Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:53 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X5;2002 BMW 745i
Retrofitted/modified modules conflict with progamming

For those of us that have various modifications to the modules in our cars (newer iDrive controller, newer MMI, newer NAVI03)... you may have encountered errors when programming (replace incorrect modules) or the dealer may have told you this when you brought it in for service that requires programming. I was wondering if I have to simply unplug the modules or do I have to take the module out and put the stock one back in? Because some of my stock modules I have already sold or they will be a huge PITA to get to compared to just unplugging it. I'm using ISTA/P with ICOM A+B to try and program another module that is not related to the ones previously retrofitted.
Advertisement
Old 10-26-2013, 07:23 AM

Mein Auto: '05 745i / '10 X5 35d
Did you find a solution to this dilemma? I was considering an ISTA/P setup but have also replaced the MMI / Navi / TCU.
Currently I put in the old modules before sending to the Dealer, as I was expecting issues like you mentioned.

E65/E66 Parts for Sale:
Alpina Type 743 Front Spoiler complete retrofit kit (new in box) $1200
Old 10-26-2013, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X5;2002 BMW 745i
It is required to have one of the modules from the range of part numbers of the stock part installed or else it will realize the module is missing and refuse to proceed.
Old 10-26-2013, 03:40 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: Ford Pinto
I have Retro-Fitted a lot of parts in my car & I have not had any issue
at all when taking my car to the dealer for any service I have had done .
But I will say no programming is or was needed on my car since all my
cars modules are up to date ( Thanks to Tool 32 & Winkfp ) I have kept
my modules all up to the latest release ...

Old 12-26-2016, 09:12 AM

I thought I'd follow-up on this old thread, as I recently got ISTA/P v3.60 working with an ICOM. Continuing from my Post #2 above, I no longer have several of my original modules on my pre-facelift 745i:
MMI (Front Control Display) replaced w/ facelift
HVAC main board replaced w/ facelift so intensity control (low, med & high) would work w/ newer MMI
TCU replaced w/ TCU1.5 for Bluetooth support
NAVI02 replaced with NAVI03 to match graphics in newer MMI
CD Changer replaced with BMW iPOD interface
LM replaced with LM2
I also added an ACCII which did not exist on pre-facelift models.

Attached is the ISTA/P initial measures plan. Note that I did not have the latest I-level, as the last time my 745i was at a BMW Dealer was for the soft-close & comfort access programming campaign in 2013. The Ecu Tree shows a RED dot for each module it wants replaced, and a YELLOW dot for each module it wants programed (and likely coded). With Expert mode enabled you can right click each module in the Ecu Tree and ask for its measures to be canceled. I let the LM2 get re-programed as it was still using E60 software (one negative that WinKFP doesn't warn you when "comfort programming"). After asking for the final measures plan ISTA/P again indicated it needed those modules replaced, however it just asked if they were replaced while it was carrying out the final measures plan. It DID re-code each module that I said was replaced and therefor I lost any custom coding in those modules.

In the end my I-level was updated and LM2 module programmed with the correct software. As for the I-level update to E065-15-07-800, I cannot see what actually was changed to justify having the latest integration level...

Later I performed several conversions / retrofits and again ISTA/P asks for these same modules to be replaced. My conclusion is that I will get to re-do custom coding when doing any coding or programming via ISTA/P.

I welcome comments from anyone else who has ISTA/P experience!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ISTA P Action List for I-level Upgrade.pdf (47.2 KB, 27 views)
File Type: pdf Ecu Tree per ISTA P.pdf (60.6 KB, 39 views)

E65/E66 Parts for Sale:

Last edited by PAPER; 12-26-2016 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-26-2016, 03:09 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: Ford Pinto
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippjd View Post
I thought I'd follow-up on this old thread, as I recently got ISTA/P v3.60 working with an ICOM. Continuing from my Post #2 above, I no longer have several of my original modules on my pre-facelift 745i:
MMI (Front Control Display) replaced w/ facelift
HVAC main board replaced w/ facelift so intensity control (low, med & high) would work w/ newer MMI
TCU replaced w/ TCU1.5 for Bluetooth support
NAVI02 replaced with NAVI03 to match graphics in newer MMI
CD Changer replaced with BMW iPOD interface
LM replaced with LM2
I also added an ACCII which did not exist on pre-facelift models.

Attached is the ISTA/P initial measures plan. Note that I did not have the latest I-level, as the last time my 745i was at a BMW Dealer was for the soft-close & comfort access programming campaign in 2013. The Ecu Tree shows a RED dot for each module it wants replaced, and a YELLOW dot for each module it wants programed (and likely coded). With Expert mode enabled you can right click each module in the Ecu Tree and ask for its measures to be canceled. I let the LM2 get re-programed as it was still using E60 software (one negative that WinKFP doesn't warn you when "comfort programming"). After asking for the final measures plan ISTA/P again indicated it needed those modules replaced, however it just asked if they were replaced while it was carrying out the final measures plan. It DID re-code each module that I said was replaced and therefor I lost any custom coding in those modules.

In the end my I-level was updated and LM2 module programmed with the correct software. As for the I-level update to E065-15-07-800, I cannot see what actually was changed to justify having the latest integration level...

Later I performed several conversions / retrofits and again ISTA/P asks for these same modules to be replaced. My conclusion is that I will get to re-do custom coding when doing any coding or programming via ISTA/P.

I welcome comments from anyone else who has ISTA/P experience!
May I recommend that you do not listen to Ista when it tells you to program
your retrofitted Units ( Ask , TCU ,AT tuner , MMI ) you will regret it !!!
Old 12-26-2016, 05:13 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
Can you be more specific? What happens to your retrofitted modules when you program with ista?
Old 12-28-2016, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 745D View Post
Can you be more specific? What happens to your retrofitted modules when you program with ista?
The modules that ISTA/P says should not be in by 745i are recoded to their defaults based on my Vehicle Order (list of options). I tell ISTA/P that I've replaced them, but of course I do not in reality.
I suspect if I wasn't using Expert mode to remove the "measures" for these modules, ISTA/P would keep asking me to replace them with what it feels are the correct part numbers... and the Final Measures plan would never finish.

E65/E66 Parts for Sale:
Old 12-30-2016, 04:51 AM

I had a couple requests for more info in ISTA. The below PDF from 2011 gives an overview. The software has changed some since it was published, but the concepts are the same.
There are lots of good coding & programming forums out there to learn more...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 05a_ISTA.pdf (2.38 MB, 30 views)
Old 02-17-2017, 03:47 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippjd View Post
The modules that ISTA/P says should not be in by 745i are recoded to their defaults based on my Vehicle Order (list of options). I tell ISTA/P that I've replaced them, but of course I do not in reality.
I suspect if I wasn't using Expert mode to remove the "measures" for these modules, ISTA/P would keep asking me to replace them with what it feels are the correct part numbers... and the Final Measures plan would never finish.
I get a message in ISTA-P showing me modules that are installed and supposedly not in my vehicle order even though they are. It then says I can add these modules to the vehicle order through the vehicles tab, but when I select the vehicles tab I don't see an option to do that. Can you help me out with this?
Old 02-20-2017, 06:21 AM

I'm guessing the options you added are not supposed to be in your car. You may have successfully added the SA numbers to your Vehicle Order in the LMA and CAS modules, but BMW didn't intend those options to exist for your model year?
Or maybe those options only exist for non-USA spec E65/E66... hence your LMA and CAS would accept them, but ISTA/P doesn't expect to see them based on it's internal tables for US Spec cars.

The best example I have is the iPOD retrofit I did. Only supposed to exist for cars built 03/2005 or later, but my LMA and CAS modules let me add "IPOD" to the Vehicle Order. ISTA/P will always tell me I have the wrong ECU installed.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series & 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search