Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 10-15-2012, 06:45 AM
2013 BMW X3 35i Sport Pkg

Mein Auto: 2013 BMW X3 35i
Reprogram auto start/stop memory

There is a service bulletin that indicates the auto start/stop can be reprogrammed to remember the last setting. When I contacted my dealer about having this done he indicated it could only be done for one key.

If anyone else has had this done, was this your experience? This seems ridiculous to me. At worst, they should just have to step through the process for each key, if it applies at the key level.

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2012, 08:16 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Through coding this feature can be enabled for the vehicle. I don't believe it is key specific but I can check tonight for you.

When coding, it takes all of 15 minutes to connect the laptop to the car and code the required changes.

The BMW dealership typically require 4-5 hours to apply an update and I personally think the excessive time quoted by dealers are just a way for the dealers to over bill the manufacturer.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:40 AM

Interestingly

The dealer indicated it would take one or two days to do this work. This seems difficult to believe, as I have read your comments and others before indicating the actual time to do this is small.

The reasons for the excessive time quote than I can see are:

1. They don't want to do it, so they are attempting to discourage you.
2. They don't know what they are doing.
3. They are attempting to jack up their billing to the manufacturer, as you suggested.
Old 10-15-2012, 09:46 AM

Maybe an option for you is to find someone in the Illinois area that can code the car for you or you could learn to code your own car yourself.

I was able to get everything I needed to code the car from one of the other members here.

Money well spent for me as I was able to make some other changes.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
If your good with accessing internal workings of program code, then you can honestly do this yourself and many other things.
If your not good with accessing internal workings of program code then:

1) as someone else said, find someone in your area. Look up all additional programming features you want enabled or disabled
2) or honestly if your looking for this one feature, than just rely on your dealer, and they should be enable to the car, the remotes are secondary devices that work off the cars built into program, not the other way around. Plus they don't do much besides, hooking the car up to a terminal computer that communicates with the central BMW server. They just hit prompts to enable update software on modules.

Regards

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 10-15-2012, 02:21 PM

Coding settings are retained with both keys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillini View Post
The dealer indicated it would take one or two days to do this work. This seems difficult to believe, as I have read your comments and others before indicating the actual time to do this is small.

The reasons for the excessive time quote than I can see are:

1. They don't want to do it, so they are attempting to discourage you.
2. They don't know what they are doing.
3. They are attempting to jack up their billing to the manufacturer, as you suggested.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:29 PM

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies.

I've seriously considered the coding option. I would want to purchase the cable and get the software on a blu ray or some media so I didn't have to download it. What's the cost for something like this, say hypothetically speaking?
Old 10-16-2012, 01:00 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3 xDrive20D 2012
I have driven my X3 now for 2500km. I mainly drive in heavy traffic for 15km a day and this is my observation.

Stops start consumes more fuel; as every stop is less than 4 seconds, the figure quoted to be the minimum you need to stop for a fuel saving to occur. So I did a controlled test, turns out having the system turned off is more fuel efficient.

I think the system is ineffective when you have to navigate slow moving traffic.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Quote:
Originally Posted by hjno72 View Post
I have driven my X3 now for 2500km. I mainly drive in heavy traffic for 15km a day and this is my observation.

Stops start consumes more fuel; as every stop is less than 4 seconds, the figure quoted to be the minimum you need to stop for a fuel saving to occur. So I did a controlled test, turns out having the system turned off is more fuel efficient.

I think the system is ineffective when you have to navigate slow moving traffic.
Good to know, thanks!
Old 10-16-2012, 12:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillini View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I've seriously considered the coding option. I would want to purchase the cable and get the software on a blu ray or some media so I didn't have to download it. What's the cost for something like this, say hypothetically speaking?
Contact April1. He can supply a package for you. He is an active contributor here and was very helpful to me when I got started coding eventhough I didn't get the stuff from him. I think he is charging a very reasonable price given the normal cost of buying a cable from outside the country and the effort required to download the software.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2011BMWX3 3.5 Twin Turbo
stop/start feature

Have a 2011 X3.5i and am so happy that this feature was not standard on the 2011 models.
Have driven a 2012 328 with auto stop/start and find it aggravating, especially in slow moving, heavy traffic.
Hopefully the newer BMW models will not be built with stop/start as a standard feature.
I would rather have that as an option.
I have the same issues with run flat tires. A customer should have the option to choose, in my opinion.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:13 PM

Mein Auto: X1 i28 xdrive
Bringing my 2013 x1 in on the 26th to have the stop/start programmed to last command. Dealer said it will take three hours and is giving me a loner for no charge . Got it one month ago tomorrow!
Old 04-22-2013, 05:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 35i M-Sport
In the mean time...just make it a habit to push the start button with your "fu" finger and then the start stop button deactivation with your "pointer" finger. Once it becomes habit, you wont even know that you are taking that tiny extra effort. Problem solved.
Old 04-22-2013, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3
Latest Psdzdata Version?

Post deleted. Will post under a different thread.

Last edited by erkbiz; 04-22-2013 at 11:04 AM.