Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-11-2013, 03:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E53 N62; E90 N52
Misfire Cylinder 5

Background 2004 X5 N62

Im getting a P0305 SES light after about 2 minutes, after cold start up. For the first 2 minutes, I can rev it up and it acts fine.

Cylinder 5 (P0305) is misfiring. (driverside front-most)

So far I have changed the spark plug and flipped coils and it still occurs (cylinder 5)

I disconnected the Valvetronic motor (can on top of the vc) and low and behold the misfires stop, but the engine goes into safemode, and throws a code, P1062 - eccentric shaft not reaching limits... (this is expected, and cleared)

What could be the top issues?

I know it is not the fuel injector, and not the spark plug or the coil pack... its not the valvetronic motor....

I have a couple of hunches, but I want to hear what everyone says. (The valve cover gasket was just replaced too, prior to this i had no issues)

(Its not a head gasket, I'm not loosing any fluid)

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by Rahulk; 04-11-2013 at 04:30 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 04-11-2013, 08:34 PM

Mein Auto: BMW, Lotus, Porsche
How many miles do you have on the X? Could be worn levers, but that's more of a problem in colder climates.
Old 04-12-2013, 05:53 AM

It could only really be a few things....

Vanos solenoids, or fallen rocker arm
Old 04-12-2013, 07:46 PM

How do you know it's not the fuel Injector. You eliminated the coil and spark plug by replacing them, but did you replace the injector? If the computer detect that you have a misfire, it will shut down the injector so that raw fuel does not get dump into the cat converter and damage them.
Old 04-13-2013, 10:34 AM

When I unplugged the valvetronic motor it didn't misfire at all. It put the engine in limp mode. So that shows the fuel injector and the ignition system are working fine... Unplugging the valvetronic default the car into max valve lift each time.

If it was an injector, it would have continued to misfire, as valve timing would not effect it...

(I also just replaced all the valve stem seals... So that's why I'm pointing to a fallen rocker arm... Although I'm having a tough time thinking that... Im sure I check them and double checked them... It most likely be one on the intake side....
Old 04-15-2013, 05:31 PM

See if you have any pending codes. I had a misfire in my X once due to a vacuum leak, but the misfire was so imperceptible that I couldn't feel it until the computer shut down the injector to the cylinder that was misfiring. Once it shut down I could feel the misfire since the cylinder wasn't getting any gas. Shutting down the engine basically reboots the computer. It will count the number of misfire in a cylinder and once it reach a certain number it will shut down the injector to prevent the CAT converter from being damage.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:51 PM

A vacuum leak would cause random misfires though, not the same cylinder each time....

There aren't to many spots for a vacuum leak to occur, I have the updated hoses and new ccv's... There are 2 hoses that a beat... One is the one right by the intake small thin one and then there is one right by the gas line to the injector rail... I'll change both of them out I guess....

I did just remove the cams shafts and the timing chain sprockets to the cams.....

I'm just surprised I'm not getting another code like running to rich or running to lean...
Old 04-15-2013, 07:05 PM

That wasn't the point of my example. My point is that you could have a misfire that is barely perceptible to you, but it is perceptible to the computer, and once the computer has identified that you have a misfire, it will shut down the injector(s) to prevent damage to the CAT. That is why after 2 minutes of running you have a P0305 code because the computer had shut down the injector to prevent damage to the cat.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulk View Post
Background 2004 X5 N62

Im getting a P0305 SES light after about 2 minutes, after cold start up. For the first 2 minutes, I can rev it up and it acts fine.

Cylinder 5 (P0305) is misfiring. (driverside front-most)

So far I have changed the spark plug and flipped coils and it still occurs (cylinder 5)

I disconnected the Valvetronic motor (can on top of the vc) and low and behold the misfires stop, but the engine goes into safemode, and throws a code, P1062 - eccentric shaft not reaching limits... (this is expected, and cleared)

What could be the top issues?

I know it is not the fuel injector, and not the spark plug or the coil pack... its not the valvetronic motor....

I have a couple of hunches, but I want to hear what everyone says. (The valve cover gasket was just replaced too, prior to this i had no issues)

(Its not a head gasket, I'm not loosing any fluid)

Thanks in advance!

See the entire video.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:23 PM

I opened up the valve cover and one of the intermediate levers for the eccentric shaft had fallen off... Ugh.... I must have knocked it when I put the assembly back on...
Old 04-17-2013, 05:28 PM

I left out that I took the plunge and changed the stem seals... Kief's the man. His pictures and help helped big time! I can confirm it is possible to do the X5 with out removing the heads....

Guess I need to be careful when putting the intake camshaft assembly back in...

Freak issue I guess, luck it was the front most lever... Kinda of easy to get too...

I'm way to familiar with the N62 engine!