Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 04-14-2013, 09:29 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F02
Hello from Vancouver, Canada.

Hello all:

First off, pardon the username, that's the closest I could get to my name In hindsight it kinda sound funny.

I have been reading on this forum for a couple weeks now and decided to introduce myself. You guys and gals are a great bunch by the way. Quite an active F01/F02 forum.

I moved on from my 1997 E38 last year with the purchase of an 09 750Li. The F02 has more gadgets than I thought. I have had some minor issues fixed under the factory warranty and a little more than minor issue (carbon build-up) recently fixed under factory warranty as well.

I love the car a lot, although I have only put 2,000 kilometers in the last 6 months of ownership. I just use the car back and forth to work. I am not so happy with some of the factory settings and plan to do some coding with some help from here in the future to fix that. My knowledge on coding is limited to DIS, Ediabas and Progman for my E38, but the F01 is a totally different beast.

I have read many post from "shawnsheridan" to "f01driver" amongst others regarding coding of the F01/F02. As a matter of fact, I just ordered the cable from one of "f01driver" post yesterday. Then I will be on the hunt for software.

I am looking forward to sharing my knowledge with all of you here. Looks like you guys are a great bunch of folks. Keep it up.

Cheers,

Ramesh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	May 36.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	371368   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0725.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	371369   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image 1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	371370  
Ads by Google
Old 04-14-2013, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 750I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjamslam View Post
Hello all:

I moved on from my 1997 E38 last year with the purchase of an 09 750Li. The F02 has more gadgets than I thought. I have had some minor issues fixed under the factory warranty and a little more than minor issue (carbon build-up) recently fixed under factory warranty as well.
Welcome to the forum. Where was the carbon build up, what were the symptoms and how was it diagnosed?
Old 04-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Gib mir Feurschutz!

Mein Auto: 2013 750i
Welcome!

We have proof you don't all live in igloos hahah kidding!

Nice colo(u)r, space grey metallic? Looks good!

As said above could you elaborate on the carbon buildup issue?

Chris

2013 BMW 750i - Coded, Executive, Lighting, Cold Weather, M Sport, M 303 Wheels, 5% Tint, Conti DWS Tires, 3M Bra, Vinyl Black Gloss Roof Wrap, Exhaust Flap Mod.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwanes View Post
Welcome to the forum. Where was the carbon build up, what were the symptoms and how was it diagnosed?
With regards to carbon build-up symptoms, I might not be the best person to answer this, as coincidence will have it, en route on an unscheduled visit to the dealer I noticed that my car behaved rather strange.

Normally, if I am driving alone, I have a tendency to have the radio off and listen to the engine purr
On my way to pick some rubber mats at the dealer I noticed that the car had a "dead spot" under acceleration. I felt as if the car had trouble shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear. It happened at every take-off at every traffic light. I thought something was wrong with the transmission. Since I was at the dealer, I decided to bring it up with my Service Advisor. I was lucky that I did, as I had about 6 weeks left on the factory warranty. I am not sure if my CPO would have covered that issue. Maybe it will but I never asked the Service Manager that question.

In the absence of any codes, they had a hard time initially locating the problem. Upon first inspection, the technician acknowledged that the engine was running a little rough (I never noticed it when I left it there). My guess is that my "dead spot" under acceleration was the beginning of the problem. In hindsight, their approach was to try the less expensive fix before moving on the more time consuming/expensive carbon build-up treatment with walnut blasting. He proceeded to replace the flex guibo (?), but that didn't solve it. Then he replaced all fuel injectors at no avail. Next was the replacement of crankcase ventilation rubber hoses. That still didn't fix the rough idle issue. The technician feeling was that it was a possible carbon build-up issue common with direct injection engines. But to order that treatment he needed BMW Canada's approval. They got in touch with BMW Canada and a regional rep flew down to have a look at it. He gave the OK, and then started the massive job! The carbon build-up was on the back of the intake valves.

The funny part is that I mentioned to my Service Advisor on a few occasions that I could feel the driver and passenger seat "vibrate" when I'm stopped at a light. It was a subtle vibration enough to be felt at both occupied front seats. I knew little (read nothing) about carbon build-up issue then on BMW engines. I said to myself "what a shame for a flagship car for BMW". I decided to live with it as my SA said they couldn't investigate more in the absence of any recorded fault codes. Don't ask me why they did later on, I have no idea. All I care is that the car got fixed without spending a dime, and I got to drive WOT (safely) on a loaner 2013 X3.

During my research to understand carbon build-up issue, that's how I stumbled on Bimmerfest. The issue itself is well documented online. If you would like to read about it, just "Google" "carbon build-up issue with BMW engines". There are lots of suggestion about using a higher flash point engine oil to adding an oil catch can. But if you already have that problem, you'll be in need of "walnut blasting". Unfortunately, most direct injection engines are prone to that problem. That's a fact we (direct injection engine owners) have to live with, until the engine design engineer at BMW applies a fix for it on future N63 engines.

Here's a clear explanation by Guildeenstern from "1addicts.com BMW 1 series Coupe forum"....

"It's a Direct Injection problem associated only with the Turbo Engines like the N54/N55/N20/N63 etc...
It's not a problem with the regular Naturally aspirated engines such as the 128's N52 (and or N51) Just use a top tier detergent gasoline or drop a bottle of techron in your tank regularly.
Our engines spray the detergent fuel onto the intake valves, where as in direct injection the fuel is mixed inside the cylinder and so the intake valves on DI engines can get fouled up by crank case re-circulation gas fed back into the intake".

Here are some other post regarding carbon build-up issues/fix:

http://www.edmunds.com/autoobserver-...-adopters.html
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=520035&page=2
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=carbon

I hope this answers your question about my carbon build-up issue fix.

Cheers,

Ramesh
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	371401  
Old 04-14-2013, 01:49 PM
OOO

Mein Auto: E90 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramjamslam View Post

....The F02 has more gadgets than I thought
I love this line

Welcome to the boards!!! You will definitely get a great deal of info here
Old 04-14-2013, 07:03 PM

Mein Auto: 11' 750i, 14' Bentley GTC
Nice car, I'm from vancouver as well...where did you purchase your car?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Bimmer App

Old 04-14-2013, 07:19 PM

BMW Langley.

Nice to see you are local. Love the black color on yours. We should hook up for lunch sometime. I'm in South Surrey area.
Old 04-14-2013, 08:16 PM
David

Mein Auto: E63 M6 & E92 335i
Very nice. The 7 looks excellent in Space Grey. Your E38 looked great as well.

2008 E63 M6 - Black Sapphire - Sepang Bronze Full Merino - Carbon Fiber Trim - Alcantera Headliner - SMG - HUD - Soft Close Doors - Comfort Access - Individual Audio w/Sat and HD Radio
2009 E92 335i - Black Sapphire - Black Dakota - Burl Walnut - Sport - Premium - Cold Weather - Navigation - L7 - Comfort Access - Smoker's Package

Member: BMWCCA #471614
Old 04-14-2013, 09:20 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 750 2012
Welcome!

Vancouver here as well, downtown and Coquitlam for the most part though.
Diamond DA40 XLS 2012

Past vehicles: BMW E38 740 1999, BMW E92 M3, Audi RS4 2007, Audi A8 2005, Mercedes S500 2001, Lexus LS400 1996, Lexus LS430 2003, Lexus SC400 1996, Acura NSX 1995, Toyota MR2 Turbo 1992, Honda S2000 2004, and just too many more to list
Old 04-18-2013, 12:52 AM

Mein Auto: 750li
Van city here as well
Old 04-18-2013, 11:33 AM
info@e92-lighting.com

Send a message via AIM to E92-Lighting Send a message via MSN to E92-Lighting Send a message via Yahoo to E92-Lighting Send a message via Skype™ to E92-Lighting
Mein Auto: 335i
congrats and welcome aboard

BMW CREE LED ANGEL EYES ALL BMW MODELS MTEC V3 V4 DTEC V6 V7 V8 V9 V10 NO ERROR
BMW ACCESSORIES and PARTS
BMW LED INTERIOR KITS
please PM/Email us for member discount/combo pricing
info@e92-lighting.com "e90post5" for 5% off as the promo code
Old 04-19-2013, 05:03 PM

Nice! More local owners/members here than my old E38 forum.