When I installed the new throttle body it still did not work and it still gave me the engine fail safe prog. I check the codes again and this time, it gave me a camshaft position sensor bank 1. So I switched the sensors to see if it would give me an error on the other side. When I tried to start the car, it would just crank and crank but never turned on like before. I check the codes again and it gave me 15 codes but it also gave me camshaft position sensor bank 2. So I bought the sensor and put it on. When I got into my car to start it up, it does not do anything and my temp gauge is on the hot position and my battery and oil light are on. I then checked the codes again but this time there is no connection. It is telling me Not Connected to ECU. What is going on? Can anyone give me some advise as what to check. My last resort is take it to a shop
I don't know what else to check.
Ads by Google
Old 04-16-2013, 06:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
What is the overnight battery voltage? How high does the voltage go after the engine is started?

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:58 PM

well the battery did die on me because I kept cranking it but I just got it recharged and it is not doing anything. I still am getting the engine fail safe prog oh and I got a new on Trans fail safe prog and I have not even taken it out for over two months.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:35 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gootz4u View Post
Hello, I am having issue after issue with my 2001 540I. A few months ago, I went through the car wash then it died on me and a message came on that said, engine fail safe prog. The car would start but turn off right away. After checking it with an OBD2 reader it gave me throttle body P Codes. I was convinced it was the throttle body so I bought a new one from the dealer. When I installed the new throttle body it still did not work and it still gave me the engine fail safe prog. I check the codes again and this time, it gave me a camshaft position sensor bank 1. So I switched the sensors to see if it would give me an error on the other side. When I tried to start the car, it would just crank and crank but never turned on like before. I check the codes again and it gave me 15 codes but it also gave me camshaft position sensor bank 2. So I bought the sensor and put it on. When I got into my car to start it up, it does not do anything and my temp gauge is on the hot position and my battery and oil light are on. I then checked the codes again but this time there is no connection. It is telling me Not Connected to ECU. What is going on? Can anyone give me some advise as what to check. My last resort is take it to a shop
I don't know what else to check.
I had a bit similiar issues with my 540. Check your DME conenctions at the engine bay electronic box. It's located under the passenger side cabin air filter. I had an corrosion issue there that caused no start & temp gauge to go to hot when I turned ignition on.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:01 PM

Thanks HTK12, I will check it out but I really don't know what I am looking for. There are a lot of wires.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Thanks HTK12, I will check it out but I really don't know what I am looking for. There are a lot of wires.
Disconnect the battery first. Then remove all DME connectors and inspect the pins for corrosion.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:17 PM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
Disconnect battery first. Then go through all the connections, disconnect, and reconnect, inspecting for corrosion. There have been pictures and reports of people getting water or coolant in there, and causing all sorts of problems. Anything looks bad, clean it up, the best you can with electrical contact cleaner and a nylon toothbrush...flush with more contact cleaner, then canned air.

AND, if there is water intrusion, figure out how it got in there, and how to prevent it in the future. I think sometimes the previous tech forgot to seal things up properly....
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 04-17-2013, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 540 M-Sport View Post
Disconnect battery first. Then go through all the connections, disconnect, and reconnect, inspecting for corrosion. There have been pictures and reports of people getting water or coolant in there, and causing all sorts of problems. Anything looks bad, clean it up, the best you can with electrical contact cleaner and a nylon toothbrush...flush with more contact cleaner, then canned air.

AND, if there is water intrusion, figure out how it got in there, and how to prevent it in the future. I think sometimes the previous tech forgot to seal things up properly....
In M62tu you get coolant due to MAP cooled thermostat being bad. When the sealing in it gives out the coolant is forced by the cooling system pressure, via the wiring to on top of DME.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i,89 Por 930,Vett
Where to start, like many stated DME... But the first connection to look is the thermostat connector.... there is only one on there (at the thermostat). If it is wet then go to the DME. Post back.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:38 PM

You know HTK12 I did see something similar so I check out the ECU but I saw all the wires and stopped because I did not want to miss things up but I will check it out asap and look for the things you mentioned. It is really weird that all this is happening to my car. The thing that confuses me most is that my scan tool was working well and then it stopped and there is no crank or start to my car. Thanks for the reply, I will take some pics.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:40 PM

Thank you 540 M Sport, I will check it out asap. I would do it now but it started raining.
Old 04-17-2013, 04:55 PM

Mein Auto: 97 528I
You didn't by chance start your car with scanner connected? I've heard that can cause all sorts of electrical issues. Always disconnect scanner first.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggyd357 View Post
You didn't by chance start your car with scanner connected? I've heard that can cause all sorts of electrical issues. Always disconnect scanner first.
I've started plenty of cars with scanners hooked up and never had any issues. I really don't see how the scanner could damage the car, however the car could damage the scanner with a voltage spike during startup.
Old 04-18-2013, 04:30 AM

Mein Auto: 97 528I
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTK12 View Post
I've started plenty of cars with scanners hooked up and never had any issues. I really don't see how the scanner could damage the car, however the car could damage the scanner with a voltage spike during startup.
Gotcha... just one of those random things I've heard before somewhere from someone.... And you just never know with a BMW electrical system lol, but thanks for the clarity on that

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Bimmer App
Old 04-18-2013, 02:30 PM

Thanks guys for your help. The scanner I was using was the new Bluetooth with the torque app. It was working really good but now I get the message can not connect to ECU. Hum......

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Bimmer App
Old 04-18-2013, 02:48 PM

Maybe it's just the bluetooth module that is not working anymore? Have you checked the fuses?
Old 04-18-2013, 05:01 PM

Hello HTK12, well I took a glance at the fuses where the glove box is at and at the ones in the trunk. I did see, however, a link somewhere that there are more fuses under the carpet on the passenger side. Is that true? are there more fuses?
Old 04-19-2013, 02:41 AM

Did you remove and check that all fuses relating to diagnostic port are good? Have you yet checked the DME connections for corrosion? There are also few fuses in the DME box. Yes there are fuses under the carpet.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:17 AM

Ok guys, here is an update. Under the cabin air filter I found two 30 fuses that were blown I replaced them and I am back to my first issue which is engine fail safe program and the codes are P0120, P0123, P0223, P0103, because I had these codes at the beginning, I replaced the Throttle Body and it still wont work. I did try something else just to check. I disconnect the fuel line where the fuel rail is and placed a small container to see if gas was coming and when I turn the key. When I turned the key, no gas came out. There is no gas going to the fuel rail. Hum..... Fuel Pump?
Old 04-21-2013, 07:47 AM

Here are some pics of the fuses I found.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0694.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	372458   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0692.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	372459  
Old 04-21-2013, 09:12 AM

Mein Auto: Z4M Coupe, 540i,Silverado
Before...

Quote:
Ok guys, here is an update. Under the cabin air filter I found two 30 fuses that were blown I replaced them and I am back to my first issue which is engine fail safe program and the codes are P0120, P0123, P0223, P0103, because I had these codes at the beginning, I replaced the Throttle Body and it still wont work. I did try something else just to check. I disconnect the fuel line where the fuel rail is and placed a small container to see if gas was coming and when I turn the key. When I turned the key, no gas came out. There is no gas going to the fuel rail. Hum..... Fuel Pump?
I'd check the fuel pump I'd most likely pull the line off going into the fuel filter...turn the key to the 'run' position and fuel should spill out of that (could be clogged filter), If you have no fuel going into the fuel filter then I'd verify the fuel pump relay and fuses first then if you have nothing there then I'd check voltage at the fuel pump with the key on if that is ok then yep fuel pump...Good Luck

Easy stuff first ALWAYS
Old 04-21-2013, 09:32 AM

Thank You GSXRYDER, I will check the lines before the filter.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:48 AM

You need to figure out why those two fuses blew. It's not common and blown fuses mean there is issue(s).
Old 04-23-2013, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i,89 Por 930,Vett
update?
Old 04-23-2013, 06:31 PM

Hello Bennt771, ok here is the latest. First Thank you for asking I disconnected the lines pre to the fuel filter and still no gas comes out. So I started to search about the fuel pump and how to check it. Yesterday, I took the back seat out (and found some change ) and was a little confused because there were wires on both sides of the seat and I was starting to think there were two fuel pumps but no the pump is on the passenger side. I took the fuel relay out and inserted a jumper wire and the pump came on but only stayed on for about five seconds. Then I did it again and the same thing so I started a new thread about this which edjack replied and said it could be a failing pump and to check it with a pressure gauge. So tomorrow I plan to get a pressure gauge and see what happens. with work,school and wife/kid, I try to work on it as much as I can. If you have any ideas for me, I would really appreciate it. I don't want to buy another expensive part to find out I didn't need it. Thank again.