Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 11-22-2012, 12:02 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Trans failsafe prog - wont start

My BMW was idling and trans failsafe prog came on with the battery light. I shut the car off and went to restart but it would not. The battery is brand new. It won't start in neutral and when gears are change it does not light up in the dash anymore. Ideas?
Advertisement
Old 11-22-2012, 04:00 PM
Drivin' the dream

Mein Auto: 2005 BMW X5 & 2007 Z4 si
Try disconnecting the battery for 20 minutes and see if that resets everything. I know it's a pain, but the least expensive thing to try first. You will have to re-inintialize everything. Instructions can be found on the web. Note that the sunroof initialization, (l learned from the dealer and never found on the web) is completed by pushing in the sunroof button and holding it until the sunroof completely cycles open and closed. Takes a minute or two so don't take you finger off the button.

2007 3.0si w/Sport Pkg, Navi, Leather, Strut brace, garage door opener and delete airbag warnings on sun visors
Old 11-22-2012, 04:30 PM

Disconnecting the battery did not do anything. Same thing happens. Turn the key and everything comes on (heat, start up warning lights, fasten seat belts) but engine does not turn over. The S is lot up like when in sport mode, but it is not.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:07 PM
Drivin' the dream

Hmm. Are you certain the battery is fully charged? If you have a voltmeter, check battery voltage with key off, and also while trying to crank the engine. The battery should show more than 12.5 volts if it is fully charged with the key off and if the voltage drops below 9-10 volts while cranking (or while trying to crank), that is a sign of a weak or discharged battery (I know you said it is new) and could cause all of the electrical gremlins that you are experiencing. If not a low battery, then that is pretty much all of the straightforward, no cost diagnostics that I know.

2007 3.0si w/Sport Pkg, Navi, Leather, Strut brace, garage door opener and delete airbag warnings on sun visors
Old 11-22-2012, 05:17 PM
Drivin' the dream

I killed the battery on my X5 a few years ago because I left my SAT Radio unit plugged into the cigarette lighter all weekend. It would not accept a charge so I had to replace it. I put the new battery in, did all of the initialization tasks and everything seemed fine. I drove the car back to the parts store to turn in my old battery and when I got back into my car and started it; I got the Trans Failsafe error message. I immediately turned the engine off, waited a minute and restarted it. Everything was back to normal and it has never happened again. My theory was that the old battery was so worn, I noticed the dome lights were much, much brighter with the new battery, that the stored sensor values changed with the new, stronger battery and it tripped a code. Once reset, everything was fine. That's my theory for what it is worth.

Old 11-23-2012, 07:57 AM

The battery has 12.1 v. Nothing seems dimmer than normal. I called the dealer this morning and they think alternator. However, since park or neutral do not light up on the dash when engaged, could it be neutral safety switch? Thanks.
Old 12-20-2012, 02:25 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 4.4, BMW 740iL
hello bmwownerx5,
whats the make of your x5, if it is 4.4i, disconect the ABS Module wire, everything will work fine, if it is 3.0i im still looking for the solution, because i have the same problem with trans fail safe prog
Old 12-20-2012, 05:54 AM

It's the 3.0. The problem was the range gear selector/neutral safety switch located inside the transmission. Not sure if the two were related but the Ebox fan also needed replacement. It was continuously blowing a fuse and causing all the lights on the dash to come on
Old 12-24-2012, 05:09 AM

Mein Auto: Every WhErE
Buy a cheap scan tool from your local auto store and look for a code to play with. I had a trans fail safe and it ended up being a solenoid in the trans. Not that hard to fix, just a pain n the but and about $500 to do your self for one solenoid
Old 04-19-2013, 04:27 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x5 4.6is
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmwownerx5 View Post
The battery has 12.1 v. Nothing seems dimmer than normal. I called the dealer this morning and they think alternator. However, since park or neutral do not light up on the dash when engaged, could it be neutral safety switch? Thanks.
Hi battery at 12.1 is not really right should be at 12.65 or higher was just watching on you tube and I am an electrical engineer and it was interesting watching
when x5 is turning over it battery level should not drop down below 10v ish is it drops lower then there is a prob

eg from a chart they where showing
batt 100% = 12.65
batt 50 % = 12.25

cant really rem the exact figures but it was interesting watching static battery at 12.1 yes .. its not right first port of call check it out on u tube
and let us know how u get on
Old 05-07-2013, 08:53 PM

Mein Auto: E36 M3
I belive its your IVM module which is common on X5's
Old 05-10-2013, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: x5 3.0
Check your air intake hose. This happen to me and the car wouldn't until I tighten it up