Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-16-2013, 05:38 AM
crazy4trains crazy4trains is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Milton, WV
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 509
Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
Vanos seals from Bavarian Auto vs. Beisan

I'm gearing up to replace my valve cover gasket. While i'm in there I also plan to replace the Vanos seals. I notice that Bavarian Auto carries vanos seals for about the same price as Beisan. Does anybody know if the seals from both places are from the same manufacturer? I will be ordering a few other items from Bavarian anyway (not VCG related) and can save a few coins on shipping.
__________________
2002 530i
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 04-16-2013, 05:44 AM
JKRIT JKRIT is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Hollis, NH
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 483
Mein Auto: '03 525i
I would give the business to Beisan because he was the one who did the technical investigation to determine the cause (BMW selected incorrect type of rubber for the o-rings; Not compatible with motor oil!!) and then had new teflon seals cut to his specifications to go with the correct rubber o-rings so that all of us could benefit. BMW still sells replacement vanos units with the incorrect rubber o-rings!
__________________
'03 525i Sapphire Blu/Grey, SP, Nav
'03 530i Sterling Gray/Blk, SP
'02 325it Orient Blu/Grey, SP, Nav
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blu/Grey
'95 M3 Cosmos Blk/Blk
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-16-2013, 06:11 AM
tmvE39/E53/Z32's Avatar
tmvE39/E53/Z32 tmvE39/E53/Z32 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Seattle --> Atlanta
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1,883
Mein Auto: 03 540, 06 E53 4.8, Z32TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRIT View Post
I would give the business to Beisan because he was the one who did the technical investigation to determine the cause (BMW selected incorrect type of rubber for the o-rings; Not compatible with motor oil!!) and then had new teflon seals cut to his specifications to go with the correct rubber o-rings so that all of us could benefit. BMW still sells replacement vanos units with the incorrect rubber o-rings!
2nd this. Beisan System deserves the support.
__________________

FS 2001 ///M5
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=791509
2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's DD), 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy ride)

Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32TwinTurbo
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-16-2013, 06:12 AM
DHoang's Avatar
DHoang DHoang is offline
Gearhead
Location: Austin, Texas
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 985
Mein Auto: '98 528i, '82 323i
i'd bet anything that bavarian is buying its seal from beisan.
__________________
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4132&pictureid=24642
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-16-2013, 07:28 AM
Fudman's Avatar
Fudman Fudman is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sudbury, MA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,226
Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
+1, I would agree that Raj is selling his seals to BavAuto because they want to be a full service BMW parts house. Raj takes a hit on his profit margins but makes some of it up by increasing his volume. Given that Raj sells them for $60, BavAuto cannot charge more. So to us, the consumer, price is a wash. But Raj is da MAN! He developed these seals, he supports their installation and he continues to develop and add new products. He should be encouraged and supported. The best way to do that is to give the maximum profit margin to him directly. So BUY DIRECT FROM BEISAN!!!! ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES (just in case they are different)! No offense, BavAuto. I buy stuff from you and that won't change. However, in this specific case, it is Beisan all the way!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-16-2013, 07:45 AM
sfoda764 sfoda764 is offline
Registered User
Location: GA
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Vanos repair

Fudman,
Agree with support of Raj! Just ordered my seals from him and DISA rebuild kit from GAS. Props to both of these efforts to correct these BMW flaws.

Any advice before I tackle both of these jobs on my 2001 530ia w/165K?

Thanks,
Rick
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-16-2013, 08:47 AM
Fudman's Avatar
Fudman Fudman is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sudbury, MA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,226
Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoda764 View Post
Fudman,
Agree with support of Raj! Just ordered my seals from him and DISA rebuild kit from GAS. Props to both of these efforts to correct these BMW flaws.

Any advice before I tackle both of these jobs on my 2001 530ia w/165K?

Thanks,
Rick
1. Put the Beisan DIY in the bathroom and read it every time you do your thing. Read it end to end, a minimum five times before starting this job. Highlight any unusual steps, like reverse thread.
2. Make sure you have the 32mm and clutch holder for removing the fan clutch. It is worth the added cost as sometimes belt friction is not enough.
3. Put some anti-seize on the fan clutch threads before reassembly. It makes removal of it easier the next time.
4. Have a wobble or universal joint. Accessing the valve cover bolt near the firewall is tight.
5. Have some spare vacuum tubing for the SAP valve. This tends to cracke when moved.
6. Have every tool identified in the DIY available.
7. Follow the DIY explicitly. This should take a little under 6 hours moving slowly and methodically.

You will LOVE how this improves your engine response!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-16-2013, 08:57 AM
sfoda764 sfoda764 is offline
Registered User
Location: GA
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 10
Mein Auto: 2001 530i
To Fudman

Roger all and thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-16-2013, 09:02 AM
edjack edjack is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: San Jose, CA
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 9,243
Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
... and the number 1 reason to buy from Beisan: he supports their installation.
__________________


Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-16-2013, 09:33 AM
Fudman's Avatar
Fudman Fudman is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sudbury, MA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,226
Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
... and the number 1 reason to buy from Beisan: he supports their installation.
This cannot be understated. If you review the Beisan forum, you will see numerous times where people hit a glitch or problem. They call Raj and the problem is solved. Raj is essentially available 24/7 with support. This is nothing short of extraordinary. Now THAT is customer service!!!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-16-2013, 11:31 AM
crazy4trains crazy4trains is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Milton, WV
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 509
Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
Alright, alright, enough already!!! I get, and agree with, your point(s).

I would still like to know if Bavarian Auto buys their seals from Beisan.

Thanks for the input!!! I will let you all know how I screw up the installation when I do it.
__________________
2002 530i
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Fudman's Avatar
Fudman Fudman is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Sudbury, MA
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 6,226
Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
I would still like to know if Bavarian Auto buys their seals from Beisan.
Call them and ask them. I would guess the answer is yes. BavAuto is a retail store (I've been there) with a catalog. They definitely don't make them. I can't see them sourcing out production to sell a few seal kits. Much easier to just buy from Raj.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-16-2013, 12:07 PM
doru's Avatar
doru doru is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Calgary
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 4,491
Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
+1,000,000 for Rajae. He went the length of sending me the steel gasket between the engine head & vanos, because I had a hard time sourcing it here in Canada. The dealer was charging 1 arm, 1 leg and the first born for it. Rajae threw it in the package for a few bucks (the OEM part) he sourced in the US. His support is also tremendous - you can call him almost at any time, and he will walk you through stuff you don't know/understand. Try that with any other vendor.....
__________________
Looking for a DIY? Parts? Check this out, it might be your ticket
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-16-2013, 10:17 PM
Five30Eye Five30Eye is offline
Registered User
Location: 10 minutes from Laguna
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 37
Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoda764 View Post
Fudman,
Agree with support of Raj! Just ordered my seals from him and DISA rebuild kit from GAS. Props to both of these efforts to correct these BMW flaws.

Thanks,
Rick
Amen to that!! Send your dollars directly to those responsible, and accept no substitutes for your ride!! Thank you again G.A.S and Beisan!
__________________
Speed, reliability and cost........pick two and throw the third out the window!
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-17-2013, 08:43 PM
gary@germanautosolutions's Avatar
gary@germanautosolutions gary@germanautosolutions is offline
'Fest Sponsor
Location: Grand Rapids, Michigan
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 288
Mein Auto: 528-530 Hybrid, Duc. 748
Quote:
Amen to that!! Send your dollars directly to those responsible, and accept no substitutes for your ride!! Thank you again G.A.S and Beisan!
Thanks for that comment. I can imagine the amount of man hours that went into the development of the Beisan kit, because I know the number of hours that went into our DISA kit. I have connections in seal industry and could have easily sourced the materials necessary to make our own seal kit for quite a bit less money than what I pay for the Beisan seal kits. I buy the Beisan kits to sell on our site because I know the effort that Raj put into the development, and I prefer to not compete with him because I feel it's his intellectual property.

Unfortunately there are a large number businesses that don't feel that way, and now we have Chinese knock-offs of our DISA kit and both Chinese and U.S. knock offs of the Beisan kit.

There seems to be a lot of loyalty on this forum and I think I can speak for Raj when I say thank you for supporting the businesses that support the BMW community and this forum.

Gary

German Auto Solutions
__________________

"I'm a little rascal on my Little Rascal"
- unknown
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:02 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms