Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 04-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 528ia, X5 4.4 sports
Does installing HID auto leveling hardware need LCM replacement/update?

Hi,

I had updated my '97 528 headlights from halogen to Hella AE HID years ago and all has been well. Now I want to add the auto leveling system that is linked to the suspension. I found the hardware for this for $75 from a salvage yard. My headlights have the auto-level stepper motors at the back.

My question is do I also need to replace the LCM or it just requires a software update? Will the xenon headlights initialize (move up and down) when the ignition is turned on? I see this happening with my X5 which has HID.

Thanks for any pointers.

Last edited by musa; 04-17-2013 at 11:53 PM.
Advertisement
Old 04-18-2013, 04:00 AM

Mein Auto: 530i 2003
I can't answer your question directly but these links may help you find the answer.

Xenon retrofit instructions
http://www.gavandkel.co.uk/PDFs/276en.pdf
http://www.gavandkel.co.uk/PDFs/6098EN.pdf

Comprehensive list of retrofit instructions for E39
http://www.gavandkel.co.uk/E39.html
Old 04-18-2013, 08:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 530iA
There are different LCM models within the same year. looking at realoem, you will see LCM s/n for non-xenon and LCM s/n for xenon.
Look here: http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...20&hg=61&fg=25
Item #2:
Light and check-control module (LCM)

AND:

Light and check-control module (LCM) for vehicles with Xenon lights.

The modules look identical, but I don't think the difference is ONLY coding.
TMS underdrive pullies - Stewart WP - PSS9 - Beisan Vanos seals - Zimmerman cross-drilled & Akebono Euro - Deka 649 MF - 55w HID headlights - 35w HID foglights - Hualigan double din - ACS (rep) alu pedals - Euro central storage console - Breyton Magic Racing staggered wheels - M5 bumper - M5 steering wheel - Tint
Stable: e39, e53, e46 & Tribby
Old 04-18-2013, 09:28 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540i
If, I'm not mistaken the xenon LCM got automatic adjustment vs halogens that got manual adjustment. The modules are physically different. LCM for halogen has the electronics for manual adjustment and the LCM for xenon doesn't have those. You should be able to code the current LCM to work with the self-leveling. The retrofit wiring is quite a PITA to do.