Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 04-21-2013, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto:
Coolant Leak, Again. Found but How?

Hey - I found the leak and the good news is the car never overheated. Just a large puddle after the car sat for an hour or so. I want to try and replace this myself but have no idea how to get into this tight space. I have the Bentley manual on-line. Anyone that can give me an idea of where to attack this from would be appreciated. Posting 2 pics to show the hose.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	close view hose '92 525.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	372465   Click image for larger version

Name:	wide view ,92 525.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	372466  
Advertisement
Old 04-21-2013, 09:14 AM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Basically, there are three options. One is to remove the alternator coolant duct (and possibly the alternator itself) and see if you can snake your hand in there to replace the hose. This is the cheapest, but least desirable and perhaps hardest choice depending on whether or not you can get your hand in there. Second is to remove the intake manifold and replace the one hose. This is the next cheapest option because you will need to purchase the intake manifold. This may be easier though. The third option is the best if you plan to keep the car. That would be to remove the intake manifold and replace all of the coolant hoses in there at one time. Since the one hose has let go, then the others are likely not far behind.

I have never pulled the intake manifold (luckily I've never had to) and it looks rather daunting, but others here have done it and I don't remember them ever saying it was terrible to do.

Good luck in whichever option you chose.

BTW, if you do remove the intake manifold, then I highly recommend cleaning the idle control valve (ICV).

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Last edited by BMR_LVR; 04-21-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 10:41 AM

Mein Auto:
BMW_LVR -

Thanks for the reply. A new $10 1/4" swivel on a 6mm socket did the trick without removing much. Always love an opportunity to buy more tools, even if it's just a Craftsman socket.
Now I have to wait til Monday to check a few indy shops for the hose. Thought about cutting off about 2" as the break was near the clamp, but I'll wait and fix it once correctly. The other hoses have been replaced within the past year so they should be ok.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:02 PM

Mein Auto:
Where do I find part numbers for these hoses. Went through the Bentley Manual and on-line at real.oem and couldn't find it. I want to make sure I'm not getting taken if/when I find them local. thanks in advance.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:14 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 525
Main diagrams :

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partgrp.d...id=47404&hg=11

Sub diagrams :

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...13&hg=11&fg=35

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...61&hg=11&fg=35

+1 on changing the big main hose if you want to keep the car and it has not been changed before. Of course, that means intake manifold off. That means new intake and throttle body gaskets at a minimum.

If you do that, along with cleaning the ICV, suggest you change that coolant temperature sensor too its just $20 at Autohauz bosch, and if you have not changed your crank sensor before Autohauz has a superb deal on a Meyle cps something like under $40 Larrick bought this recently they have some deal going. And the ccv and fuel pressure regulator vacuum hose too just a few bucks each. Everything becomes a 5-15 minute job with the manifold out of the way.

If you have more than 200k miles I would take the chance to put in a new or rebuilt starter. Starters are cheap these days around $100 or less even for oem. Effortless job with the manifold out of the way. .

Last edited by allenbee; 04-21-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:20 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: 525
Can't save money with this car, but you can save alot of time and enormous stress if you do anticipatory repair by grouping things together.

Last edited by allenbee; 04-21-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:31 AM

Mein Auto:
I fixed this this morning when the parts department openend up and I go the hose I needed.
Last Question on this thread. I posted a few weeks back about my check engine light going on and off for about 10 miles but nothing ever happened. Couldn't get the stomp test ever to work and it happened again the other night right before this hose failure. Would the check engine light come on if there was a pin hole or small tear that was beginning to fail and maybe letting air into the system? The rest of the car is great as a dd. 306,000 miles and counting. Some rust in the usual places but the pride of ownership is unequaled.