Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: E65
Smoking 2006 750i

After 3 years, problem solved! All you smoking N62 V8 owners take heart in the following post. My smoke issue began long ago after waiting in the idling car with A/C on (during FL summer) for approximately 20 minutes. When I drove off there was a mushroom cloud of light grey smoke, which stopped after a little regular driving. This problem occurred anytime the car was warmed up, and encountered prolonged idling (long lights, traffic jams, etc.). Oil consumption has been high, but not obscene.
With 110K miles, I took the car to the stealership. They changed the CCV valve assemblies, which did not help. They further said that the engine would need to be torn down to replace the valve guides and valve stem seals. No Thanks! After discussing issue with my independent mechanic, he said to live with the embarrassment, and just add more oil. It’s cheap. The repair job is complex and expensive, and not worth it for a car with such mileage. He and others have reported that this engine is prone to this problem: the valve guides wear out quicker than the rest of the engine parts. Replacing the valve stem seals can help, but that job is extensive enough that you may as well go all the way and replace the guides, where the root of the problem lies – NOT TRUE IN MY CASE!
Yesterday, with renewed motivation to resolve the issue or replace the car, I conducted a simple test. I know oil is getting into the combustion chamber, and a lot of it when manifold pressure is low (i.e. at idle), so I went looking for causes upstream from the head. I removed, cleaned and reassembled the CCV valves. The orange rubber diaphragms were in good shape (confirming the stealership actually replaced them), but there was good cause for cleaning. I then removed the vent pipe, and it broke in my hand (see picture).

The pipe was dirty, and it contained fresh oil. Only the heavy insulation was holding the brittle plastic pipe intact. My probing figure then confirmed fresh oil in the intake manifold at the vent pipe opening (pictured below).

HERE IS THE TEST: I sealed this opening with a rubber boot from a bar stool leg (fit perfectly), and ran the engine at idle for ˝ hour with the CCV vents open on the top of the valve covers: NO SMOKE. I revved the engine after lengthy intervals and confirmed not a bit a visible smoke. The engine actually idles well (this is how pre-smog engines operated). The revving was a little rougher as the air meter sensor was removed and engine was sucking unfiltered air – but good enough to affect the test. In the picture below, you can see small amount of blow-by gases coming out of the CCV vents at a very normal rate, and rubber boot plug on the intake manifold.

Blocking the CCV vents with my thumbs for just a second confirmed the presence of slight positive pressure in the crankcase – normal. This test concludes that my oil burner was being supplied through the intake manifold, not the valve guides.
I’m not sure whether the stealership made a good or poor installation of the CCV diaphragms, but I recommend they be removed, inspected, and cleaned in this manner in regular intervals (such as oil changes). Also inspect the condition and seal of your vent pipe, and replace any of them that show any signs of deterioration (these are cheap parts - $55 vent pipe, $30 CCV diaphragms, and easily replaced by even a novice DIY). There’s more to the CCV System (cleaning vent channels underneath of valve covers, gaskets, oil separators in timing cases, etc.), but these are the weak links and they’re easy to get at.

If you conduct this test and have no smoke, it’s a crankcase ventilation system issue, not a valve guide or stem seal problem. Remember: the valve train, guides and related engine parts are advanced, highly-engineered pieces of German metal machinery; the entire Crankcase Ventilation System is a bunch of rubber and cheap plastic tubing. Common sense would indicate the latter has a far greater chance of failure. I plan to report again after monitoring rate of oil consumption. Bottom line: 160K and I will keep the car! Runs like a champ, and I never rode in a more comfortable car.

Thanks to all of you posters on various subjects that are informative, and have motivated me. -BMWbaffoon
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bad CCV plumbing.jpg
Views:	1985
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	369045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oil at intake manifold.jpg
Views:	2134
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	369046   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine - plugged CCV intake.jpg
Views:	2254
Size:	163.2 KB
ID:	369047  
Ads by Google
Old 03-31-2013, 10:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06' 750Li/His 06' X5/Hers
Nice write up.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: X3 xDrive35i & 350Z TT
Nice post. Thx.
Old 03-31-2013, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745LI
Nice job but I have to ask you think the others that had the same smoke problem this also would have help solve their problem?
Old 03-31-2013, 07:41 PM

For DIY-ers who have been told they have bad valve guildes or valve stem seals (huge expense), this simple test can be done in the driveway in 1/2 hour and it's conclusive. I believe there are many more sucking oil in through the CCV vent pipe than there are engines requiring valve work.

thankx
Old 04-01-2013, 04:09 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
I know it seems unrelated but Mustang owners have had a similar problem.I have not done much research on there fix but from what I understand the Mustang owners have devised a oil mist separator.Looks like what would be used on a paint system.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:08 AM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Bmw has a new design on this pipe with better insulation around it so it doesn't dry rot so fast! If I remember correctly its a 2 piece pipe now!!!
Old 04-01-2013, 06:37 AM

thnaks, OTQ: That's good news. I've ordered the replacement and temporarily using old one bound by duct tape
Old 04-01-2013, 08:06 AM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
What is involved in doing the valve stem seals (a decent patch for the problem): DIY - Valve stem seal replacement - smoking / burning oil at idle
What is involved in replacing the valve guides and seals (repair the root cause): DIY - E65 Alpina B7 - Supercharger / intake manifold / valve cover / head removal

The issue in the above links is that the valve guides (brass, I think) are the sacrificial wear items surrounding the valve stem; they wear, get sloppy, and allow a little wobble in the valve -- there is a little blurb in TIS about measuring the amount of wobble, and what the tolerance is. According to the machine shop that I took the B7's head to (to press in new valve guides) it happens mostly on the exhaust valves because of their angle.

Replacing the valve stem seals alone is no small task - there are a few others here on the board who have done theirs as well; I think Rahulk is boxing his back up currently, or may have finished - but it's possible to do. If you have a lift and can drop the engine out the bottom you may be able to finish faster, otherwise no real words of wisdom here, it just plain sucks to do it.

I do truly hope you have luck with your fixes mentioned above; if not, I just wanted to give you information about what is involved and why you'd have a high shop bill. If you do have this issue, one approach could be buying an aftermarket warranty, just sucking it up and having it smoke until the warranty coverage begins, then having them fix it.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 04-01-2013, 12:02 PM

Thanks. I reviewed that exact report on how to replace the valve stem seals prior to calling my mechanic. If you're removing the whole camshaft assemly to get at the seals, removing the heads themselves to replace the guides is not much more work. You can then do both with the heads off, and not have to worry about pressurizing the cylinders to hold the valves closed, or dropping retainers into the crankcase.

I see your point on how the exhaust side is more vulnerable as there's much higher temperature exposure on this side. There would not be, however, any oil burning associated from the wear in these guides as there is never vacuum on the exhaust guide to draw oil into the cylinder - only positive or equal pressure.

Unfortunately for me, I am also the victim of warranty scam: Warranty Direct...Beware. I hired a lawyer to pursue - not worth the cost. They are no longer approved to write insurance in Florida. They scammed everyone. I doubt they ever paid a legitimate claim.
Old 04-01-2013, 01:34 PM

Mein Auto: 750Li
Fix?

I am not sure I understand the fix if the above is true? Are you suggesting to clean the CCV's or replace if torn?
How does cleaning the CCV’s stop the oil from getting up into the intake? Are the dirty CCV’s letting oil by that flows through the tubes to the intake?
What would happen if you where to cap off all three openings. Would the car run the same, but just not recirculate the gasses from the valve covers back into the intake? Or would the valve covers build up too much pressure?

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2013, 04:28 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
Capping valve cover off would cause pressure to build I think,maybe blowing seals?Maybe could put an open vent with filter as in how most hotrods are setup.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 750Li
I hear ya... All that would happen is the blow by gas would not get reused... A little worse for the enviroment.

I get the small puff of blue when sitting at a light for a couple mins. I am willing to give this test a shot!!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:36 AM

Mein Auto: 750i Sport
This is useful information. My x5 has the same exact issue but the dealer performed the intermediate lever repair 15k before I bought it and had the heads out of the car. I saw that valve guides and all the eccentric shaft stuff was done but can't find a receipt for valve stem seals (which I can't see them not changing while they performed the other work). My hoses look old and brittle so reading this is someone of a relief. I ordered the hoses and valves and will be changing them tonight.

Thanks!
Old 04-16-2013, 07:51 AM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by 525iT_Feen View Post
This is useful information. My x5 has the same exact issue but the dealer performed the intermediate lever repair 15k before I bought it and had the heads out of the car. I saw that valve guides and all the eccentric shaft stuff was done but can't find a receipt for valve stem seals (which I can't see them not changing while they performed the other work). My hoses look old and brittle so reading this is someone of a relief. I ordered the hoses and valves and will be changing them tonight.

Thanks!
I love that X5!

'11 328i
'07 Audi A8 (w/ 20,000 miles)
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold & new owner totaled it 4 hours later)
Old 04-16-2013, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 750LI / 2012 2500HD
I really hope that fixes it for you. I just replaced the valve seals in mine and I can tell you from looking at the old seals and new the seals bmw used get really hard. You can do that same test by having the car running and you should have vacuum on the dipstick tube. This issue is not limited to just the 7 anything that has the n62 and n72 engine.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:27 AM

Reporting back

Quote:
Originally Posted by First_745Li View Post
I love that X5!
Thank you. I do too haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc0508 View Post
I really hope that fixes it for you. I just replaced the valve seals in mine and I can tell you from looking at the old seals and new the seals bmw used get really hard. You can do that same test by having the car running and you should have vacuum on the dipstick tube. This issue is not limited to just the 7 anything that has the n62 and n72 engine.
Well like I mentioned before I'm almost 100% sure my seals were done when the heads were out for intermediate lever repair. With that said, I performed the work yesterday when I got home from work. I changed both hoses (with updated insulated BMW hoses) and both valves. The inlet to the intake was FILTHY and gunked up with oil which I cleaned out as much as I could. The hoses weren't brittle but were clogged with oil pretty bad. I warmed the car up for about ten minutes and it blew out quite a bit of smoke (left over) but after driving it around lightly last night and beating on it REALLY hard this morning I can happily say I think I With that said, I performed the work yesterday when I got home from work. I changed both hoses (with updated insulated BMW hoses) and both valves. The inlet to the intake was FILTHY and gunked up with oil which I cleaned out as much as I could. The hoses weren't brittle but were clogged with oil pretty bad. I warmed the car up for about ten minutes and it blew out quite a bit of smoke (left over) but after driving it around lightly last night and beating on it REALLY hard this morning I can happily say I think I conquered the problem (hope I didn't jinx that).

Thanks to AndreNY for sending me this thread and to BMWbaffoon for posting it. I will be sharing my experiences on Xoutpost because we have several members experiencing the same problem.

Part #'s I used:
11 61 7 547 186 x1
11 61 7 547 185 x1
11 12 7 547 058 x2

Labor Time: 10 minutes

Powerfoam works really well for getting oil and crud off engine covers FYI:
the problem (hope I didn't jinx that).

Last edited by 525iT_Feen; 04-17-2013 at 06:46 AM.
Old 04-17-2013, 08:04 PM
TTurboFest

Mein Auto: F02 (750Li)
Good info here , might change mine just for preventive maintenance .
Pic above are for the new parts you bought ?
Options: Camera Pkg, Convinience Pkg, Driver asst, F&R Luxury Seating, Prem/Sound, Rear Entertainment, Sport Pkg, Massage rear seats, Ceramic Controls, Active Cruise, SmarthPhone Int., Night Vision, Head-UP Display, Sat, Leather Wrapped Dash&Doors.
(N54 E82 135i) JB4 ISO FBO, 434whp & 470wtq / Run Conditions 90.28 *F
Old 04-18-2013, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4XBMW7 View Post
Good info here , might change mine just for preventive maintenance .
Pic above are for the new parts you bought ?
The two top ones are the new parts and the hose right below is the old one.
Old 04-18-2013, 05:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745li
How hard is it to change those hoses for a rookie diyer?
Old 04-20-2013, 11:00 AM

Smoking 2006 750i

What did these parts cost? Here's the quote I got. Does it sound right?

Part #'s
11 61 7 547 186 x1 - $89.01
11 61 7 547 185 x1 - $89.98
11 12 7 547 058 x2 - $41.37/each

I think I'll call them on Monday when my contact is there for better pricing. Hold up... Those parts are for the 750... Oops!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

'11 328i
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S

Last edited by First_745Li; 04-20-2013 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:28 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0
Smoking 2006 750i

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndade View Post
They literally pop out and pop in, hardest to reach is under tb, and if ur swapping out the old Y hose u can cut it and when you use the new ones, they pop in place

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 04-23-2013, 06:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by First_745Li View Post
What did these parts cost? Here's the quote I got. Does it sound right?

Part #'s
11 61 7 547 186 x1 - $89.01
11 61 7 547 185 x1 - $89.98
11 12 7 547 058 x2 - $41.37/each

I think I'll call them on Monday when my contact is there for better pricing. Hold up... Those parts are for the 750... Oops!

Sounds right to me. Thats what I paid and crap your right.

750:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...30&hg=11&fg=15

I believe my numbers apply to 745s though.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:05 PM

Smoking 2006 750i

I think it's the same part number

'11 328i
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S

Last edited by First_745Li; 04-24-2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:41 AM

<>

'11 328i
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S