Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-16-2013, 05:38 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
Vanos seals from Bavarian Auto vs. Beisan

I'm gearing up to replace my valve cover gasket. While i'm in there I also plan to replace the Vanos seals. I notice that Bavarian Auto carries vanos seals for about the same price as Beisan. Does anybody know if the seals from both places are from the same manufacturer? I will be ordering a few other items from Bavarian anyway (not VCG related) and can save a few coins on shipping.
Old 04-16-2013, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: '03 525i
I would give the business to Beisan because he was the one who did the technical investigation to determine the cause (BMW selected incorrect type of rubber for the o-rings; Not compatible with motor oil!!) and then had new teflon seals cut to his specifications to go with the correct rubber o-rings so that all of us could benefit. BMW still sells replacement vanos units with the incorrect rubber o-rings!
'01 M3 Laguna Seca Blu/Grey
'95 M3 Cosmos Blk/Blk
Old 04-16-2013, 06:11 AM

Mein Auto: 03 540, 06 E53 4.8, Z32TT
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRIT View Post
I would give the business to Beisan because he was the one who did the technical investigation to determine the cause (BMW selected incorrect type of rubber for the o-rings; Not compatible with motor oil!!) and then had new teflon seals cut to his specifications to go with the correct rubber o-rings so that all of us could benefit. BMW still sells replacement vanos units with the incorrect rubber o-rings!
2nd this. Beisan System deserves the support.

FS 2001 ///M5
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=791509
2000 Dinan S1 //M5 (my DD) 06 DINAN E53 4.8iS (wife's DD), 90 Straman Z32TT (my pride & joy ride)

Gone, but not forgotten: 01 E53 3.0i, 01 525i Sport, 03 DINAN 540i MSport and 91 Z32TwinTurbo
Old 04-16-2013, 06:12 AM
Gearhead

Mein Auto: '98 528i, '82 323i
i'd bet anything that bavarian is buying its seal from beisan.
Old 04-16-2013, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
+1, I would agree that Raj is selling his seals to BavAuto because they want to be a full service BMW parts house. Raj takes a hit on his profit margins but makes some of it up by increasing his volume. Given that Raj sells them for $60, BavAuto cannot charge more. So to us, the consumer, price is a wash. But Raj is da MAN! He developed these seals, he supports their installation and he continues to develop and add new products. He should be encouraged and supported. The best way to do that is to give the maximum profit margin to him directly. So BUY DIRECT FROM BEISAN!!!! ACCEPT NO SUBSTITUTES (just in case they are different)! No offense, BavAuto. I buy stuff from you and that won't change. However, in this specific case, it is Beisan all the way!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
Vanos repair

Fudman,
Agree with support of Raj! Just ordered my seals from him and DISA rebuild kit from GAS. Props to both of these efforts to correct these BMW flaws.

Any advice before I tackle both of these jobs on my 2001 530ia w/165K?

Thanks,
Rick
Old 04-16-2013, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoda764 View Post
Fudman,
Agree with support of Raj! Just ordered my seals from him and DISA rebuild kit from GAS. Props to both of these efforts to correct these BMW flaws.

Any advice before I tackle both of these jobs on my 2001 530ia w/165K?

Thanks,
Rick
1. Put the Beisan DIY in the bathroom and read it every time you do your thing. Read it end to end, a minimum five times before starting this job. Highlight any unusual steps, like reverse thread.
2. Make sure you have the 32mm and clutch holder for removing the fan clutch. It is worth the added cost as sometimes belt friction is not enough.
3. Put some anti-seize on the fan clutch threads before reassembly. It makes removal of it easier the next time.
4. Have a wobble or universal joint. Accessing the valve cover bolt near the firewall is tight.
5. Have some spare vacuum tubing for the SAP valve. This tends to cracke when moved.
6. Have every tool identified in the DIY available.
7. Follow the DIY explicitly. This should take a little under 6 hours moving slowly and methodically.

You will LOVE how this improves your engine response!
Old 04-16-2013, 08:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
To Fudman

Roger all and thanks again.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: '97 540i 6 speed
... and the number 1 reason to buy from Beisan: he supports their installation.

Ed in San Jose '97 540i 6 speed aspensilber over aubergine leather. Build date 3/97. Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA Nr 62319.
Old 04-16-2013, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edjack View Post
... and the number 1 reason to buy from Beisan: he supports their installation.
This cannot be understated. If you review the Beisan forum, you will see numerous times where people hit a glitch or problem. They call Raj and the problem is solved. Raj is essentially available 24/7 with support. This is nothing short of extraordinary. Now THAT is customer service!!!
Old 04-16-2013, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 530i Sport
Alright, alright, enough already!!! I get, and agree with, your point(s).

I would still like to know if Bavarian Auto buys their seals from Beisan.

Thanks for the input!!! I will let you all know how I screw up the installation when I do it.
Old 04-16-2013, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4trains View Post
I would still like to know if Bavarian Auto buys their seals from Beisan.
Call them and ask them. I would guess the answer is yes. BavAuto is a retail store (I've been there) with a catalog. They definitely don't make them. I can't see them sourcing out production to sell a few seal kits. Much easier to just buy from Raj.
Old 04-16-2013, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
+1,000,000 for Rajae. He went the length of sending me the steel gasket between the engine head & vanos, because I had a hard time sourcing it here in Canada. The dealer was charging 1 arm, 1 leg and the first born for it. Rajae threw it in the package for a few bucks (the OEM part) he sourced in the US. His support is also tremendous - you can call him almost at any time, and he will walk you through stuff you don't know/understand. Try that with any other vendor.....
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 04-16-2013, 10:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfoda764 View Post
Fudman,

Thanks,
Rick
Amen to that!! Send your dollars directly to those responsible, and accept no substitutes for your ride!! Thank you again G.A.S and Beisan!
Old 04-17-2013, 08:43 PM
'Fest Sponsor

Mein Auto: 528-530 Hybrid, Duc. 748
Quote:
Amen to that!! Send your dollars directly to those responsible, and accept no substitutes for your ride!! Thank you again G.A.S and Beisan!
Thanks for that comment. I can imagine the amount of man hours that went into the development of the Beisan kit, because I know the number of hours that went into our DISA kit. I have connections in seal industry and could have easily sourced the materials necessary to make our own seal kit for quite a bit less money than what I pay for the Beisan seal kits. I buy the Beisan kits to sell on our site because I know the effort that Raj put into the development, and I prefer to not compete with him because I feel it's his intellectual property.

Unfortunately there are a large number businesses that don't feel that way, and now we have Chinese knock-offs of our DISA kit and both Chinese and U.S. knock offs of the Beisan kit.

There seems to be a lot of loyalty on this forum and I think I can speak for Raj when I say thank you for supporting the businesses that support the BMW community and this forum.

Gary

German Auto Solutions

"I'm a little rascal on my Little Rascal"
- unknown