Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 04-16-2013, 04:13 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 525i
Unhappy Another Tail Light Mystery

I've read several of the tail light issues on the forum for E34s, but can't seem to find the answer to my issue. I have the "tail light" and the "brake light" warning coming on in my display up front, but here's the problem. The brake lights work fine, both sides, but the left side "tail lights" will not come on. The backup lights work, the left turn signal light works fine, but when I turn on the headlights, the "tail lights" [just the running lights] on the left side do not come on. I understand all three should be lit to some degree, but I could be wrong about that. It appears that all three light up on the right side when the head lights are turned on. The right side tail lights are fine. I examined the "harness wires" going into the left side and don't see any breaks in any of the four wires running into the left rear light section. The plug that holds the four wires running into he unit looks ok too, no obvious corrosion or the like. I can't figure out how to find the culprit wire, or whatever it is. Thanks brothers. Looking forward to some help on this one. I'm startin' to get pissed, and that's not like me.
Advertisement
Old 04-16-2013, 05:50 PM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Regarding the brake light warning, if the wear sensor contacted the disc, it HAS to be replaced or you will get the error message.

Not sure on the tail light issue if the wiring loom looks okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 04-17-2013, 05:19 AM
The Ornery Old Man

Mein Auto: GTI
Relax, it is a 20 year old car. If the lights work, ignore the message (I do). There is a chance that a replacement LKM would cure it. Or, you can open yours up and fix the broken solder joints.
'98 750iL '86 325(e)/5
'95 740iL '84 318i/5
Old 04-17-2013, 05:30 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mine did the exact thing and I replaced the brake light switch on the pedal , and the intermittent brake / tail light msytery disappeared for good .

Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App
Old 04-18-2013, 05:58 PM

I'm Trying!!

OK, so I checked the harness; no signs of broken wires. I checked the LKM/LCM and there are no obvious breaks, cracks, or the like in those solder connections. Actually it looks like the board I have may be a replacement because it's pretty clean for a 1995.

The brake lights light up when I'm braking, and the left turn signal light works when I'm turning. Just the "running lights" or "tail lights" won't light up when I turn on the headlights for night running. I feel like the "baffled King composing haleluljia" boys!

Any thoughts of where to go next? I remember someone saying something like disconnect each wire to the tail light assembly, and check to see what effect each has on the rear lights. But I can't figure our how to get into the plug that the wires connect into the rear light assembly. Is there a separate power supply wire runs when the headlights are activated? Is that explained in the Bentley manual, which I have? Sure as hell can't find it.

I appreciate your help!
Old 04-19-2013, 08:57 AM

Problem solved. The "tail light" had overheated and burnt the socket/holder for the lamp, so contacts were not fitting correctly into the tail light assembly. Proved this by inserting the other light assembly piece. All is well, and thanks for the several suggestions.
Old 05-21-2013, 03:07 PM

Talking Brake Light Switch on Pedal

Quote:
Originally Posted by supertech777 View Post
Mine did the exact thing and I replaced the brake light switch on the pedal , and the intermittent brake / tail light msytery disappeared for good .

Sent from my Desire HD using Bimmer App
Looks like I need to do this with my 95 525i. How big a deal is this job? I'm not a buffoon, but I'm also not the world's greatest auto tech guy. And where can I find the procedure for this little project? Thanks everyone.

Wwood44299.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 91 525i
I had that same problem on my 91 e34, I picked up a few brake light switches from the local junk yard, remove the kick panel under the steering column and the switch should be right there mounted to a brace. I noticed that certain models of the e34 family can have different switch types. Also check that the wattage of your bulbs are low, as for higher wattage creates more heat that will melt the slot where the bulb plugs in causing a problem there !!!
Good luck with that ...