Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 04-18-2013, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 550i sport pack
Best year for M5

Hi all,

Let me start off by saying I'm not new to BMW as I own a 08 550i.

I'm trying to figure out what years between 08-10 have the least issues for these cars. There are a plethora of M5's out there but the mileage ranges so much. I'm looking to spend at max 50k. I plan on getting a ppi done before I purchase.

Note- I'm looking to buy one with the SMG transmission.

There are some with 10k miles and others with 30k. What typical issues do you owners have in this mileage range. Do clutches go out around 30k in these cars ( I realize it depends on how bad people drive)? What is typical to replace or look out for when buying an M5. I'm trying to determine if I should stay away from a car with 30k miles. I do realize there is more maintanence with these than my 550.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com
Ads by Google
Old 04-23-2013, 07:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 5.0i
I found a couple of 2010s with around 10k miles. Upon further discussion with the salesman discovered they were BMW Performance Center cars. No thanks as I've been to the Performance Center and those cars are driven into the ground. Absolutely hammered! So if then price seems too low there may be a reason.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Bimmer App
Old 04-28-2013, 08:54 AM
Lucky to drive a BMW

Mein Auto: 2006 M5///
2006, but i think but i have a bias as a owner. A BMW that new depending on you driving habits you wont see any problems to speak of. whatever you get stay clear or most dealerships on sevice.and repair

Last edited by luckydog; 04-28-2013 at 09:04 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 06:15 PM

Mein Auto: Car X
+1 to what A112394 said earlier.

My belief is that -who- owned the car is more important than exact mileage.

When I was out looking from Jan-Mar of this year, there were a whole bunch of 2010 M5s with about 10,000 miles on them --- all from the Performance Delivery Center. 10k track miles is probably equivalent to a 100k miles of normal wear and tear. I was not willing to take the risk on one - nor is BMW as they specifically exclude them from any further CPO and extended warranty programs. Caveat emptor.

On the other side of the spectrum --- I was fortunate to find a private seller who is totally obsessed with his cars and had taken immaculate care of a 2010 M5 and it turned out great. The car happened to have fairly low mileage, but I would buy anything that this guy owned even if it had much higher mileage.

Cars are machines and they will age best with regular, normal usage. Personally, I looked for one with mileage appropriate to it's age - maybe in the 10k per year zone. Driven regularly, but never abused.

Do be aware that the M5 is a significantly different beast from the 550. I owned a 2008 550 before moving to the 2010 M5 and was really surprised at just how big of a change it is. The 550 is a wonderfully powerful sport sedan. It looks great, has tons of power, and I never thought much about driving except turning on sport mode and using the paddle shifters when I found some fun twisties.

In contrast, the M5 is a race car with a luxury interior draped around it. It is powerful, it is fast --- but it requires more thought and interaction with the car to get the most out of it. And, yes, the SMG does require a compromise in daily driving comfort. I personally love it - but I can understand how it may not be everyone's cup of tea. It's worth trying to spend some extended time with one of the cars before you buy one.