Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)

X6 E71 / E72 (2008 - current)
The newest sport activity vehicle from BMW is a crossover-coupe style and is expected to appear sometime in 2008!

Old 04-08-2013, 10:04 PM

Mein Auto: x6
Arrow Just bought an X6! ...and have a couple of questions

Hello! I am the proud new owner of a 2011 X6 XDrive50i with 25k miles on it. I love it, but have a few questions that I can't seem to find the answers to, and I'm hoping you experts here might be able to help with.

1) The visor lights stay on whenever the car is running regardless of visor or mirror door position. Is this normal? The visor hook seems to have two terminals built in and the post attached to the visor, a metal contact that looks to short them out when flipped down.

2) On the drive home, my wife noticed that the driver's side headlight was getting brighter at times. I thought it might be the active headlights, but it's not. I can't seem to correlate it to turning the wheel (while doing about 45mph) or slowing down or braking. Is this always the ballast or are there other common problems with it?

3) I understand that I should be able to clock 0-60 in about 5.3s. How would I achieve this? I've tested and could only pull off ~6.3s. Is there a launch control for the non-M version? My Method was to switch to sport, foot off the brake and mash the throttle. Maybe traction control is playing a part here?

4) Is there a way to add a 5th seat and belt? I see some offering the seat, but the belt is imperative for safety.

Thanks again!
Ads by Google
Old 04-09-2013, 09:00 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 x6 50i
Only part I have input on is the 4th point -- I have a 3rd rear seat as a factory option -- not sure how or if it can be installed aftermarket.

Headlights getting brighter might be there up-and-down adjustment? Mine do this anyway, not sure about prior models.

good luck.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: '11 X6 50i; '05 X5 4.4
No launch control on standard 50i... You should turn off DSC/TractionControl and go manual... how are you timing? You should have passenger w/GPS speedo and stopwatch
Old 04-09-2013, 10:18 PM

Thanks for the helpful replies Dingular and Rob.

For lack of a better idea, I've been timing 0-60 using the Android app "adyno". I trap the phone in the cupholder using the sliding door (which actually keeps it pretty secure). The app auto starts and stops using the accelerometer. My thought is that the GPS polling may be too slow to get an accurate speed reading, therefore, determining that my 0-60 is longer than it should be.
You really think i should be manually shifting? I have no quams with that, I just figured that BMW would have optimized the shift points if I was in "Sport".
I'm thinking of using a stopwatch next time. My goal with this is to validate that there is nothing wrong with the engine. A little goofy, I know, but I also kinda want to see this new ~6200lb car do it

As far as the 3rd rear seat goes, I do have some time as my children are still in car seats and no one could fit between them anyhow (no, not testing 0-60 with them in the car. haha). Its more for when they're a bit older and I need to fit the occasional friend/cousin of theirs.

I am most worried about the visor light as I have occasionally gotten the "high battery discharge" warning. I'm thinking the visor light may be contributing. Neither of you have noticed that they stay on with the ignition? I find it a bit odd and am worried that there might be something wrong with the wiring up there...

Thanks again!
Old 04-12-2013, 03:03 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X6 35i
My 2012 has the visor cover that slides to close and shut off the light. I love that your approach to validating nothing wrong with the engine. Keep testing and have fun!
Old 04-15-2013, 09:24 PM

Thanks Jim. I had a feeling something was off. I'm going to poke around a little bit, but will definitely have the dealer take a look as it's still under warranty.

I'll report back to let others with the same problem know what it is, as I can't find any other forums talking about it at all.

Thanks again!

Last edited by aaaaaaaa; 04-15-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:56 AM
2 Bimmers R better than 1

Mein Auto: 12 MSPT 535 & MSPT X5 5.0
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaaaaaaa View Post
Thanks Jim. I had a feeling something was off. I'm going to poke around a little bit, but will definitely have the dealer take a look as it's still under warranty.

I'll report back to let others with the same problem know what it is, as I can't find any other forums talking about it at all.

Thanks again!
Congrats on the purchase
Wondering why u didn't pick up a Cpo w 3 rear seats. There pretty common?
From my experience anyway!
Although I do know they produced less with 3 seats in 11 compared to 12 and 13 because demand is higher and they realize that a 3 seat won't prevent someone from buying a car but lack of one might.
Cheers
Rob

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 04-17-2013, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
Congrats on the purchase
Wondering why u didn't pick up a Cpo w 3 rear seats. There pretty common?
From my experience anyway!
Although I do know they produced less with 3 seats in 11 compared to 12 and 13 because demand is higher and they realize that a 3 seat won't prevent someone from buying a car but lack of one might.
Cheers
Rob
Hi Rob,

I was mainly looking at the 2011's due to price + newer iDrive system. I also wanted the adaptive cruise control, but I was told that finding a 2011 x6 in the interior/exterior color combination I want with all the features + adaptive cruise would be like finding a needle in a haystack (and I sort of agree with him, I've been looking for months).

I'm not usually one to settle & if I wanted to buy new, it would be no problem. But the car I found comes *real* close, and extra ~$35k was not worth it for the 5th seat and adaptive cruise I figured that I could just buy this car and add the 5th seat, all while looking for another with all the options, colors and other stuff I want.

Since it's more common on the 2012's, it looks like I'll be mainly looking at those during my search (thanks for the great information!).

I don't regret, at all, getting this one in the mean time... I LOVE IT & It is a blast to drive!!!

Thanks again!

Last edited by aaaaaaaa; 04-17-2013 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:09 PM

Arrow

Quote:

Thanks again!
Okay, got my car back from the dealer a couple days ago:
The visor mirror power was shorted in the headliner. Mirrors now only work when they are flipped down with the mirror door open. No charge! Must have been that way from the factory.

I don't like the diagnosis of the dead battery. They basically told me I don't drive it right. Hmm. They charged the battery for me and gave it back... I got the warning again today. Not happy with this resolution.

Last edited by aaaaaaaa; 04-24-2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:20 PM

aaaaaa: did u ever get a service history on this car from a BMW service advisor?
That might tell I if there was any issues previous!
Sorry ur having these issues
Rob

2012 Msport X5 +Prem Sound+Cold Weather+Top/Side Cameras+Soft Close Doors+BMW Apps
Old 04-24-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5seriesHB View Post
aaaaaa: did u ever get a service history on this car from a BMW service advisor?
That might tell I if there was any issues previous!
Sorry ur having these issues
Rob
Hi Rob,

Not from the dealer, but the carfax had a service history. I assume the history from the dealer would be more verbose. Maybe ill swing by and ask for a copy. Is there any other way to get the history?

Thanks!

Last edited by aaaaaaaa; 04-24-2013 at 09:26 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:31 PM

Question

Quote:
Hi Rob,

Not from the dealer, but the carfax had a service history. I assume the history from the dealer would be more verbose. Maybe ill swing by and ask for a copy. Is there any other way to get the history?

Thanks!
Yes
Just very nicely ask the service advisor
Let them know you don't need any of the previous owners personal info
Just service history
It's a 50/50 shot they
Usually the sales guys give them when asked before a transaction!
Be sweet and don't set off any alarms in the advisors head as to why u need it.
Maybe tell them u had someone interested in purchasing the vehicle from you and they requiring a service history since original sale date
That should work
Let us know.