Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)

E28 (1982 - 1988)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-30-2012, 12:48 PM
skinchin13 skinchin13 is offline
SittinRock
Location: Landrum, South Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 61
Mein Auto: 1996 BMW 750il
New to e28s need help with starting issue

Hey everyone i am new to the e28s. I just bought an 1988 bmw 535is 5-speed about 3 days ago. The guy told me it had not been started since may when i bought it. It made the 2 hour journey from georgia back home. Well then i decided to change the oil and spark plugs and flush the coolant. Got all done and the car cranked over and died about 5 seconds later. So i rechecked all the spark plugs and went and bought a new wireset. Still did the same thing. So then i put a new fuel filter in it, and sprayed starting fluid in the intake. It fires up and runs but once you try to rev it the car bogs and stalls. I also tried changing out the relay for the fuel pump but that didnt help. So im guessing its either the fuel pump or injectors. But i dont know much about these cars so i need help. Also does anyone know a website i can get diagrams from, and diys.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 08-30-2012, 02:24 PM
catso's Avatar
catso catso is offline
catso
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,984
Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinchin13 View Post
Hey everyone i am new to the e28s. I just bought an 1988 bmw 535is 5-speed about 3 days ago. The guy told me it had not been started since may when i bought it. It made the 2 hour journey from georgia back home. Well then i decided to change the oil and spark plugs and flush the coolant. Got all done and the car cranked over and died about 5 seconds later. So i rechecked all the spark plugs and went and bought a new wireset. Still did the same thing. So then i put a new fuel filter in it, and sprayed starting fluid in the intake. It fires up and runs but once you try to rev it the car bogs and stalls. I also tried changing out the relay for the fuel pump but that didnt help. So im guessing its either the fuel pump or injectors. But i dont know much about these cars so i need help. Also does anyone know a website i can get diagrams from, and diys.
Your best bet is to buy the Bentley 5-Series E28 service manual. You can find used ones on Ebay, Amazon, etc.
__________________
Don't be gormless; get some gorm!
![/I][/FONT]
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-30-2012, 06:24 PM
south26 south26 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dayton, OH
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 821
Mein Auto: 535i 1989
you might have clogged up the fuel injectors with crappy gas that had been sitting in the gas tank. You can use mustang injectors in the 535i. You would have to look on mye28.com for the years. They are the same but cost a lot less.


Andy
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-02-2012, 11:16 PM
skinchin13 skinchin13 is offline
SittinRock
Location: Landrum, South Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 61
Mein Auto: 1996 BMW 750il
Alright i will check around for some injectors after i do a pressure test
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-07-2012, 06:42 PM
skinchin13 skinchin13 is offline
SittinRock
Location: Landrum, South Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 61
Mein Auto: 1996 BMW 750il
Would it still be the injectors if it runs and drives but if you beat on it just alittle bit it dies and the next day you can start it just fine. I got some junk yard injectors but i dont think they were to good. So i ordered some mustang ones off ebay(havent arrived yet). Also the car just got new fuel pumps and filter figured i would replace those too.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-08-2012, 06:09 AM
south26 south26 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Dayton, OH
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 821
Mein Auto: 535i 1989
You can see if any of the injectors are clogged by getting the car running. Then start with the number 1 spark plug and pull it. If the idle changes the injector is doing something. If the idle does not change then the injector is clogged. Put the wire back on and do this for all 6. Make sure to wite down the number so that you remember. I had this problem with a 528e that ran like crap and had no power. It turned out 3 out of the 6 injectors were clogged. It ran much better with 3 other injectors.


Andy
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-13-2012, 12:04 AM
BMWFatherFigure's Avatar
BMWFatherFigure BMWFatherFigure is offline
Old School
Location: Perth, Western Australia
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 2,696
Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
Take the injectors to a shop with a cleaning and test rig. Then you can be sure exactly what is wrong/right. Flush the fule lines and fuel rail while the injectors are out. Check the fuel filter again and do the pressure test.
__________________
Good - Fast - Cheap: Pick any two.
Current:
E23 735i; E32 735iL (X 2 - 1 Alpine White and 1 Glacier Blue); E34 535i; E38 735iL; R50 Cooper; R55 Cooper Clubman.
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-16-2012, 11:36 PM
skinchin13 skinchin13 is offline
SittinRock
Location: Landrum, South Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 61
Mein Auto: 1996 BMW 750il
Well i drained the fuel lines and fuel rail and put the new injectors in and it drives fine as long as the revs stay below 3500 rpm. then after that the car just dies still. Could it be my plug wires since i didnt go oem i went with the cheap ones $80.00 but the spark plugs are bosch platinum 4 prongs. And the car has no exhaust either so maybe its not getting enough back pressure at higher rpms. And all the other parts i put on are oem. Im just getting sick of messing with it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-17-2012, 07:34 AM
catso's Avatar
catso catso is offline
catso
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,984
Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinchin13 View Post
Well i drained the fuel lines and fuel rail and put the new injectors in and it drives fine as long as the revs stay below 3500 rpm. then after that the car just dies still. Could it be my plug wires since i didnt go oem i went with the cheap ones $80.00 but the spark plugs are bosch platinum 4 prongs. And the car has no exhaust either so maybe its not getting enough back pressure at higher rpms. And all the other parts i put on are oem. Im just getting sick of messing with it.
The Bosch 4 prongs may be a bad idea, stick with the plugs BMW recommends and put the exhaust system back on and see what you get.
__________________
Don't be gormless; get some gorm!
![/I][/FONT]
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-17-2012, 05:48 PM
skinchin13 skinchin13 is offline
SittinRock
Location: Landrum, South Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 61
Mein Auto: 1996 BMW 750il
Alright well i pulled the spark plugs out that i got(bosch) turns out that the #6 plug wasnt firing. So i checked the wires and the ones i bought from oreilly were peices of ****. I put the old wire set back on and she runs fine with those bosch plugs. Oh and i will try upload a video of the exhaust i put on this week if it turns out good. y-pipe converted to single 3in and straight back to a vibrant muffler with a 4 in tip. Thats the plan..
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-17-2012, 09:34 PM
catso's Avatar
catso catso is offline
catso
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,984
Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinchin13 View Post
Alright well i pulled the spark plugs out that i got(bosch) turns out that the #6 plug wasnt firing. So i checked the wires and the ones i bought from oreilly were peices of ****. I put the old wire set back on and she runs fine with those bosch plugs. Oh and i will try upload a video of the exhaust i put on this week if it turns out good. y-pipe converted to single 3in and straight back to a vibrant muffler with a 4 in tip. Thats the plan..
OEM is always the best choice for BMW parts. Stay away chain auto parts stores cause it will only make the problem worse. There are alot of parts vendors that are Bimmerfest sponsors and most will give you a very good deal on quality parts.
__________________
Don't be gormless; get some gorm!
![/I][/FONT]
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-18-2012, 10:22 AM
skinchin13 skinchin13 is offline
SittinRock
Location: Landrum, South Carolina
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 61
Mein Auto: 1996 BMW 750il
Can you give me a list of sites please. and also what do you think of the bav auto wireset??
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-18-2012, 11:42 AM
catso's Avatar
catso catso is offline
catso
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2,984
Mein Auto: 2000 323i, 1988 528e
Try this search engine: http://furiousmethod.com/ There's more than just the sponsors here but if you put in a part number you'll get lots of buying choices. And remember that you can always look up the part number you need on: www.RealOEM.com
__________________
Don't be gormless; get some gorm!
![/I][/FONT]
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-17-2013, 09:10 AM
BMW717 BMW717 is offline
Jonathan Houtz
Location: Ephrata PA
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1
Mein Auto: E-30
Their could be water in the gas tank- or vegtible oil, my friend had the same problem...he just got a new spark plugs
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E28 (1982 - 1988)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms