Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Bimmerfest 2014 > Previous Events > 2004 Events > Santa Barbara, CA - May 1

Santa Barbara, CA - May 1

Old 05-04-2004, 12:38 PM
i drive a rsx

Send a message via AIM to amercersx
Mein Auto: acura rsx
haha..he got off lucky. my friend and i drove by and saw him pulled over. before that our V1 went off like a mile ahead of time, gotta get a v1!
Old 05-04-2004, 03:39 PM
Drive Sideways

Send a message via AIM to Infamous
Mein Auto: 1995 Dakar M3, 89' E30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpahoy
Butthead is very well informed on the speed codes. Regarding the 103 in a 55, yes the guy ran out of tickets. I work with the guy and I talked to him yesterday about it. Its not unlike him to be out on the road with no tickets I hope no one got a picture of the Officer talking to the guy, I don't want to get replaced

LOL..yeah, thank him again for me. He scared me ****less when he told me to get out of the car and put my hands on the hood. LOL

Can the cop say no when a person asks to see his radar? My bro asked to see the radar, and the officer said no.

But yeah, im gettin a V1 in about a week.
Old 05-04-2004, 03:40 PM
In Driving Heaven

Mein Auto: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous
yup, you probably wouldnt beleive me even if i told you the story 10 times...
You looked pretty bemused as I was driving by and the officer was shaking your hand. Since both of you were grinning, I figured it wasn't going to be too bad. Thank your lucky stars and try not to do that again. Next time they'll remember to have plenty of tickets.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Mystic Blue 330i, SP, PP, Nav, Heated Seats, Step -- ED July 10, 2003
Old 05-04-2004, 05:26 PM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59473

Photobucket
Old 05-04-2004, 11:19 PM

Mein Auto: 330CI
My v1 was a great investment...haha, you blew by me and another black e36 m3 while we were messing around, we all had wide open road in that section, was crazy.
Old 05-05-2004, 11:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 88 e30 M3 81 e21 316
I got to talking with my buddy again last night about having run out of tickets prior to the stop. He wanted to make it look good by making you put your hands on top of your car when people went by. If you can't write 'em at least embarrass the hell out of 'em. He also told me (which is usually normal) that he had been advised of the large group of BMW's headed north so he just camped out and waited. Just keep that in mind when you think you want to volunteer to lead the pack Sometimes is best to be lost in the middle of everyone else (at 80 or 85)!
Old 05-05-2004, 11:36 AM
DHP pwns ZHP :p

Mein Auto: DHP Heehee... :p
Quote:
Originally Posted by chpahoy
I got to talking with my buddy again last night about having run out of tickets prior to the stop. He wanted to make it look good by making you put your hands on top of your car when people went by. If you can't write 'em at least embarrass the hell out of 'em. He also told me (which is usually normal) that he had been advised of the large group of BMW's headed north so he just camped out and waited. Just keep that in mind when you think you want to volunteer to lead the pack Sometimes is best to be lost in the middle of everyone else (at 80 or 85)!

Sometimes when I drive through my friend's beat, and I know he's working... I wonder if he'd try something like that just to mess with me... especially if I had a female passenger with me and totally embarass me...

Depending on what he feels like... I wouldn't be surprised if he does do it one day...

'03 330Ci DHP
'06 M3 SMG
"du hast mich gefragt, und ich hab nichts gesagt"
Old 05-05-2004, 03:45 PM
Brevity= the soul of wit

Mein Auto: You've*got*to be kidding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Know-It-All
If he used a radar to determin your speed then I do believe you have the right to see the actual readout on the radar to aide in your defense.
Depends on your state, county, or municipal laws. In Georgia for instance, you do NOT have the right to see the radar. Whether your state offers you that right or not, I would be very careful in your request to see the radar as my experience was that an officer in Georgia took great offense to my request for radar confirmation.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:56 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by PropellerHead
Depends on your state, county, or municipal laws. In Georgia for instance, you do NOT have the right to see the radar. Whether your state offers you that right or not, I would be very careful in your request to see the radar as my experience was that an officer in Georgia took great offense to my request for radar confirmation.
In general, seeing the reading of the radar gun does nothing for you but will only p*ss off the cop more. It is never a good idea to piss off the guy with a badge and a gun.

Just take the ticket, if you are going to fight it, file for discovery and get everything you need for trial. If you are fishing for a warning, asking to see the reading is a sure way of guaranteeing yourself a ticket.

Be nice to the cop, do things to lower his heart rate (fishing for your registration in the glovebox before asking for his permission is not one of them).
Old 05-05-2004, 07:09 PM
Drive Sideways

Send a message via AIM to Infamous
Mein Auto: 1995 Dakar M3, 89' E30

:lol: Priceless
Old 05-05-2004, 09:49 PM

Send a message via AIM to brian1225 Send a message via MSN to brian1225
Mein Auto: 2004 545iA
i should have with the speed i was doing look at pic below
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 217.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	29977  
ED 2007 550i Tit. Silver, Black Leather, Sport Pkg, Nav, Premium Sound Pkg, Comfort Access, Front Heated Seats, HD Radio, Fold Down Seats, Anthrcite Headliner, M Aero kit installed at VPC , H & R sport springs, 167 M6 wheels, M5 trunk spoiler, B & B exhaust
2004 545i silver gray black leather, NAV, Sports package, xenon, premium sound bmw buyback LEMON LAW
Old 05-07-2004, 05:28 PM
Victory is mine!

Mein Auto: 03' 330i ZHP, 04' 325ci
On this trip, my V-1 saved me twice from definate speeding tickets. My BMW ABS saved me my life from an emergency stopping scenario (2 lanes of cars suddenly stopped from 80mph to 0).

Thank god for technology.
Old 05-08-2004, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: E30 M3
Back to the asking for the radar reading though...

If the officer is calm you SHOULD ask, esp if you have a V1 and KNOW he did not get you on radar. But before you ask, make sure he has told you that he got your speed on radar. Just inquire in a very polite manner as to how he got the speed in question. If he DOES say radar, and the V1 is not going crazy in your car, then make sure you ask to see the reading. But if the officer is all pissed (it happens when the adrenaline gets flowing in a chase), just let it slide unless you KNOW the speed has not been reached legally. No need to piss him off any more.

I have asked before to see the radar reading when I believed the officer's claim to be a bit high. My V1 HAD gone off (instant on traveling the opposite direction, I was dead to rights), but I wanted to make sure that he was bumping the speed up a bit. He was very polite and curteous, asking me to carefully get out of the car and folloow him back to his cruiser where he would show me the reading. He pointed to the unit on yop of his dash board, and started telling me a bit about its operation. His point in this was to show me where the On button was and where the Lock button was, used to lock in the speed of the offender. He told me that in the time it took him reach from the On button to the Lock button I dropped 3mph, and continued to shed more speed very quickly, proving to him I had a detector. He advised me NOT to fight the ticket, since he had me and now we BOTH knew it.

4 BMW CCA AutoX Class wins, 3 Second places....and counting!