Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 02-26-2013, 10:49 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
Hello everybody...i hope somebody can help..i have an e39 2003...i replaced the instrument cluster and now my MiD won't display any information...even the clock disappeared...any thoughts..?
Old 03-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
For the record, a user reported this today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_alpinie View Post
I spoke with BMWNA and they confirmed it in fact is a 2000. I now need to fax my vehicle registration to continue the process for fixing my pixels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc_alpinie View Post
I finally received my offer from bmwna after 2 weeks of waiting. Initially I spoke with Kara from BMWNA and she asked me to fax information to the office. If I can remember correctly she said the discount would be 50% to 75% off. I was actually impressed because the fix would cost between 187.98 - 375.96. However today I got a call from BMWNA and spoke with Donna [(201) 263-8219] and she told me I would receive a 25% discount on labor and (parts? I need clarification on parts).

The dealer requires a purchase of a re-manufactured instrument cluster that is un-programmed. The cost of a new cluster is $594.93 and I got a quote from BMW Silver Springs for labor and it was $220. My local dealer in Okemos MI quoted the labor for $157 which surprised me but the overall cost without tax would be $563.95 after applying the discount.

I have 2 weeks to think about the offer and at the moment I would decline it because I can find a better deal from vendors online.

If I gather anymore information I will post it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Studawg View Post
They told me just last week they would pay 75% of the part and I would have to pay all the labor.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2001 540i 6 Speed
Quote:
Originally Posted by xraye39 View Post
For my money first best option is to contact BMW and see is they will do a good will replacement. My new cluster cost me $75 for installation labor charge, part was free from BMW. Mine was replaced about 2 years ago. Hard to say if there is corporate position on BMW replacing clusters since folks have had so many varying responses from them over the years.

If you don't ask BMW then the answer is always no.

This is the same thing happened to me in GA. Labor was 100 bucks.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Bimmer App
Old 03-12-2013, 02:29 PM

There is a new option for pixel repair, as shown by this thread today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Donkey View Post
Bavarian Audio (eBay)
$149.99 E39/X5/E38 Cluster repair - Optional $25 satin silver gauge rings upgrade
$112.50 E39/X5/E38 MID repair
All of my services include free return shipping & a lifetime warranty for as long as you own the unit.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 540i/6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebee View Post
There is a new option for pixel repair, as shown by this thread today:
Thank you, Blue. Searching through your threads and I must say that your commitment to this community is outstanding.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:46 PM

Mein Auto: 530i
Quote:
What options are available for E39 instrument cluster repair?
1. BMW NA (about $400 for parts, with free goodwill labor)
2. BMW Parts Source (about $250)
3. VDO Repair (about $350)
4. ATE (about $?)
5. DIY ribbon replacement ($30 here) (tools here)
6. Salvage-yard or refurbished (about $250?)
7. bimmer.netne.net (repairs clusters for $190 + $24 shipping)
8. anything else?

DETAILS:
From this thread (where the PO illegally removed the SES, BRAKE, DSC, and ABS discrete LEDs), I found out that ATE (http://www.autoecu.com) fixes instrument clusters.

From this post, I find out that VDORepair (http://www.vdorepair.com) will repair your instrument cluster for about $350 (includes shipping & lifetime warranty).

From this thread
, I find out that Patrick, at BMWPartsSource (a sponsor) will repair the cluster for about $300 (depending on warranty). Money back if the cluster can not be repaired.

From this thread, (and this thread) I found out that some BMW dealers claim BMW has "discontinued goodwill cluster replacements"; however, others disagree and say it will cost you about $400 at the dealer to repair your cluster (2-year warranty). They also do gauges and plastic parts.

From this thread, we find the more risky DIY method costs about $40, including shipping.

And, of course, you can always get a refurbished cluster.

What other options exist for repairing dead pixels in the instrument cluster?

Note:
- How to remove the instrument cluster (1) (2)

My past experience (just last month, February 2013) is one that I think you will approve of. After looking through many forums from here and there I found a man that will solve your pixel issues with a lifetime warranty. The links listed below are for 1. The MID Instrument Cluster and 2. The MID Stereo/Radio. He fixed my pixel issue with my stereo. Considering the inclement weather that was occurring in the Midwest and up into the Northeast the turn around time was ten days. I've read that some have had a five day turn around. The total cost, hold on.......$112.00 for the stereo and $149.00 for the instrument cluster.

Anyway, the removal of the instrument cluster and the stereo are quite simple, less than one minute for the stereo and less that ten minutes for the instrument cluster. You Tube has many tutorials on this simple project.

Good luck and tell George (the technician from BarvarianAudio, aka Concrete Donkey) that Richard referred you.

1. Instrument Cluster:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E39-E38-...442729&vxp=mtr

2. Stereo
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-MULTI-IN...4&cmd=ViewItem _sl_

Last edited by 2bazookas; 03-15-2013 at 07:47 PM.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bazookas View Post
Since links are ephemeral while pictures are forever, here are screenshots of the dash and MID links above ...

EDIT: See also this very interesting update about the CAUSE of the pixels going out!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Donkey View Post
I have not yet found a pink pressure pad to be the issue for missing pixels. The conductive ink used by BMW, and many other repair service providers, eventually "break" connection from what I have seen (speaking on behalf of many units containing a "MID repair" sticker on the PCB). The non-bonding ribbons do not require heat, allowing you many attempts in the event of an unsuccessful repair.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	link1.png
Views:	47
Size:	301.8 KB
ID:	366610   Click image for larger version

Name:	link2.png
Views:	40
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	366611  

Last edited by bluebee; 03-31-2013 at 09:37 PM.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bazookas View Post
My past experience (just last month, February 2013) is one that I think you will approve of. After looking through many forums from here and there I found a man that will solve your pixel issues with a lifetime warranty. The links listed below are for 1. The MID Instrument Cluster and 2. The MID Stereo/Radio. He fixed my pixel issue with my stereo. Considering the inclement weather that was occurring in the Midwest and up into the Northeast the turn around time was ten days. I've read that some have had a five day turn around. The total cost, hold on.......$112.00 for the stereo and $149.00 for the instrument cluster.

Anyway, the removal of the instrument cluster and the stereo are quite simple, less than one minute for the stereo and less that ten minutes for the instrument cluster. You Tube has many tutorials on this simple project.

Good luck and tell George (the technician from BarvarianAudio, aka Concrete Donkey) that Richard referred you.

1. Instrument Cluster:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E39-E38-...442729&vxp=mtr

2. Stereo
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-MULTI-IN...4&cmd=ViewItem _sl_
Richard, you just made my day. Thank you for the extremely kind words.

Quote:
Since links are ephemeral while pictures are forever, here are screenshots of the dash and MID links above ...

EDIT: See also this very interesting update about the CAUSE of the pixels going out!
Update: How to test your MID pixels and access other hidden tests!

- Press and hold the first and last buttons (the buttons below the LCD with white dashes)
- Turn the key to the on position
- Press the "DISPLAY" button, sit back, and enjoy
Old 04-18-2013, 09:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 530iA
There are a few missing pixels on my instrument cluster. I called BMWNA and spoke to Liz. She told me they will offer 50% off Parts and Labor. Just from prices I've seen in this thread, its probably safe to say i'll end up paying about $250 for the cluster and $100 for labor. I'm hoping its no more than this.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:14 PM

Mein Auto: 01' 540 M-Sport cdn, F355
My personal experience is Germanaudiotech on Ebay is very poor...and after many attempts over several weeks finally got me a repaired radio, from another car (and not as nice a condition). Two years later, he refused to honor his "lifetime" warranty. I then sent it to VDOrepair.com and they fixed it pronto, first time out. It later had issues (bad glass) which they happily fixed under warranty, covering shipping each way. So I can vouch for vdorepair.com being a stand up outfit that will take care of you long after the initial fix. Recommended!

For my gauge cluster I used the dealer as I did not want the down time. Got 50% off on the part, and had to pay labor. Came to about $450 all told. Two year parts and labor warranty with dealer option...
Factory M-Sport package with factory installed M-tech bumpers, factory Bluetooth, factory M-Audio 10" dual voice coil subs, Homelink, M5 rear stabilizer bar, Bilstein B14 PSS coil overs, Stop Tech ss brake lines, Akebono Euro Ceramic brake pads, oem Brembo and Zimmerman rotors, Dinan Stage 1 software, Strong Strut front upper stress bar.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:14 PM

I just got an updated quote for the cluster replacement from BMW Rockville for $389.60.
Old 04-26-2013, 05:02 PM

Those are some pretty steep prices. I repair the cluster units via eBay, currently for $139.99, including a lifetime warranty & free return shipping. I believe that the initial soldering process melts the contact points to the ribbon, which is why I have seen many LCD screens needing replacement.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Bimmer App
Old 05-28-2013, 03:47 AM

For the record, this was asked today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcshott View Post
Just picked up a '97 E39 with the 4.4lt V8 and see that there are several pixels missing from the dash & OBC. Just wondering how to go about repairs/replacement & approx costs???
Old 05-28-2013, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: 99 323i, 2002 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonkumi88 View Post
I just got an updated quote for the cluster replacement from BMW Rockville for $389.60.
By the way, it is off topic but Jonkumi, what kind of angel eye you use? yours looks a lot brighter and I like always OEM color.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeson View Post
By the way, it is off topic but Jonkumi, what kind of angel eye you use? yours looks a lot brighter and I like always OEM color.
Honestly I'm not sure. They are the original set that came with the car when I bought it 2 months ago. You aren't the only person who's mentioned this to me...I'm kind of curious to find out now lol.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 540I 6spd
Hi all,
The cluster in my car is not really missing pixels but one side where the outside temperature displayed is dimmed/not as bright comparing to the rest. Would you think that cleaning the contacts could fix that problem?
Thanks.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: E39 540i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitek View Post
Hi all,
The cluster in my car is not really missing pixels but one side where the outside temperature displayed is dimmed/not as bright comparing to the rest. Would you think that cleaning the contacts could fix that problem?
Thanks.
No. There are bulbs that need to be replaced. You can be these from the dealer or save some $$ by buying them online. DIY on how to replace them: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...ing-bulbs.html
Old 05-29-2013, 10:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW 540I 6spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by HTK12 View Post
No. There are bulbs that need to be replaced. You can be these from the dealer or save some $$ by buying them online. DIY on how to replace them: http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39...ing-bulbs.html
Thanks a lot! That is exactly what I needed! Awesome.
Old 05-30-2013, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 2002 530i
Yesterday I had my cluster done at bimmeronly.com, Fremont, CA.

Their ebay offer is $159.99, their web-site states $230 or something like that. I did it for $159.99, everything works fine.

Takes about an hour, you can drive your car there if you live in the area, they'll take it out, fix it and will put it back in.

Amir is the guy's name, if you visit him, tell him Alex referred you

Last edited by alexjust; 05-30-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 525i
I just got my cluster and MID back from George aka ConcreteDonkey/BavarianAudio. Before, I had lived with dead pixels for over 3 years on the cluster. I highly recommend Bavarian Audio for all of your LCD issues. If you were on the fence like I was, like Nike says, "Just do it"!

George, cheers from Brian J in MI! Thanks again!
Old 07-25-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjust View Post
you can drive your car there if you live in the area, they'll take it out, fix it and will put it back in.
Will he let us watch the entire repair and report back to the team?
Old 07-28-2013, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHockeytowner View Post
I just got my cluster and MID back from George aka ConcreteDonkey/BavarianAudio. Before, I had lived with dead pixels for over 3 years on the cluster. I highly recommend Bavarian Audio for all of your LCD issues. If you were on the fence like I was, like Nike says, "Just do it"!

George, cheers from Brian J in MI! Thanks again!
Thank you for the review & I am also on Bimmerforums if you would like to leave me feedback over there as well (sorry that I never got back to you on that via email). It's always good to hear the units arrived safe, sound, and repaired
Old 08-03-2013, 07:15 PM
taxpro

Mein Auto: BMW 540iA and X1 xDrive35
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjust View Post
Yesterday I had my cluster done at bimmeronly.com, Fremont, CA.

Their ebay offer is $159.99, their web-site states $230 or something like that. I did it for $159.99, everything works fine.

Takes about an hour, you can drive your car there if you live in the area, they'll take it out, fix it and will put it back in.

Amir is the guy's name, if you visit him, tell him Alex referred you
I want to bimmeronly in Fremont today and they repaired by instrument cluser and MID. In and out in an hour for $239.99.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:25 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to mmadison17 Send a message via Skype™ to mmadison17
Mein Auto: 1998 528i
Cool Instument cluster number match

Hi I need to know if I can use a 1997 e39 cluster wit the # different on my cluster the numbers are 62.11-8 375 897 I need 2 know if I buy the same cluster but the part number it a little different will it work for example if the cluster number is 62.11-8 372 872 will it work
Old 08-11-2013, 01:55 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 2001 530i
The boot is not opening with the key what could be the problem 530i