Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E34 M5 (1988-1995)

E34 M5 (1988-1995)

Old 04-07-2013, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: E34 M5
Ignition coil wire readings

I have recently purchased a 91 M5 and am beginning the process of review for restoration.

Recently, the idle seemed less than idle. I can here it studder but its not visible in the tach and now its holding idle at about 600rpm which I know is a little low.

This evening I took some readings from my plug wires after replacing the plugs.

They were from 5.68 to 6.35 k ohm on the spark plug wires, end to end but the Ignition coil wire, that which runs from the ignition coil to the distributor showed 2.186 k ohm.

Is there any reason this cable should show less than the others which are in spec as per the Bentley manual? I cant seem to find where this wire has another indicated range.

could anyone verify?

I removed the plenum and cleaned the ICV which was quite dirty but it had no effect on the studdering idle.

I have not yet replaced or checked the distributor but perhaps its an area of issue also. I did check the valve actuator and it at no times performs the self-test thus I have to assume the electric valve that actuates it is not working, could this be an issue related to idle also?

3. I just watched the idle again and noticed that if I activate the A/C, the idle issues significantly better themselves. Its not perfect but its uniform and not lumpy and studdering. once the A/C is shut off it begins again.
thanks,
chris

Last edited by 4heid; 04-13-2013 at 04:54 PM. Reason: more info
Advertisement
Old 04-13-2013, 04:35 PM

bump
Old 04-14-2013, 05:02 PM

"TPS readings"

Pin 1-2 = 3.67kohm, always steady, throttle position makes no difference in reading
Pin 1-3 throttle closed = 3.12 kohm
Pin 1-3 throttle half = approx 2kohms and moves with each movement of the throttle
Pin 1-3 full throttle = 352ohms, this is the bottom

Is it not the case that the resistance increases as the throttle is opened? My readings have no relation to those I have found online which sate 2kohm closed, 2-10khm as the throttle moves and 10kohm full throttle.

Pins 4-5-6 show no readings.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:45 PM

Throttle position sensor update

pins at 10 and 2 o'clock - 0 to 1.2mV (closed to WOT)
pins at 10 and 12 o'clock - 1mv steady

thoughts?
Old 04-18-2013, 04:46 AM

I replaced the distributor and rotor and it seems it was the major culprit. There is still some random studder but its much better now.
I am still unsure of my TPS readings as to whether its on its way out or not.