Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

View Poll Results: So far, does your X1 meet your expectations?
Below Expectations 6 7.32%
Meets Expetations 19 23.17%
Exceed Expectations 30 36.59%
I'm still waiting for my X1! 27 32.93%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-31-2013, 04:42 PM

Mein Auto: X1 i28 xdrive
Exceeds Expectations

I am loving this car!!! 500 mile so far.
Old 04-18-2013, 06:23 AM

Mein Auto: X1 28i xDrive
Love ASS

Don't know why people dislike the auto start stop feature. Down here in South West Florida, where the lights take an eternity to change, turning off the engine sure makes a lot of sense. If components wear out prematurely, so be it, it's leased anyway.

I guess everyone has their hot buttons with cars. I hate the GPS and radio. Worst upgrade I've ever paid for.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:50 AM

Mein Auto: BMW x1 xdrive28i
I'm still waiting for mine, but during the test drive I was amazed how well the n20 + ZF 8HP completely ignored the claimed curb weight. 3700lbs? bah whatever, just hit the petal on the right and go!

The handling was great in spite of the ride height and run-flats. If you look in the engine bay you can see that the engineers took great care to keep the weight of the engine off the front axle which really helps the car feel light and nimble, which makes the choice of tall springs and run-flats all the more sad. It's like training your butt off for the 100 meter hurdles only to show up for the track meet in work boots and have 3 alarm chili for breakfast.

Without living with the car for awhile, I won't say I necessarily dislike anything, but the degree in which software and electronics run the car does cause some concern. I'd hate for the car to be rendered un-driveable because some sensor somewhere malfunctions.

On the subject of too much electronics, I don't see how automatic climate control is a luxury or premium feature. A 2003 Hyundai Accent had a dial for temperature, and another for fan speed, plus very few buttons, and for all my complaints about that car, the AC wasn't one of them. I'm not sure waiting for a bunch of sensor's committee meeting to adjourn only to misinterpret my environmental wishes is going to make my driving life better. Well, anyway, I wait at least a 1000 miles before praising or ranting on this stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickkassem View Post
Many many years ago there was an article in one of the auto magazines that explained why we all were adjusting our mirrors incorrectly. Several years ago, there was an article in the AAA Magazine that pretty much said the same thing. If the mirrors are adjusted properly, there is not going to be a blind spot. I mean while the car is moving forward. It is very strange when you first set you mirrors this way and I bet it will take weeks to get used to it but it does work.
Ah yes! That was a big help many years ago when I drove an MX5 since with the tent up, the rear quarter visibility was abhorrent.
Old 04-18-2013, 10:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by annoyingmouse View Post
and have 3 alarm chili for breakfast.
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:20 AM

Mein Auto: Soon -X1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perlova View Post
Don't know why people dislike the auto start stop feature. Down here in South West Florida, where the lights take an eternity to change, turning off the engine sure makes a lot of sense. If components wear out prematurely, so be it, it's leased anyway.

I guess everyone has their hot buttons with cars. I hate the GPS and radio. Worst upgrade I've ever paid for.
I actually am a bit shocked to know people use the ASS feature in areas such as SoFlo and Texas. My experience with it is that it tends to have an adverse effect on the AC.

As for people having issues with the ASS, I think those people may not like the fact that it may (in some instances) produce throttle lag as the system powers back up and gets ready to move. I haven't seen it yet... but then again I am not any where close to finishing the break in period. I know in high metropolitan areas with constant stop and go traffic I turn it off only because the constant starting and stopping isn't good for MPG nor the other parts. In the burbs or areas such as you describe with longer lights I'm all for using it.
Old 04-19-2013, 05:38 AM

Mein Auto: BMW x1 xdrive28i
According to the manual, ASS is conditional, one condition being that the AC must be sufficiently charged for the given climate setting. If you been driving awhile and hit a stop light the AC should still be able to blow cool air for a while, but if you've just turned on the car after sitting, and you've got the max AC button pressed, ASS won't work.

Should be the same with the heater, no ASS if the engine's cool. No ASS if the battery's not charged. No ASS if the starter or alternator is malfunctioning.

It's not vulgar if it's a donkey or an acronym.

Quote:
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
LOL, athletes should stick with 2 or less on competition day.

Last edited by annoyingmouse; 04-19-2013 at 05:40 AM.
Old 04-19-2013, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: X1 x28i; 128i; S2000
ASS also disables when ambient temps are below 37F. I've never had a problem with the car not being cooled by the AC because of ASS.
Old 04-23-2013, 11:30 AM

Mein Auto: 14 X1 x28i MSport, Miata
Quote:
Originally Posted by X1-tahoe View Post
7. Manual shifting is counter intuitive. Am I nuts? I went into manual and down shifted to a lower gear for a hill, but moving the shifter towards me actually goes to a higher gear. Is this normal? Did they mess up my car?
This is normal and lots of people get confused by it. The origin of 'push down, pull up' is from race cars with sequential shift sticks where the driver is under lots of G forces both braking and accelerating. When braking the driver is thrust forward by the force and pushing the stick forward is easy but pulling it back would be difficult, and the opposite is true for acceleration.

That standard got moved into passenger cars.