Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > 6 Series DIY

6 Series DIY
6 Series Do It Yourself (DIY) forum.

Old 07-03-2012, 05:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 650i Coupe
I'm not sure what you need for a base sound system.
Here's what I do know. My premium system had a CD changer so the electrical wires where there and the MOST cables were there.
The electrical stuff is easy, you need a +12V, ground and a switched +12V (ignition).
MOST, not so easy. MOST if the optical data cables that send and receive the audio/video signals. They are configured in a ring bus system. You could tap in between the CIC. On the back of the CIC are two optic cables. You would need to replace one of them with a longer one to go to the interface and then a short one from the interface to go back to the CIC.
The problem is, I'm not sure anything else up front is on the MOST bus. The display might be, I don't remember. If not, you would have to run the optic cable back to the trunk to tap the other side in.
Good luck.
Old 07-03-2012, 08:12 AM

Mein Auto: E65 750i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Mode View Post
I pulled open the door on the 6 CD Changer. I don't see a pigtail or a connector in the slot where the 6 disc changer would go. Could it be stuffed down below or is it likely not installed with the base system?
You won't see the pigtail until you remove the CD changer completely. It's there, it's just hooked up to the installed changer right now.
The factory MOST iPod unit will take the place of the changer.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 650i
Quote:
Originally Posted by IppoJ View Post
You won't see the pigtail until you remove the CD changer completely. It's there, it's just hooked up to the installed changer right now.
The factory MOST iPod unit will take the place of the changer.
It seems pretty simple - if there is a cable there - but I don't have a 6 CD changer and I don't see a cable.

Is there ALWAYS a cable there or is it possible to have no cable?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	650Glovebox.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	331482  
Old 07-10-2012, 12:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 (E46 )328I
Quote:
Originally Posted by ******** View Post
You are correct. They should do it for free! PM me with your email address and i'll send you the original BMW bulletin that enables you to have it done for free. Just show them that and they'll do it for free guaranteed! I'll also send along the original BMW install instructions for the interface.
Is that for any programming, software update, or iPod related? I just bought a 530i, and software is obsolete... in addition, i want iPod integration as well.., wondering if I can use it
Thanks
Old 12-17-2012, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 645ci
Is the bulletin for free programming still available? If so, can u send it to janghwanlee1@gmail.com thanx
Old 01-04-2013, 04:58 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 bmw 650i convertible
Ipod retrofit

[QUOTE=********;3437963]yeah you have to bring er in to get the MP3 retrofit which they'll try to charge you but show them the bulletin and they'll have to do it for free

Can you send me the bulletin please.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:41 PM

Mein Auto: 650 ic
My email is tonykeom@gmail.com..Thank you
Old 01-06-2013, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 bmw 650i convertible
Bulletin

My email is j22bonez@aol.com thanks
Old 01-06-2013, 07:59 AM
BMW7_CEO

Mein Auto: 05 745LI 06 650i 06 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ******** View Post
You are correct. They should do it for free! PM me with your email address and i'll send you the original BMW bulletin that enables you to have it done for free. Just show them that and they'll do it for free guaranteed! I'll also send along the original BMW install instructions for the interface.
Hey I was wondering if you can send me the instructions of the installation please Ill appreciate it Bricktown777@hotmail.com thank you
Old 01-06-2013, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: '04 M3 / '06 650i Cab
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW7_CEO View Post
Hey I was wondering if you can send me the instructions of the installation please Ill appreciate it Bricktown777@hotmail.com thank you
Just a FYI to you guys who are asking the Original Poster for instructions. He has been banned so he is not seeing your posts. No idea why he was banned, I was not around when it happened, but he seemed like a knowledgeable contributor.
'02 Highlander - kid hauler
'01 330Ci - winter beater

Old 01-06-2013, 02:33 PM
BMW7_CEO

Mein Auto: 05 745LI 06 650i 06 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorgi View Post
Just a FYI to you guys who are asking the Original Poster for instructions. He has been banned so he is not seeing your posts. No idea why he was banned, I was not around when it happened, but he seemed like a knowledgeable contributor.
Oh man really that sucks. Thanks bro for informing us about it but do you know by any chance where we can look up the instructions ?
Old 03-21-2013, 12:00 AM

Send a message via AIM to schulrog Send a message via MSN to schulrog Send a message via Yahoo to schulrog Send a message via Skype™ to schulrog
Mein Auto: 645Ci Convertible
funny to see this thread still alive and kicking after so many years

Here's the bulletin for everyone to enjoy. beware... you must be under warranty for BMW to cover this.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf MP3 Retrofit Bulletin.pdf (13.1 KB, 135 views)
Magnaflow Exhaust with custom X-Pipe
20" M6 Replicas, H&R Spacers 20mm Front & Rear
Falken 452 Front: 255/35/20 Rear: 285/30/20
Eibach Springs 1.2" Front and Rear
AE's: MTEC V3 LED
DLR's: OSRAM NightBreaker Plus
Low Beam Lights: OSRAM Cool Blue Intense
Fog Lights: Hid-Kit
Parking Lights Delete
Turnsignal Lights: Stealth/Chrome

Last edited by schulrog; 03-21-2013 at 12:03 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 645CI
Need ipod modification

Anyone know where I can get an Ipod modification from. Thanks.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 645CI
Bullentin

I would like a copy of the bullentin also. fmamgmt@aol.com
Old 04-18-2013, 08:35 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 650i conv
Thumbs up Hello all Guys.

Hello
I 'm Jackie
I 'm new . I want to say Hi everyones
I 'v just bought 650i con. I found bmw forums a lot of interesting about garage mechanic . all who love car, repair yourself, enjoying work on car, taking care thing you love.
I love this site , I can learn working on my baby.
see ya.
Old 04-18-2013, 03:48 PM

Mein Auto:
Ok, this may be slightly off topic, but also relates IMO.

08 650i with CD changer, Aux and USB input jacks in the console, Sat was supposedly active as part of the original buy (according to paperwork I have from dealer).

Two issues, first the USB jack does nothing to either recognize or charge iPhone 5 and Aux works like a charm for Pandora, etc. but of course, nothing on the iDrive display relating to where the Aux signal is originating.

That's acceptable for what it is, but when I jack in an OEM USB cable, nothing, can't even select USB and get fed an error. (i'm assuming the USB jack is an iPod interface).

Second issue, attempted to activate Sat and there is no ESN listed when the screen indicates to note ESN and call Sirius.

Since I can't figure out how to display the radio ID, Sirius has given me an ID based on the VIN and attempted activation about a dozen times and nada.

I'm taking the car to my dealer (CPO) on Saturday, but after reading this thread top to bottom, just thought I'd ask for any experiences and remedies that might keep me from having to go.

Thanks in advance!

Kevin W
IN
07 550i; 08 650i (and love both!)
Old 05-21-2013, 03:32 AM
V-8 Driver

Mein Auto: 2007 650i 6MT
Special Cable

I had a 2008 550i with the same 6FL usb option. You need a special BMW cable that has both a usb and an RCA mini jack on it. You plug into both of those holes, other end is an ipod 30-pin - worked great on my iPhone 4S. With the iphone 5 and the lightning connector I will need to figure it out. I have a retina ipad w/ lightning and it hooks up fine to my other cars, audio and album art only, no videos (like I care, don't have any on it!) - using an Apple 30-pin to lightning adapter. Have yet to try in the BMW... Others have probably got this all sorted out, probably even the dealers or the coders out there?

djcwardog

2007 650i 0440/LCGE, 6MT, Sport, Nav, HUD, NiVi (w pin swap in CIC), L7, HD Radio (now from CIC), SiriusXM. Coding: lawyer screen (CIC), Halogen DRLs on with high beams (LMA), fan speed LED seen on "auto" (with an LCI-IHKA), turn signals in HUD (CIC), personalized car ID for BT etc... Complete: CIC retrofit>E90.SSD >E90-E60 merged CIC.trc >coded for Combox. To do: ICOM/WinKFP >CIC (63, 62, A0) >v41 >complete 6NR/6NF coding.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:55 AM
V-8 Driver

Two OEM BMW kits were offered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport Mode View Post
This is a great thread. Lots of good info here. Thanks to all prior posters.

Some of the posts go back many years so I want to make sure I have the latest set of options in July 2012. Here is my situation:

2006 BMW 650i
Base sound system
No 6-CD Changer in the glovebox
In dash CD plays MP3s

I pulled open the door on the 6 CD Changer. I don't see a pigtail or a connector in the slot where the 6 disc changer would go. Could it be stuffed down below or is it likely not installed with the base system?
Since I don't see a cable where the 6 CD changer goes, do I need more than these kits offer?
Here are the three main choices I know of as of June 2013:

BMW's own MOST iPod adapter kit - and possibly even doing a 6FL upgrade if using later head units... (look into CIC for CCC, ETC.)

Dension gateway 500 series of iPod Adapters - what I just ordered

MoBridge - good stuff to include ipod as well as pre-amp into the MOST ring, etc...

Your car is set up like mine it seems, no SA 672 CDC or SA 694 CDC Prep.

Installation instructions are out on the web for the OEM kit that works for us. Biggest difference in the 2 OEM kits (part #'s have changed over time - use RealOEM to confirm current: ours is listed as "Retrofit Kit 65 41 0 412 881" in those instructions) is that our kit seems to include a ~2' length of MOST cable and elec. (12v + and ground - no problem to get those connected!) wires in the snap-in plugs to connect at the back of your head unit over to the glovebox area... Cars with CDC or CDC Prep already have these things taped up over in that area...

They tell you to be sure the car is flashed to the latest I-stage status (Progman I guess?) before programming.

I think that any of the three choices I listed above would work - all replicate the 6-disc CD changer in the MOST ring and the retrofit coding tells the car that you now have it... Basically, you have to get the fiber optic cable (find the one that is lit up when ignition is on and car not running. I actually have a pull-down access flap or panel at top center inside of my glovebox that has a pair of MOST fiberoptic cables (no wires though) plugged in a harness integrated into that flap on the back side - one with black plastic sheathing, the other bare orange/red... I believe these may be used for MOST diagnostics with dealer scan tools. You should go to the back of the CCC - easy to do. Hardest part - knowing that you use a plastic tool to pop out the emerg flasher and door lock switch to reveal a single torx screw underneath. Remove that screw and you can pull the center dash vent piece on out.

I chose the new Dension 500SBT, model #GW52MO2 (an eBay seller in TN is selling the Dual FOT model (lets you keep, or find one to use, your OEM CD changer and retails at $699) for $499 - basically same price as others are selling the ...MO1 model that does not allow the extra MOST port so you cannot keep or use the OEM CDC. There are older GW51's out there even cheaper, but this new GW52 offers iPhone 5 compatibility using the stock lightning cable - and it offers bluetooth A2DP so it is not just for your phone, but also for streaming your music! This makes Pandora or anything else on your i-device (and Android or BBerry I would think) able to stream out for our older cars with the M-ASK or CCC nav head units. If you dive in and buy a CIC HD head unit, Combox, optional items beyond that, and all the coding, you get a full-on OEM setup - but for thousands of dollars... For now I am willing to stay with CCC and get the Dension up and running. This may be all I need.

If you want the OEM solution, those kits are out there as well, just run the part #'s to be sure that you are getting one of 3 or 4 different part #'s that changed over time for the Non-CDC kit. If you find the kit intended for use with an existing CDC or for cars that have CDC Prep, then you don't get tat 2' cable - but you can order one as a BMW part...

Wish me luck - any tips?

djcwardog

2007 650i 0440/LCGE, 6MT, Sport, Nav, HUD, NiVi (w pin swap in CIC), L7, HD Radio (now from CIC), SiriusXM. Coding: lawyer screen (CIC), Halogen DRLs on with high beams (LMA), fan speed LED seen on "auto" (with an LCI-IHKA), turn signals in HUD (CIC), personalized car ID for BT etc... Complete: CIC retrofit>E90.SSD >E90-E60 merged CIC.trc >coded for Combox. To do: ICOM/WinKFP >CIC (63, 62, A0) >v41 >complete 6NR/6NF coding.

Last edited by djcwardog; 07-01-2013 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 04:39 AM
V-8 Driver

Update - 7/1/13

Dension GW500SBT is installed. Right now it is only coded in for "+IPOD" after finding that my vent controls seemed a bit haywire after my first try. If you go with Dension like mine, it comes with enough FO cable that you can use just what it provides to get the CCC plug changed over (see OEM instructions for cars without CDC or CDC PRep) for the FO cable loop and the simple +12v and ground. Notable is that the Dension instrucions do not tell us to code in the "+KMP3" in the CAS and LMA for our VO - for our cars that had no CDC or CDC Prep, just the "+IPOD". Note also that if you had the CDC and it plays MP3 already, Dension says to do no coding, just swap out your CDC for this unit... As the user's manual indicates you can use the other CD choices to do things and mine only has CD1 available I am now wondering if I should take out the +IPOD coding and put in the $672 along with +KMP3 which would be for a CDC... Could that give me the various CD 1 - 6 chocies for different menus and also solve the vent issue?

Last night I updated things a bit to tidy up the installation. I ran the small tethered control head from Dension into my center console along its front wall pointing straight up near the OEM Aux-In jack - basically to be similar to how the 6FL option adds a USB jack in that area. I moved the Dension main unit out of glovebox area and down to area behind left kneepad for passenger to allow the cable lengths to work out.

I still have vent issues after doing this. I even tried taking the Dension out of loop and recoding the car without +IPOD or +KMP3 - restoring it to as-delivered VO... No joy even with that step. I will keep looking into this. When I used INPA to check for error messages (F1) in the stepper motors, INPA showed me 3 errors stored for my IHKA60 Klima. A Sensor Heat Exchanger Right 9C60 and a LINbuserror E706 are both still present and now stored. A Sensor heat exchanger Left 9C67 is not now present, but was stored.

Did I mess up the climate system module when I pulled and replaced the trim in center dash to get to my CCC? Isn't the IHKA module in that box on our cars? Doesn't this seem to point to my finding another module ($200-$300 on eBay...) to screw into the back of my wood trim piece - or is this a dealer trip? I will try switching the car to a $672 and +KMP3 VO then Default Car coding the other modules tonight, then that will do it for permutations of coding to try to resolve the vent issue without swapping parts out.

djcwardog

Last edited by djcwardog; 08-04-2013 at 04:53 AM. Reason: Vent fault found - bent wire inside connector! Dension install was fine.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:02 PM

Mein Auto: 645 ci
I've really enjoyed reading this thread over the years. An iPod upgrade is something I've been considering for over a year. Reading through the numerous posts, I think I have the most advantageous starting point with my sixes. Here's the rundown:

2005 645ci
With 6 disc changer and plays MP3's through the dash.

So based on the previous posts, I should be able to enjoy a plug and play DIY experience. My question is this. Does anyone see any advantage with some of the non-OEM solutions compared to BMW's OEM most adapter? I'm leaning towards OEM and I've found a variety of prices online as well. So if anyone knows the best vendor for the part, that information would be appreciated as well. Also, I have not decided if I will purchase a dedicated iPod classic to just leave in the glove box or use my iPhone 5 which I have read may have some problems interfacing with the adapter.

Looking forward to hearing your insights.
Old 09-30-2013, 03:15 AM

Send a message via AIM to schulrog Send a message via MSN to schulrog Send a message via Yahoo to schulrog Send a message via Skype™ to schulrog
Mein Auto: 645Ci Convertible
little late but better than never.

you would definitely be a PnP scenario. OEM is the way to go but i would suggest just popping in an ipod classic and leaving in the car. plugging in and unplugging your phone gets old REAL quick
Magnaflow Exhaust with custom X-Pipe
20" M6 Replicas, H&R Spacers 20mm Front & Rear
Falken 452 Front: 255/35/20 Rear: 285/30/20
Eibach Springs 1.2" Front and Rear
AE's: MTEC V3 LED
DLR's: OSRAM NightBreaker Plus
Low Beam Lights: OSRAM Cool Blue Intense
Fog Lights: Hid-Kit
Parking Lights Delete
Turnsignal Lights: Stealth/Chrome
Old 10-12-2013, 09:26 AM
V-8 Driver

CIC Hard Drive vs. iPod

Don't forget that if you decide to upgrade to a CIC retrofit, you will have an 80GB hard drive. After your nav maps go in (~30GB or so?) you can upload music on the rest [UPDATE - I read that we only get 12GB allocated out of CIC's 80GB to store music] , using the USB port that you will put in the glovebox (comes from the back of the CIC itself). For some folks, this may eliminate the need for an iPod in the car at all...

djcwardog

Last edited by djcwardog; 12-02-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:16 PM

Send a message via ICQ to 2BAGolfer
Mein Auto: 2005 645 Ci
What dealer will program MP3 for $200? in NOVA