Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 02-08-2012, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee
New to forum-Need X3 help!

Hey guys. I have been trying to deal with a very fussy first generation 04 X3 2.5I. I know all the research and reviews paint a very poor picture for the 04 2.5I and i can tell you it has been a hand full. The main issues with the car are, roof no longer operates(it gets stuck and can not close if it is vented or opened), the valve cover gasket still leaks after replacement, There are some some funky noises coming from the rear end, one of the shock coils broke, and last the hood does not spring open and no amount of lubrication will make the drivers side latch move freely. Please I have been searching for answers to these problems and will take any help you guys can give.
Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 02-09-2012, 04:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
Learn to live without the sunroof. It's a 3000 dollar repair. Pull the fuse in the glove box so you don't accidentally open it.

Who did the valve cover repair? Did they put RTV sealant in the "half moons"? If your CCV is bad it can lead to an oil leak as well.

What are the noises from the rear? Has the diff fluid been changed?

Rear coil spring can be replaced in about 15 minutes. No need to remove rear shock. Original BMW springs are around 150 each.

All your problems with the x3 are relatively common. There are a lot or DIY writeups on the forum here. Good luck with the repairs.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:43 AM
Aficionado

Mein Auto: '05 X3, '95 M3, '89 MkI
What he said.

Plus you don't mention mileage which is very a important part. What maintenance has been done during the last 8 years? Can you describe what you refer as "funky noises"?
I find all these more of annoyances than serious problems.

Sometimes we expect too much out of our X3's, and don't realize than they are getting old, and stuff will fail. Maintenance is the key.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
+2! The sunroof is a money pit -- close it up and forget about it. The rest of the car is, as stated, getting old and stuff will go wrong. Start saving your sixpences and start looking for a replacement, non of these last forever.
Old 02-15-2012, 06:28 PM

Mein Auto: 04 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I unplugged the motor and left it so we can at least still open the fabric. The engine was serviced last week and the gasket was replaced but the mechanic said that the CCV was starting to go and it may leek again. the rear end noise is sort of 2 noises. the first sounds like bearings going bad and the other is sort of like a wobbly churning kind of noise (thats the best way i can think to describe it) that comes in around 15-20 mph
Old 02-21-2012, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: E83 3.0i Petrol.
Had the same problem with my 2005 X3.
Tried the reset procedure. Turn the ignition key to stage 1, then push and hold the sun roof button and keep your finger on it. the roof will go through all its positions, once it has done all of these it should have reset....then you can take you finger off the button.
This worked for me.... and i've had no problems since.

Hope this helps solve one problem at least??

Steve.
Old 04-18-2013, 07:35 PM

Mein Auto: 1999 528I
No sunroof! That's enough not buy one.