Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Do-It-Yourself H.Q.

Do-It-Yourself H.Q.
Share your DIY projects or ask questions about how to fix something on your own. Help fellow Bimmerfest members improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Old 03-23-2013, 10:07 AM

Mein Auto: 98 740il
I might be getting somewhere,FINALLY!!

I have been having the dreaded no crank problem but I think I might be getting close to an answer. What I am hoping some one can tell me what pin on the ews3 is the signal input to the dme or from what pins does the signal wire span between the dme and does anyone know a link to a pinout of the dme and ews . The reason I am asking is I ran a scan and it revealed dwa/ews wire fault input short circuit or interruption. I have several other codes as well but I am hoping that fixing that error will allow the car to turn over .Any help would be appreciated
Ads by Google
Old 04-21-2013, 08:08 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 e38. schwartzx2
Did you ever find an answer? I have the same problem.
Old 04-21-2013, 11:42 PM

Mein Auto: 98 740il
yes I did and for me at least,all I had to do was resync the dme with the ews via a bmw scan tool and adapter bought on ebay for total of 50 bucks or so. the software is really easy to understand and it does alot of other reprogramming modules as well. well worth the money. Good luck
Old 04-29-2013, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 525i
I have been fighting this same battle for four months with my 2001 525i. No crank, no spark, no start. Replaced ignition switch, and starter. Was intermitent problem, that became more frequent, til finally nothing. Fuses all seem ok, cannot find starter relay. It is NOT behind glove box. The slot where ALL literature says it should be is empty. I did finally find EWS, also not where any literature I could find said it should be. It turned up under instrument panel to the left of steering column. Mounted next to a relay I cant identify(starter relay????) All leads to EWS show normal voltage, EXCEPT #1, the wire that is supposed to go from EWS to starter relay. I only have the one key. The buttons stopped working long ago. I have read about EWS bypass/delete I think this is my only shot. Local BMW dealership is staffed with pompous morons and I will NEVER return there much less give them one thin dime more. (They had a hard time getting the car to crank to return it to me after charging me $850 to replace starter plus $145 diagnostic fee??!!!) Two shops have now given up one of which is pretty experienced with BMWs. Any input is welcome. I am at the end of my rope, and I cannot affor to throw any more $$$ at this problem. The $1500 or so I have coughed up thus far has not solved squat. Did your problem start as an intermitent thing , or did it just stop?? I am not able to determine if my EWS is shot , or it is just not recognizing the key.